Author Topic: Killing a legend yields no XP.  (Read 5187 times)

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
Killing a legend yields no XP.
« on: August 03, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
But for some reason, we feel really good about ourselves when we kill bugs.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Killing a legend yields no XP.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:13:08 AM »
What level are you? She was drastically reduced in her CR to make more sense for her location (think she's CR 16 now, was CR 30 something before).

Naomy

• Outlander
  • what color shall be for today...?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 10:56:33 AM »
and looking for the pic it was not high spawn it woulçd have been icy giants there not those other monsters  :mrgreen: but that does not always mean bad xp ..
Elrawiel- The pur.. mean white wizard
Ririm Ironfist- the prist.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 01:48:05 PM »
What level are you? She was drastically reduced in her CR to make more sense for her location (think she's CR 16 now, was CR 30 something before).

Might I ask why the whole area got a difficulty nerf? Personally, I always liked the forbidding challenge of making my way through the area while being pressed by the threat of slowly freezing to death? It was a tough mid-level dungeon (on high spawn).

Not to say Jezra didn't need a slight knock down, but curious why my Mummies are gone. They spoke like Gremishka and made me laugh. :lol:
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:54:17 PM »
We're trying to keep Barovia low to mid-level, with higher-level stuff for other domains. If it can't be moved like Perfidus was, it will be nerfed instead.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:36 PM »
Wasn't it already a mid-level dungeon, though? Save for Jezra herself, who felt a tad out of place being so powerful, I didn't think the place was particularly difficult for a group of level 10's (on high spawn).

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
Wasn't it already a mid-level dungeon, though? Save for Jezra herself, who felt a tad out of place being so powerful, I didn't think the place was particularly difficult for a group of level 10's (on high spawn).
Yes and no. The other part of the plan involves keeping the Vallaki side of the Balinoks lower-level challenge than the Village side.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
Meh, ah well. I liked the Palace how it was. It was fun and challenging, but not impossible. Guess I'll just have to find another place to stomp around.

I guess this means we can expect more mountain areas out in the way of Port/Village sometime soonish?

On a side note; Does this mean the Silver Mine is gonna get nerfed a bit, too?

Naomy

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
need to get amaril to the invidians wen i back  :mrgreen:

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 05:50:39 PM »
need to get amaril to the invidians wen i back  :mrgreen:

Aww, She remembered! :lol:

Ternce

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 05:55:44 PM »
Korvek is level 11, Bergthorr, who i was with, is also level 11.  The dungeon was on maximum spawn.  If it was a low spawn, I'd hate to see it on high spawn.  In the room before hers, there were probably 30 snow golems.

That dungeon, by the way was awesome, because OOCly I was scared.  I was scared out of character because of the build up of that NPC, and the only reason we fully explored it was because we thought:  "She's not going to be in here really, because they wouldn't put a canon guy in a place where you could kill her."   Then Berg fell off the bridge, and I had to follow, and then there was that terrifying moment of:  "Oh god.  That's her." 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:59:48 PM by Ternce »

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:06:53 PM »
Korvek is level 11, Bergthorr, who i was with, is also level 11.  The dungeon was on maximum spawn.  If it was a low spawn, I'd hate to see it on high spawn.  In the room before hers, there were probably 30 snow golems.

Uhm.... Sorry about that ^^' That was my fault. It's been reported, that's not supposed to happen.

Geiger

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:03:08 AM »
We're trying to keep Barovia low to mid-level, with higher-level stuff for other domains. If it can't be moved like Perfidus was, it will be nerfed instead.

Why though? I just think that makes this place like every other MMO out there. Keep Barovia the way it is (and only balance over farmed areas as well as maybe.. just 'ending' some of the dungeons and making new ones) - also.. why not just split the server into two and basically have the civilized Port for people who want to be all smiley and tea-kettle... and the dirty, dirty peasants in Barovia dirty and smelly? Make it so people can choose backgrounds from the other domains and just make Barovia and the Port two entry points you can take with your characters.

The only reason why people never leave the outskirts is because everything too easy and convenient - there are no real penalties IG for being an Outlander Scum or a Caliban or obvious wizard. Things need to be harder. Expand Barovia! Make more dungeons in Barovia and other hubs.. seriously.. Krezk and other areas would be a lot cooler than adding parts of random not-even-touching Barovia domains. I would die irl to be able to actually -travel- from Vallaki to Zeidenberg or Immol! The only exception I could see would be opening Dementlieu up for new people as well as it has just as dark setting, but is more 'tolerant, civilized' in respects than Barovia and might allow people to really get used to the server before going to B-rove.

...Please don't make Barovia easy! I beeeeeg you.

WildPirate13

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »
I think the CR tables should be public myself, since they were for a long time and many people have already had access to them. Have CR's been lowered? Like Jerza?

Barovia is still hard as hell for my mid levels.

Naomy

• Outlander
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:02 AM »
hopefully the invidians won't be nerfed to i have my issues wen is on high spawn with the chosen one with a +5 yeapon is deadly and fun  :mrgreen:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 11:40:33 AM »
And no Devon, the CR tables shouldn't be open at all times, they where open to allow a certain amount of testing, and it was meant to be temporary.

