You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Large Black Puddings  (Read 6359 times)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
Re: Large Black Puddings
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »
The closest place to Vallaki that I know that they spawn is the tunnels that go between Vallaki and Dvergeheim, but those lie east of the Outskirts. Is there somewhere near the Orphanage that they can spawn? I can't imagine that they'd spawn anywhere other than underground somewhere.

They can randomely spawn in the cave complexes near the orphanage. As someone posting has mentioned they can be very deadly for low to moderate characters so its not uncommon for PCs without offensive spellcasting abilities to simply run when they see them. (Their really isnt any point in fighting them since their a 3cr monster that can kill a fully buffed mid-teens PC in 3-4 rounds. You gain nothing from them relative to the danger they pose.) If the PC is detected the puddings are often times fast enough to keep up with a fleeing PC thus having them wind up across transition boundaries. In an open environment their manageable, but in an enclosed environment they are probably the most dangerous thing on the server. Nice balance with those BTW.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:33:03 AM by respawnaholic »

vlowe72

• Undead Master
  • If you bore me, I shall take my revenge.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I've had slimes follow me all the way from the caves in the southern woods to the outskirts.  Not sure why they're so relentless, unless it has to do with their slow movement.

And now ladies and gentlemen comes the time where I relieve you of the burden of your failed and useless lives.  But if you gotta go, go with a smile!

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 06:45:09 PM »
I'd say they're alright, if the CR were jacked a bit, and the things gotten from them alchemy-wise were also jacked up a bit.  Relegate them to the upper echelon of dungeons, so that people with the means to fight them will figure out ways to fight them.

Alternatively, or additionally, it would be a more winnable situation for all involved if they didn't split indefinitely.  Under non-bludgeoning damage have one LARGE turn into two MEDIUM, turn into two SMALL, and then have them die.  Even if you're using an axe or whatnot.  Have small still die outright, and medium split into two small and die.  This way, it is still winnable for the guards of Dvergeheim or what have you EVENTUALLY win out, and the universe doesn't implode upon itself with such rampant defilement of the law of conservation of mass.

Really, you start out with 5 gallons of pudding, you'll not end with infinity-gallons of pudding unless Jesus came down and mistook them for loaves of bread and fish.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »
I'd say they're alright, if the CR were jacked a bit, and the things gotten from them alchemy-wise were also jacked up a bit.  Relegate them to the upper echelon of dungeons, so that people with the means to fight them will figure out ways to fight them.

Alternatively, or additionally, it would be a more winnable situation for all involved if they didn't split indefinitely.  Under non-bludgeoning damage have one LARGE turn into two MEDIUM, turn into two SMALL, and then have them die.  Even if you're using an axe or whatnot.  Have small still die outright, and medium split into two small and die.  This way, it is still winnable for the guards of Dvergeheim or what have you EVENTUALLY win out, and the universe doesn't implode upon itself with such rampant defilement of the law of conservation of mass.

Really, you start out with 5 gallons of pudding, you'll not end with infinity-gallons of pudding unless Jesus came down and mistook them for loaves of bread and fish.

even normal oozes dont die that way.
As i noticed if you keep using slashing or piercing weapons against them, most of them just start to divide into lesser beings, once i had 22 minor oozes follow me....and i could not kill em because i did not have blunt weapons beside my fists, but with an ac of 18 it was too risky...(and could not overcome their dr with the piercing slashing weapons.)
They wont die from slashing or piercing weapons just go down to near death, where they stay invincible till blunt weapon or spell hits em.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »
Right, and blunt or magic could still kill a large, medium, or small outright.  I'm just saying don't have them split forever and ever once they reach the small stage, just have them die at that point.  That way, it still makes things a lot more difficult to fight them the 'dumb way' over the 'smart way', but you will eventually kill them.  NPCs will eventually kill them, maybe.  Low levels won't be swarmed with the 20s of them upon transitioning.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2011, 07:31:48 PM »
This is how the black pudding (and likely other oozes) are supposed to split according to the SRD. No idea if this is how it works currently or not, as I use slings against oozes whenever possible.

Split (Ex)

Slashing and piercing weapons deal no damage to a black pudding. Instead the creature splits into two identical puddings, each with half of the original’s current hit points (round down). A pudding with 10 hit points or less cannot be further split and dies if reduced to 0 hit points.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:29 PM »
The script for the black pudding splitting is just a modified version of the one Bioware made for the ochre jelly.

EDIT: the modifications were for the types of damage that affect them, eg ochre jellies split when hit by electrical attacks, black puddings do not.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 05:54:02 AM »
Black Puddings weakness seem to be magic missile or the monk. And they are tough even for my lvl 12 character. They are truly a nightmare more so than a vampire. That is something wrong when you fear a pudding over a vampire.

Make it possible to make a type of muck bane.

My idea for one on this server.

Take ash or oak wood. Fashion a club or quarterstaff and cover it with treant sap to keep the ooze from eating it.

It would be a mundane club or quarterstaff except it wont take damage from the ooze:)

The wood worker making these will make a small fortune until others figure it out. ;)

dark_majico

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »
Black Puddings weakness seem to be magic missile or the monk. And they are tough even for my lvl 12 character. They are truly a nightmare more so than a vampire. That is something wrong when you fear a pudding over a vampire.

