You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Lag  (Read 2593 times)

• Dark Power
Lag
« on: July 17, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
I love potm but here lately the Lag has been so bad, its near unplayable at peek times. Is thier a way fix such or has this been adressed already? :(

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
Re: Lag
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
I have to admit, this is a problem lately. I have not been as active due to the Lag.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 03:51:48 PM »
Likely that has something to do with the server being on for a while without a reset. The other option is that Soren's home can't deal with the bandwith as good as axel's could, not to say it cant but to just say that axel could do it better.

two ideas I think might be the answer, could be wrong though.

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »

After a reset, the lag was unchanged. It seems directly related to the userbase. I imagine the server needs an upgrade or it's pretty pointless attempting anything but stationary rp during peak hours.

WildPirate13

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:59 PM »
I play a fair bit and there has been lag issues but the content is tops so I continue to play here. I have noticed there are lag spikes at times but most of the time it does not cripple me.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Question has the increased of lag been before the server went down and soren took control of hosting it?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:35 PM »
Question has the increased of lag been before the server went down and soren took control of hosting it?

Yes.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 06:23:57 PM »
I think it's just from having 60+ players on, and most of them being in the Outskirts. But if Soren still has left over donation funds, maybe he can upgrade the server a bit.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »

I'd say so.

The number of players has nothing to do with the recent lag -> Unless there was some kind of downgrade on the hardware or bandwidth.
The server always ran pretty fine to me, even back those times, months ago, when we already had 50+ players online. The current amount of Epic lag is recent.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 06:41:27 PM by Purist »

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 06:41:51 PM »
Part of the problem is, the server is no longer at the college and on a home connection so the bandwidth is not as good. The server was just upgraded about a year ago, so it is not hardware, I am going to put my money on bandwidth at the host. Doesn't matter how fast your conection is, you can only go as fast as the host.

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
I believe the lag is more related to how many players there are per area rather than how many total are online.

Basically the load for the server, and thus the chances for lag, increase exponentially with the number of players in the same area as the server has to handle the information about all players to all players. So for every added player there's an exponential growth of resources used e.g. 8 players in an area compared to 4 players in an area creates four times the resource usage rather than twice the resource usage.

This seems backed by the fact that in my experience the lag seems to be at its worst during large events where 20+ players cluster a single area whereas the ping has been relatively low even while those events are in progress.

While upgraded hardware or connection may offer some improvement the most effective remedy might be simply to try and avoid clustering a single zone with more than ~15 people whenever possible.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
While upgraded hardware or connection may offer some improvement the most effective remedy might be simply to try and avoid clustering a single zone with more than ~15 people whenever possible.

Yeah.. Absalom.    :lol: :hug: