Author Topic: Large Black Puddings  (Read 6409 times)

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
Large Black Puddings
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »
Yesterday a post was made by a DM, asking that the Large Black Puddings not be led to civilization areas. Some hours later, six PCs were dead to 10-12 Large black puddings on the transition right by the Orphanage.

Today, two low levels were ambushed on the same transition by the orphanage by at least 6? DM Vixen helped, and I am grateful

I am unsure if they are supposed to spawn in the area, but there have been reports these puddings are also being spotted in the slums as well. They are very deadly, doing 13-15 damage at least to my character on one hit, so its not good for low levels.

Some of us aren't sure if this is a natural spawn now in these areas, or if they are simply being dragged to these areas where Low levels travel. Either way, I offered to make this post so the Devs and DMs were aware of the issue.

Save the Lowbies! Stop the Puddings!  :mrgreen:

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

WildPirate13

Re: Large Black Puddings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
Devon had puddings for lunch yesterday it was awesome.. sprinkle some sugar on them and tasty.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
I noticed these on the Old Svalich Road just west of Vallaki and it didn't seem like they were right for the zone - it makes sense that someone might have "pulled" them from another location... ugh

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »
The closest place to Vallaki that I know that they spawn is the tunnels that go between Vallaki and Dvergeheim, but those lie east of the Outskirts. Is there somewhere near the Orphanage that they can spawn? I can't imagine that they'd spawn anywhere other than underground somewhere.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 07:59:22 PM »
The closest place to Vallaki that I know that they spawn is the tunnels that go between Vallaki and Dvergeheim, but those lie east of the Outskirts. Is there somewhere near the Orphanage that they can spawn? I can't imagine that they'd spawn anywhere other than underground somewhere.

they can spawn in the nearby caves as well. There are two caves that specially have a chance of triggering a pudding spawn, one is near the oprhanage just on the southern part of the map, the cave with the two levels.... the other one is in the sullen woods, the northern cave. These two caves have the chance of having pudding spawn, allthough on rare times i even saw some puddings south of vallaki in the cave....So it is the random caves that spawn them. Would be good to remove them from the random spawn/encounter table in these instances, since they are even a deadly foe above level 9....especially since they even eat wooden clubs away too....(i had two wooden clubs since they eat steel, apparantly they are not that picky!:)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Vissitude

• Dark Lord
  • "Ni ceart go cur le cheile"
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:12:05 PM »
Problem is, that once they lock target they follow and keep following, which is why I think they are being dragged closer to areas like the City, Transition by the Orphanage and Outskirts. They just keep following the target that they caught sight of.

Like I said. My character is level 15, and just one of them was doing close to 13-15 Damage. For most level 2-4 Characters, that's insta-death when there's more than one of these puddings attacking them.

I agree, that it might be a good idea to take them out of the random encounter, or at least the random encounters that are around the low level dungeon areas such as the Orphanage.

my :twocents:

"Maireann croi eadrom i bhfad"

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:51 PM »
Hmm. I'm surprised the random cave spawns are willing to chase so far away from their cave. Maybe we can fix that?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Geiger

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »
A while back an errant one had killed the whole of Dvergeheim. They will eat all your shield, weapon and your armor. lol.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 09:50:21 PM »
A while back an errant one had killed the whole of Dvergeheim. They will eat all your shield, weapon and your armor. lol.

basicly everything, you can fight them with fists (monks go get them!) or slings or pistols, but basicly slings and run is your best option....but yeah they need some serious readjustment, many of the npcs have no blunt weapons, therefore they dont stand a chance against these creatures, i remember someone told me that just two puddings once wiped the whole town of dvergenheim, because poor sod dwarves had only pickaxes and axes and no hammers....:(
or maybe if possible they should not eat wooden things, so folks can fight them with clubs, and poke out their eyes with big stafffs(:D)
Currently playing:

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »
Probably the easiest fix is to keep them from leaving the caves that they're in (we'd just place a variable on the dungeon exit that will block spawns from using it)--that's what we did for Dvergeheim. It'd help if we knew which caves that close to civilization are spawning them, though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Swiftar

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:54 PM »
Probably the easiest fix is to keep them from leaving the caves that they're in (we'd just place a variable on the dungeon exit that will block spawns from using it)--that's what we did for Dvergeheim. It'd help if we knew which caves that close to civilization are spawning them, though.

They spawn in both Sullen Woods caves, and the Sullen Woods themselves on occasion.  My guess is that those areas are the culprits most of the time.  They also tend to spawn in the random caves to the south of Vallaki (The one area south of the well entrance to the sewers, and then the cave one zone further to the south).

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:04:17 PM »
I've seen puddings in the large 2 floor cave west of Vallaki too.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 11:14:20 PM »
I confirm those places and add the cave behind the waterfall in the southern woods. Well not that cave where the bears are but the first area of the cavern's there.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »
do it like this folks easyer for the devs to adjust without going trough the pages just add your spot.

They spawn in both Sullen Woods caves, and the Sullen Woods themselves on occasion.  My guess is that those areas are the culprits most of the time.  They also tend to spawn in the random caves to the south of Vallaki (The one area south of the well entrance to the sewers, and then the cave one zone further to the south).

I've seen puddings in the large 2 floor cave west of Vallaki too.

confirm those places and add the cave behind the waterfall in the southern woods. Well not that cave where the bears are but the first area of the cavern's there.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Indriya

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 02:03:11 AM »
They seem to be a bit much considering where they appear to be spawning and the fact they murderize high levels handily.
Plays: Shalyre, Sol'ryn, Athanyl, Arivanna

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 02:12:12 AM »
I think I found part of the problem with this situation. I ran over there just a bit ago and ran into no less than twenty miniature-sized Large Black Puddings. Apparently, somebody went and had a field day with a slashing/piercing weapon then ran around like a chicken with its head cut off. They were scattered all over the zones leading toward Zeklos Keep.

I found the cave and wiped it out along with a ton of the mini ones wandering about, but there's probably more. I think we need to start some IC awareness program to the dangers of the Black Puddings. :lol:

Where they spawn:

The Variable caves in the Sullen woods
The Variable caves in the Southern Forest
The Variable caves toward Zeklos Keep (all three of them, apparently)
The long cave that connects from Vallaki to Dvergeheim

Really, I think the damage on the Puddings need to be knocked down just slightly. That'd probably help with the Pudding plague we seem to be having. The Large ones can swing for upwards of 20 damage a shot, which is pretty insane for a low-level creature.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 02:13:27 AM »
black pudding meets wolf?

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:33 AM »

Sullen woods - there is a connection with only one map between the two maps now

@Panda: Black pudding meets eats wolf
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:48:35 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »
The problem we have with the puddings is other monster/NPC's will attack the pudding on sight. 1 pudding becomes 12 and the NPC or monster runs away, dragging a dozen puddings with them, other NPC's come running to fight them and the process is repeated. The other day in question i was killing puddings across four maps, and the Slums was practically deserted because they'd killed everyone in them and in doing so had pulled puddings to the for corners of the map, likewise the other maps had the same issue.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 05:57:13 AM »
the outdoor pudding spawn in the sullen woods, is due the cave has high pudding spawn.

!so to clear things up, black puddings may spawn in any random cave.!

The trigger chance they spawn is low, but it still happens. And when it does nobody dares to enter the cave, because room to fight them is lacking, so they will build up additional spawn, and thus start to appear before the cave, on the outside.
They really need a readjustment.
Currently playing:

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 07:21:54 AM »
Large black puddings are overpowered.

A single one split, repeatedly, and killed the entirety of Dvergeheim which has level 16+ NPC's.

Nerf black puddings imo.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:09 AM »
what I meant was each time a pudding met a wolf, you would get 2 puddings

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
Rock also thinks paper needs a nerf, Just saying, None the less- If puddings are an issue.. get ready for it -DONT FIGHT THEM- Run away!

Who'd guess thier are dangerous and violent things in barovia, play it IC when I see a black pudding its claws up and fistacuffs at the ready, because he knows he can handle it,
Whilst a lowbie might not have the same luck. You have to run rather then fight if you see the blob slurching after you. Also, this may be the work of a griefer from what it sounds, dragging slimes to transitions?

Swiftar

• Outlander
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
If puddings are an issue.. get ready for it -DONT FIGHT THEM- Run away!

The big issue at hand is that running away makes them follow you indefinitely

Indriya

• New to the Mists
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 10:26:55 AM »
I think that people running from them caused the problem with the bunch that came into outskirts and slaughtered people for... what was it, hours? So once one targets you when you stumble across it in a cave, or wherever, you will drag it with you wherever you flee too. >.<
Plays: Shalyre, Sol'ryn, Athanyl, Arivanna