Thats not really true, the fear of a primordial, emotionless, relentless creature can be more frightening than any creature with at least some intelligance. Hence the 1958 film the Blob, its being remade and release date is planned for 2012, watch out for that one folks  :fonzie:

Gary T

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 11:29:20 AM »
I think we can work with this:

"An evil dark plague has descended on Barovia, coughed up from the bowels of the land.  The result of Pitics, Outlanders, cultists, and witches journeying where no man was meant to go.  It devours everything in sight...who or what will rise up to face this latest scourge?!"

The garda can make desperate pleas for volunteers, the cultist's can have all night pray-ins...heck it may even get desperate enough to call Strahd down from yon high to lead the charge...at night of course:).

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 07:49:47 PM »
I think we can work with this:

"An evil dark plague has descended on Barovia, coughed up from the bowels of the land.  The result of Pitics, Outlanders, cultists, and witches journeying where no man was meant to go.  It devours everything in sight...who or what will rise up to face this latest scourge?!"

The garda can make desperate pleas for volunteers, the cultist's can have all night pray-ins...heck it may even get desperate enough to call Strahd down from yon high to lead the charge...at night of course:).

Yeah. good luck with that. My characters will take a vacation in Port Lucine until the wizards deal with ti.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
I'd be scared if dessert tried to eat me, too.
Draxiss - Survival. It's what's for dinner.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 05:47:58 AM »
Our version of the black puddings actually only eat up metal weapons, so wooden weaponry is likely the way to go.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 08:08:39 AM »
Our version of the black puddings actually only eat up metal weapons, so wooden weaponry is likely the way to go.

Running from them is the way to go.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:18 AM »

Running from them is the way to go.

i agree.
Wooden weaponry is not working they eat it up, like the rest of the stuff. As i mentioned on the first page, i kept two clubs on my char. Wooden ones just for the black puddings.
They ate it up, and hickuped and said, now it is time for your chain shirt! That is when i ran. So, no, wooden weaponry did not work:(

and are they cr7 as well? cuz someone mentioned that the large black puddings are cr 3 here, and the link Blue posted said they are cr 7.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 10:46:06 AM by Ercvadasz »
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 10:45:34 AM »
I remember back when I first started, we had a group of four 6th level characters encounter a cave system full of Ocher Jellies. We put our weapons away and stomped our way through them. We didn't have any protection from elemental damage, only occasionally got hit, and was damaged around 8 hp per hit. Good times.

Now of course I don't dare melee with them. Even with elemental protection, they rarely miss and do 11-15 points of damage when they hit.  They also manage to stay right on my heels when I run so unless I have a huge open area to run around it I do not dare try an use a sling. Black puddings? Death incarnate, I run at the first sight of them.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:52 AM »
I keep a quarterstaff on me for random encounters with Black Puddings.  I've never had a problem with them.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »
I keep a quarterstaff on me for random encounters with Black Puddings.  I've never had a problem with them.

I'm happy for you. For my characters, they are insanely deadly.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

dark_majico

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 06:10:40 AM »
I keep a quarterstaff on me for random encounters with Black Puddings.  I've never had a problem with them.

I defeat Black Pudding with my mitie Frying Pan of Imobilization (+1), once stunned I fry it gently over a low/medium heat for 10 minutes where I finish it off with a handfull of mushrooms, a side of hienz baked beans, and plumb tomotaoes. Not so scary if you have the right gear.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:36 PM »
I keep a quarterstaff on me for random encounters with Black Puddings.  I've never had a problem with them.

I defeat Black Pudding with my mitie Frying Pan of Imobilization (+1), once stunned I fry it gently over a low/medium heat for 10 minutes where I finish it off with a handfull of mushrooms, a side of hienz baked beans, and plumb tomotaoes. Not so scary if you have the right gear.

Not so scarey if your a monk.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2011, 01:50:32 PM »
As for where they can spawn....I have seen them in every cave around Vallaki at one time or another, from Zeklos to Midway, except for the Hobgoblin cave and the wolf cave to the East of the Elf enclave.  Those are the ONLY exceptions that actually come to mind.  In every other cave, its literally been, at one point, walk in, see oozes/puddings, walk back out.  Seriously.  Obviously they don't spawn in the actual dungeons themselves (Zeklos, Crypts, Ruined Monestary, etc.), but every place where the spawn can be random seems to generate them.

And as for how to deal with them...Well, as was mentioned, running is usually the best option if you don't have a monk.  One buffed monk, however, runs through them like a hot knife through butter.  My L10 wizard buffed a L10 monk and just stood back, watching her kill WELL over 100 Large and Medium Ochre Jellies in a particular location one dungeon run.  I literally got bored watching her carnage and would throw in an occaional Magic Missile, Flame Arrow, or Firebrand just to liven things up on my end.

So, it seems puddings/oozes literally are Paper, monks are Scissors, and the rest of us are just Rocks.   :lol:

Gary T

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »
Yeah, Carina gets bored fighting black puddings:) She can take like 5 of the large ones at a time. It's those damn Hook Horrors that cut through her.  But isn't that the way it is supposed to be, so that we are all interdependent on each other?