Author Topic: Druids and Metal Armor?  (Read 30874 times)

Bato

• Dark Lord
Re: Druids and Metal Armor?
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2011, 01:23:47 AM »
Druid Armour

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2011, 01:30:29 AM »
less is more....or so they say
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2011, 03:08:30 AM »
[Pointing at the above picture]

Now I understand why so many is excited about this topic and want druid to dress accordingly to their oath. 8)

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2011, 03:14:46 AM »
Part of me thinks that's typical geeky-male fantasy of unrealistically-clad women.

The other part of me will be in my bunk.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2011, 08:07:40 AM »
As for what I meant is that the base class, regardless of setting, says that the druid will loss all druid powers for 24 hours if he breaks his druidic oath by wearing metal armor. The one setting of Forgotten Realms (which is NOT a good example to use) allows the followers of one goddess (of dozens) to use light chain armor (as they can wear ranger armors). This is an exception to the rule, and not implying that it's an option for every other possible druid out there. The consideration that a druid could even wear metal splintmail or platemail is absurd.

That is simply wrong. The Iron Kingdoms setting has no restrictions on Druids armor or weapons what so ever and no mention at all of an "Oath".
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2011, 08:09:48 AM »
I have no experience with the Iron Kingdoms, so I can't dispute that. But the D&D ideal of a druid is non-metal. Going against that ideal is kind of extreme. It's a defining trait of the druid.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
I have no experience with the Iron Kingdoms, so I can't dispute that. But the D&D ideal of a druid is non-metal. Going against that ideal is kind of extreme. It's a defining trait of the druid.

That is your opinion. There are all ready two differences from it out of officially published game worlds that I know of and that means there is the possibility of even more, not to mention if a PC comes from a world not covered by any game rules.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »
It's not my opinion. The fact that the mention of non-metal armor is in the class description of the PHB means that it applies automatically, unless the setting feels like being contrary.

And none of the folks wearing metal armor are of any of those contrary settings in the first place, so it's not really much of a defense. But this argument isn't going anywhere, and there's no resolution in sight, so whatever.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
Druid type of armors.
One looks to be a picture of bug parts.
One is made from wood.
Other from crocodile hide.
Last picture is one of an imagine of a Celtic druid in which the druid class was modeled off.

Metal Armor.
One is of platemail
Other is of chainmail.
Last is of scale mail.

All the material has been altered but in different ways. Bug armor, wood, and hide there is no real changing of natural properties. Just some re-working. Like I skin a bear and make a coat. I don't change the properties of the bear's fur or alter it drastically. Wood is shaped by wood tools. You get the idea.

Metal on the other hand is changed drastically from its natural state. It is refined. Iron is mixed with carbon to produced steel. Copper is mixed with tin to produce bronze. Same thing can other metal alloys. The forging process is quite in intensive and changes the metal atomic structure. So a finish product is much different that its natural state. Metal is manufactured.

A druid was a spiritual leader for his/her people. The Celtics had their warrior that used metal armor and such. Not everyone was a druid. A druid chose his/her path to follow and be one closer to the earth. So, in the arguments of a druid would say something along this.
"I wear the protection that nature provides me, not man."
This idea of being close to nature is what makes a druid a druid. Not a fighter or a cleric. That is why they have an oath. An oath to be close to nature or one with nature as it would be.

A knight, fighter, or paladin would probably choose the best protection he/she would get. Hence the metal plate mail. Its because they are trained and they face many opponents with sharp things that are trying to kill them. I don't see them going after bug parts.

The shields don't bother me because there is no real metal shield unless you consider the Mirror Shield. And some metal has to be used in making a shield. Rivets and stuff to hold it together.
But for a druid to willing put on a manufactured steel so that he/she can charge into battle is crazy. Druids don't have to be in thick of battle. That's why they have animals and their followers to help support them and they wield the power of nature. That's right all you druids, get yourselves a few followers to help you. Excellent RP and you don't have to violate your code.

Enough said

I hope this explains why the PHB says the druids can't wear metal armor. And if you play a druid think of what it means. Same with paladins and clerics.

Hanzo

• Undead Master
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2014, 09:28:38 PM »
So I've recently tried my luck as a druid and I keep secretly wishing metal armor is red to me when looking at a shop. Also, I was reading some stuff about Barbarians and just wanted to point out that in 5th Edition Barbarians are getting an AC bonus for wearing no armor!

"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul, an evil sword."

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
« Reply #160 on: December 31, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »

The druid entry in the PH is a template for a very specific, Euro-centric, Celtic-type druid.  So, basically, no other culture type can have such a class, altered in some ways to adhere to that culture, without it being "warped" beyond recognition?  I'm calling BS.  Being a druid is a philosophy and a dedication to nature that grants some divine abilities.  If this wasn't the case, there wouldn't be (or have been) a Druid's Handbook detailing a few dozen other ways to play a druid.

I know this quote is from pretty far back in the thread, but it's so ridiculous that I just had to address it.

I'd like to point that "euro-centric, Celtic-type" druids couldn't call lightning from the sky, summon storms of flame or summon giant flame elementals. The 3.5 edition version of the druid is divorced entirely from the "Celtic-type" druids, who were, in reality, a priest social class that likely worshiped a sun god, not nature (think Belenus). If what you were saying were true, all druids would be required to dress in white robes and wear holly wreaths on their heads. That hasn't been true since 2nd ED. Druids can be played in a myriad of different ways - the Druid Handbook is a great example, where druids from countless environments and cultures are presented, and none of them wear metal armor. I'd also like to point out how cheap it is to hide behind indignation about "euro-centric" cultural ideas in your arguments.