And its not hard to guess what levels you can deal with what creatures if you actually try

WildPirate13

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:48:58 PM »
fine.. sniff.. I should have copied and pasted it.. damnit!  :lol:

Ternce

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 03:03:02 AM »
So I've decided I'm loudly against this rebalancing.  Korvek has existed for over a year, and I have feared that dragon every day of his existence.  Today, we went in and killed it with 0 damage taken by our level 10 party.  I don't like that Barovia is being tuned way down to be Noobie-ville.  It's counterproductive to the Gothic Horror setting because at that point, you can just kill everything.  I'm not scared of Baratak anymore.  I'm not scared of the Mines anymore.  I don't think there's anything preventing me from being the next Darklord of Barovia, if even Strahd himself suffers the same fate as the other near legendary beings.

I for one, don't like it.  It makes the game feel like any other MMO. 

I'd like to offer the following suggestion:

Make other areas more accessible at early levels to promote exploration instead of just ruining the higher level areas in Barovia that should be rightfully feared.

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 03:36:58 AM »
My Dwarf who spent all of his 60+ years bettering hisself and praying to his god that his home will stand another day.

And he sneezed on his main antagonist, and it exploded basically.
And he's a level 12 Dwarf paladin.

It's not like he's some super epic Haustfer, but just.. A guy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 03:40:18 AM by Bato »

Geiger

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 03:38:31 AM »
I stood back and watched with little fear of what was to come.

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 04:02:49 AM »
I laid the killing blow on the dragon.  The epic battle that his four years of existence were building up to lasted for maybe 60 seconds of us mostly missing because of 90% concealment, and then we got a few lucky hits in and found him to be made of styrofoam.  I took zero damage, Unni took zero damage, Korvek took zero damage, Thunn took zero damage, and some new level 3 guy took zero damage.  Then later I opened a chest and was killed by 80 fire damage which ate through a cape of the fire bath and a potion of elemental warding - all to get 124 gold.

All in all, I guess Lorm wasn't totally idle - but I felt he could easily perform better against challenges more suited to the Norse god status that Lorm has risen to.  Maybe it's time to kill that pansy-ass Anubis, or Zeus.  Just hope they don't have traps on their garbage cans. 
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:33 AM »
If you need greater challenges, there's Har'Akir and Perfidus, as well as the many areas around the Village of Barovia. The greatest foes around the western Barovia remains a great challenge - just not to level 14+.

Part of the issue with Jezra and the other places was that the challenge gap between spawns even at high spawn was immense. If you could beat the end of the dungeon, all the beginning of the dungeon was a plain walk-over. If you had a fair challenge when facing those at the beginning of the dungeon, you would be without a chance of getting just haflway through.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 04:11:56 AM by Zarathustra217 »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 04:13:25 AM »
Oh, not to mention that the extremely high CR bosses challenged if not surpassed even Strahd in strength, making them improper for the domain where he is intended to be the all-overarching threat.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:16:17 AM »
Zalaph has always been a cake walk when not DM controlled, same with Jezra

Geiger

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:09 AM »
Even Har'Akir is a cake walk. Dry liches are no problem - when on high spawn most of the area is easy for a good group of 3 people. With those very same Dwarves  Korvek as tank, Unni as DPS, my wizard as buffer.. it's a cake walk. It's not so much the 'challenge' - that we are complaining about.. it's that Barovia is being nerfed down to 'derp level' - why even be scared of the night if everything starts getting 'easy' at level ten. Why even explore other lands, if they eventually become Obsolete and you 'win'? Why not keep most of the monsters and person in Barovia under Strahd, or areas of his servants and actually expand that domain? You could easily have higher up, higher CR dungeons in Barovia.. in more areas, with more places you can travel to on foot.

Har'Akir mind you is cool.. but I don't feel like this direction with Barovia will at all help the server but make it WoW. It'll get boring and there will be no sense of exploration or adventure. Barovia's one thing was looming danger at every corner. There should be decrepit fortresses and deep, dark mines.. and old abandoned temples. Dead towns filled with vile spirits. There should be horrors to explore in Barovia itself. More puzzles, more things that encourage people to want to learn about Barovia!

I really don't want to off to foreign lands with little reason being there other than to.. just kill the things there. It's why Dementlieu, Har'Akir, and all the other domains are boring to myself. You have no other reason to be there than to kill stuff. At least with Barovia.. you could be a native, live your life - be 'normal'.

I dunno man, just seems a dumb thing to do - and I am not trying to disrespect. I really feel like a lot of my characters are now pointless to even exist because my Dwarf was working to perhaps to one day stop the Tremors, or die trying.. or maybe just find a new place for the Dwarves to move to. My Gundarakite (which has a very awesome RP plot going on and is very fun especially hanging out with Ternce and being 'normal') - will basically get to a point where there will be nothing to do but loiter outside the Temple and brood. Are we ever going to be able to go and explore the dark forests of Barovia, see Krezk, Immol or Zeidenberg? Or are we just going to get more areas that server no other purpose than to farm.

/end rant|tears|buttraeg|sadness
(Don't get me wrong, I love this place because of the difficulty and the dark fear it can inspire at times.. but some of these changes that have already happened have really taken a lot of the mystery and fun of even playing)