You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ranger - "Observe your prey" bonus  (Read 1974 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Ranger - "Observe your prey" bonus
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:28 AM »
Having read a new topic on ranger effectivness brought an idea. Much like as rogues gaining xp for rogue-ing, there might be ways to get some ranger class specific bonus.

Observing enemy:
- Some special feat maybe, with a command....a ranger observes his prey for 1 turn and if remained unnoticed he gains a little combat bonus against it or xp much like rogues receive some when stalking past a foe. Or perhaps....rangers receive a combat bonus against the observed enemy for the equal turns as they observed it --> Observing a wolf for 3 turns (3 mins) unnoticed by it, will give the ranger + 1 AB for 3 turns.

This would enhance rangerish- roleplay more. To further the idea....when in a group, let the ranger observe a single foe, weaknesses, strength, and it'd give the party some smaller bonus against it. (like paladins' give courage bonus). This can give different bonuses.
Observing venomous creatures would offer a small bonus of fort save (like +1 for a couple of turns)
Observing a stalking creature would give the party some bonus to their senses. (Technically the ranger shows them how to spot the foe hunting that area)
Observing hulking creatures would give the party some bonus to their Discipline. (The ranger shows them what kind of attack the creature would try, and how to avoid it)

What you think?

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Ranger - "Observe your prey" bonus
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:58:56 AM »
I probably wouldn't bother getting these benefits if they're so small.  :|

I never really understood the sneaking xp system, but it sounds like that system might be good enough for getting a reward for observing enemies. It's supposed to give xp for sneaking 'past' things, but what if you sneak up to something, and then sneak away again?

Indriya

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:11 AM »
Sounds like a fun idea, though I don't know if it would be worthwhile or not.
Plays: Shalyre, Sol'ryn, Athanyl, Arivanna

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »

I never really understood the sneaking xp system, but it sounds like that system might be good enough for getting a reward for observing enemies. It's supposed to give xp for sneaking 'past' things, but what if you sneak up to something, and then sneak away again?

you dont get xp for sneaking past something without killing it. none.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »

Actually, You do. I tested this recently on the temp server and you do, in fact, get experience if you successfully sneak past/around an enemy under the stipulation that what you are sneaking past is actually a challenge for your level.

For example, your level 18 rogue with +50 Hide/MS won't get xp sneaking past a few ogre berserkers, but if a level 5 Rogue did, he'd prolly get some xp, however minute it may be.

Has to be a 'challenge' as determined by a computer: With numbers.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 06:38:55 PM »

Actually, You do. I tested this recently on the temp server and you do, in fact, get experience if you successfully sneak past/around an enemy under the stipulation that what you are sneaking past is actually a challenge for your level.

For example, your level 18 rogue with +50 Hide/MS won't get xp sneaking past a few ogre berserkers, but if a level 5 Rogue did, he'd prolly get some xp, however minute it may be.

Has to be a 'challenge' as determined by a computer: With numbers.

This sounds like it falls under the classic dilemma of sneeking in POTM however. The things you can sneek past you really dont need to. The things you need to sneek past you cant.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »
This is something like the mark a target or foe or something isnt it from ed4?

btw. i think if rangers would be able to make barkskin potions from something that only they are able to make for would be a slightly bit better.
Like oak tree chunk, or yew tree trunk or something. Ofc this should only apply to pure ranger classes without ANY cross classes.

This would help them a bit, they dont have to run to Degannwy all the time, and they could support other chars.
Currently playing:

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 02:17:59 PM »
Ofc this should only apply to pure ranger classes without ANY cross classes.

Ranger spells are halved from druid. Why would it require a pure ranger when druids gain that spell at level 2. One would think, keeping with classes, that a level 4 ranger can brew it. If not then a level 6, which is a considerable amount of levels to put into a ranger.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 03:45:40 PM »
Ofc this should only apply to pure ranger classes without ANY cross classes.

Ranger spells are halved from druid. Why would it require a pure ranger when druids gain that spell at level 2. One would think, keeping with classes, that a level 4 ranger can brew it. If not then a level 6, which is a considerable amount of levels to put into a ranger.

limit it to at least level 7 than. Since in 3.5 rangers get it on that level.
Currently playing: