Author Topic: Idea for a new crafting item. Engraver's Kit  (Read 2003 times)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Idea for a new crafting item. Engraver's Kit
« on: July 21, 2011, 06:18:37 AM »
This would work similar to quill and paper, but to crafted weapons by a smithing character.

They can have an engraver's kit.
This will allow them to change the name an description of the item to match is appearance and lock the appearance so that it cant be modified.

Hence a dwarven smith modify and make an axe the way he/she wants it. Then engrave a name on it and a description of what it looks like. Example would be the axe head has a name engraved of it in Dwarven called "Cleaver" It is heavy and bulky but it has been balanced to fit dwarven hands. Something like that.

How it would work is the character would use it like a quill and paper approach and type in a description they want. After they hit enter it will make a smith check against a DC and add the description and lock its appearance.

Is this a possible thing? Would this go well with others?

Miuo

Re: Idea for a new crafting item. Engraver's Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
Hmmm, id be more in favor of actually making this another job. I like this idea, but then how would you keep it from being abused? If it was just tools with no consumables someone could just sit there and repeatedly "engrave" a item to get xp for that job. Id be in favor for making some materials needed, like a single use tool that costed like 1k per tool to use.

Id make the bonuses Dexterity and Wisdom i suppose? Make it a job on its own would allow people to engrave other items for rp use as well. Such as if you find a neat little item you like, lets say something that looks like a small pouch, you could rename it "Bag of Tobacco" or a music instrument you want to give a special name to and describe the details of it.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
I suggested something months ago. The engraver tool would work exactly as the quill and paper. But instead of paper it'd be a token with the name and description for the item. It'd then be added to the, example anvil, crafting station together with all the materials needed to create the item, then if the crafting is successful, the new item then would hold the same name and description found on the, now vanished, token.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:57:37 AM »
Or you just making them roll the crafting check but get no xp from it. Yes, 0 xp for engraving. Its a strictly rp thing mainly for crafters to add details.

Miuo

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »
How would that work though? Wouldn't it have to be vs a specific job? Such as just smithing or fletching? I rather it be a job on its own, since it would be considered more of a "art" to scribe such on items. Would also be good rp for those who want to be Port chars. May be nice as well to just make it so its only available in port, since it is more of a artistic job.

Would also give more reason for people to go to port, besides Dm events, or Vardo. Also would explain why the materials needed would be so costly ^-^

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »
That would work as a job, however it would have to be limited to engraving names and such not details. Details are forged in the blade. Added by adding metals and such. A smith can make a blade how he/she wants the blade to look.

So scratch the just adding details.

Why not make a new craft. Jeweler.
Be able to cut jems, work metals into jewerly as well as help ordinate arms and armor. It can work well with smiths and gilders. And something the port would have.

Miuo

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »
That's where the job gets a bit hinky, since engraving would cover various items, from rings to armor to misc little items. And the job is more of a rp aspect and flavor then something that can give a bonus in game like the other jobs so far. I think it would be fair to allow a Engraver to do both, being stationed in Port, with expensive materials, seems like a good draw back to it.

Also it would mean almost every other crafter would have to seek out a Engraver, or begin learning the art as well, if they wanted to add a higher quality to their items. I rather like the idea of several crafts coming together. As well as seeing more items with flavor to them, not just countless steel fullplates grinded out. As well it would give more rp between chars when someone orders something, they could sit down and discuss with the crafter what they are looking for.

Also be nice to be able to take in items found and have them worked on by craftsmen and have them altered to you're taste. Also would be a nice gold sink with expensive materials to do such.

It would be best if we could create a different material and cost per base item style but i'm not sure how you could make that work and then it seems like there would have to be a ton of different materials to cover all the possible items you could craft. I'm guessing it be easiest to make just two base materials? One for names and one for bios, Bios being the more costly one.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:48:31 AM »
Well as a smith I 90% of the time I modify the template. The only time I really don't is if Im experimenting. Like with gilding.

It will add some flavor to a sword. Can make a sword a family heirloom starting with your character or put a name on the sword, especially if you are enchanting it.

A thing with a jeweler/engraver is his rings can be enchanted. How the system should like this.

For a amulet of natural armor.

You need a gold and silver amulet with a diamond.
You need a magical essence.
You will need some barkskin potions. 5 max if you want +5.
And a character willing to sacrifice the xp.

Example. for an amulet of natural armor +1
You will need on barkskin and it will cost the character 1000 xp to enchant.
The more powerful the item the more xp. Like a +5 would be closer to 10k of xp.

It will give more options for enchanters to learn their craft as well.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:52:42 AM »
10k would be very cheap for a +5 Natural amulet here

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:00:37 AM »
Its just an example. 13k you would have to be lvl 17 to be able to enchant that item. The point is it should be ask much xp as weapons and armor. but it should depend on the power of the item.
A variant xp cost per how powerful the item.

A clicky with like 5 charges of expeditious retreat shouldn't cost as much xp as a ring of protection +2.

engelfire

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 07:49:06 AM »

You need a gold and silver amulet with a diamond.
You need a magical essence.
You will need some barkskin potions. 5 max if you want +5.
And a character willing to sacrifice the xp.

Example. for an amulet of natural armor +1
You will need on barkskin and it will cost the character 1000 xp to enchant.
The more powerful the item the more xp. Like a +5 would be closer to 10k of xp.

It will give more options for enchanters to learn their craft as well.

Just out of topic here.. but can you get +5 items on this server these days... wtf?

And on topic, its just changing the name of the item, it should not be that difficult really. Heck you could just say that this swords name is Belle, even if it says its bastard sword :) Back in the days, i asked dm to rename my necromancers staff and it worked great.
Vino - Who are you calling fat !?
Hekathn - You make a fine collection of bodyparts nnggghhh...

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »
I find out a lot of getting custom requests. Its kind of a burden on the DMs to request text changes all the time. DMs have to monitor players, run events, ect. It would be nice to have changing txt a player option so the DMs can focus on more issues.

Anyway just an idea.

And the idea of enchanting was just an idea. Probably no way in hell there would be a +5 item unless its unique artifact like the Sunsword, amulet of Ravenkind, or something to that effect. Which would be laced with DM plots and a hell of a story progression so that the item is truly earned.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:08:30 AM »
Best items are +3, and they are hardly ever dropped

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 09:19:01 AM »
The items above would never just be drop. Not in a lifetime. They would story plot items and it would be a collaboration of all the DMs not just one, so the items would never be duplicated.

But that is  :offtopic:

Still it would be nice to adjust texts so you don't always have to hit up a DM.