You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Question about Weapon Corrosion  (Read 2045 times)

Silvi Wildflower

• New to the Mists
Question about Weapon Corrosion
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »
Basically, I didn't realize that puddings and slimes can corrode weapons (even though it's pretty common sense, I know), and I lost a weapon that I was using against a pudding.  At first I thought I was disarmed, so I searched the area but couldn't find it.  I asked someone else, they told me the above corrosion statement, and that when a weapon is corroded, it should go back into your bag as a corroded weapon which can be repaired by a smith.  Unfortunately though, there is no corroded item in my bags, so I wasn't sure if that was the case or that they can just disappear...  Anyways, ust hoping to get a bit of clarification to see what may have happened.  Thanks!

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Question about Weapon Corrosion
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:20:59 AM »
Nope. What happens is, if you fail a Dex save (I think it was Dex), the weapon gets corroded. A second fail, and the weapon is dissolved and gone forever. The weapon will never go into your inventory. You need to watch the combat messages for the corrosion message, but with all those 'too many instructions' messages it's a bit hard to see. And yes, a smith can fix the corroded item.

Edit: Rust monsters eat metal items. Most puddings eat any item. Grey oozes are pretty much the only ooze that'll eat items. For the most part, these are the ones to watch out for.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Silvi Wildflower

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Nope. What happens is, if you fail a Dex save (I think it was Dex), the weapon gets corroded. A second fail, and the weapon is dissolved and gone forever. The weapon will never go into your inventory. You need to watch the combat messages for the corrosion message, but with all those 'too many instructions' messages it's a bit hard to see. And yes, a smith can fix the corroded item.

Edit: Rust monsters eat metal items. Most puddings eat any item. Grey oozes are pretty much the only ooze that'll eat items. For the most part, these are the ones to watch out for.

Thanks for your help!  What would you recommend someone to use against them if magic isn't an option?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »
Iron knuckles

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
Running around with a sling. Though this takes awhile with large versions.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »

Thanks for your help!  What would you recommend someone to use against them if magic isn't an option?

Leave. Theres no point in fighting them. Come back later to see if theyve despawned. its what pretty much everyone else does that doesnt have access to offensive magic. Their grossly overpwereed for their threat rating. Its basically a 3cr monster that can kill most everything on the server if its an encounter in an enclosed envorinment.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
Iron knuckles

That will be perfect when you want them to kill you
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:50:10 PM »
Iron Knuckles as a weapon, but you need to use some form of acid protection

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Iron Knuckles as a weapon, but you need to use some form of acid protection

A black pudding can burn thru bottled elemental ward in about 2 rounds. If its an encounter in a closed environment and you dont have access to offensive magic the best option is to just leave. If you get into melee with them and they pin you its all over. I dont care how buffed you are. The threat they pose is so grossly disproportinate to any exp or treasure they have that I really dont see any reason to fight them when I encounter them. I just run and hope they dont crowd the zone I just vacated. Whoever goes thru it is liable to die.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
hehe, remember when acid varnish was the most common varnish around? 
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »
hehe, remember when acid varnish was the most common varnish around? 

I still use acid varnishes all the time. The silly part is where I will go and fight hordes of scrag elders to collect the components rather than face a few black puddings because its safer.