The druid as presented in the PHB is a nature priest who does not only practice a philosophy, but holds a very specific set of religious beliefs. Druids are not concept-priests. They receive power directly from primal nature, granted to them because they worship nature (or a nature deity/nature spirits). The oaths they make to nature are an aspect of those deeply held religious convictions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:59:50 AM by Theorem Of Neutrality »
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #161 on: December 31, 2014, 11:05:13 AM »
I thought I threw in my two cents on this thread a while back but can't find it anymore might be a old one i'm thinking of but!! anyways.

Its very simple people, NWNs is following.. what 3.5 rules? 99.99% of druids when you think DRUID... your not seeing a nature person. ( not saying tree hugger) but a nature priest, or a shaman... people that don't wear metal armor. they wear bones or hides and leather or bark or robes. Hell even WoW had druids weaing no metal armor. while yes there is the "Mikille" WHatever goddess that allowes druids to wear chain.. it seems a bit...cheesey since most could just say. Oh i follow this god so I can... ALl the other druids on this server are going ot look at you like your retarded and not a druid.

Druids take Oaths and part of those Oaths is to not wear Metal armor. I'm sitting here and reading alot of people "Worried" about numbers because CHitin isn't as "Strong" as steel..... Well duh..... Its a bloody bug shell... but stop your complaining. Yes you sadly loose out on the steel plated boots until they mayhaps come out with chitin plated boots... But you take those oaths. We're not saying every druid will follow the same god no. But it has already been said that Milikee-whateve.. ( I suck at spelling) is not allowed as mentioned earlier in this thread be it because of the dark powers cutting you off from your god so said druids that follow that god would find they can't cast their spells in metal armor anymore. I honestly don't know why this keeps coming up I have seen many good druid walking around in chitin armor and they survived just fine with no problems, maybe later on you can make bark armor. or as suggested stone armor... ( mind you i see the second one being heavy as HELL... but thats me).

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #162 on: December 31, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
Druid Armour

I saw a woman wearing something similar in South Beach, Miami once.

She was one of the overdressed ones, as I recall.  :)

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Badelaire

« Reply #163 on: December 31, 2014, 12:04:10 PM »
Mielikki is probably one of the only examples where her druids wear metal armour without breaking their oaths and it's usually elven heirlooms passed down for generations or gifted rather than newly forged pieces. Many become "forest knights" (the Needles of Mielikki and undergo the same sort of combative training as rangers, multiclassing to become Shadowiers and so on. The fact they wear metal armour is a specific development of their faith and the duties the more military arm of Mielikki undergoes against its opponents. That level of martial training is not usually undertaken by other nature deity faiths.

Using another Forgotten Realms example, a druid of Malar (dangerous in some places because clerics of Malar do in fact hunt druids as a whole) would wear the bones, claws, fangs, hides, scales and other salvageable parts of creatures they've hunted and killed as a trophy and testament to their skill at taking down strong prey. To wear metal would not only be seen as abhorrent but also cowardly to a druid of that faith as it does not fit with the Malarite mentality. Other druidic beliefs are that digging and carving into the ground for metal ore is destructive and leaves a lasting scar in nature. There's no balance to a strip mine whereas cutting down a tree and planting a new one is putting back what you take etc etc. The process of forging itself is not a natural but industrial one. There's also the belief (stemming from the Celtic belief that iron blocks magic possibly) that metal cuts off a druid's connection and bond to nature.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:10:51 PM by Badelaire »

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #164 on: December 31, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
On our server, all druids are not allowed to wear metal, regardless of deity.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #165 on: December 31, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »
I find it odd (and I'm not arguing that it's wrong, or that it needs to be changed... I know some of you really like to 100% follow what's in rulebooks and whatnot, so this is more from a philosophical sort of view).... but...

Isn't it a little strange that pre-Industrial societies would have any sort of people that are concerned with wearing metal armor because it's depleting a unsustainable resource? Isn't that the whole gist of this for Druids? They don't were metal armor because it isn't natural and produces waste products and the like? They're scared of pollution and want to urge people to... well.. recycle?

I just find it kinda funny that they would even think that way because as far as I know... in most DnD settings... no culture is going around and strip mining mountains, or going about with heavy equipment and committing deforestation on the scale of what we have in real life. I mean, I get it, it's also a religious ideal for them not to wear metal and all that... but.... how is it that this ideal even came to be? I mean, not including magical or divine sources, are there any DnD settings where humanity or other races have just absolutely destroyed ecosystems in the search for natural resources for industry?

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
« Reply #166 on: December 31, 2014, 09:52:55 PM »

Isn't it a little strange that pre-Industrial societies would have any sort of people that are concerned with wearing metal armor because it's depleting a unsustainable resource? Isn't that the whole gist of this for Druids? They don't were metal armor because it isn't natural and produces waste products and the like? They're scared of pollution and want to urge people to... well.. recycle?

I just find it kinda funny that they would even think that way because as far as I know... in most DnD settings... no culture is going around and strip mining mountains, or going about with heavy equipment and committing deforestation on the scale of what we have in real life. I mean, I get it, it's also a religious ideal for them not to wear metal and all that... but.... how is it that this ideal even came to be? I mean, not including magical or divine sources, are there any DnD settings where humanity or other races have just absolutely destroyed ecosystems in the search for natural resources for industry?

I can understand your sentiment here, but I don't think that's really the reason. In fact, druids of many faiths would probably have their own reasons for not wearing metal. But, I think the standard nature-worshipping druid cares more about how modern trappings separate them from their forest homes - less about other people, more personal and spiritual. Even if a druid isn't forbidden to wear them, it'd be very rare for them to wear a nice tunic, for example.

I know most people aren't as hardcore as myself in their interpretation of the rules, but my druids wouldn't even wear woven fabrics, just to take this sentiment full circle.
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
I find it odd (and I'm not arguing that it's wrong, or that it needs to be changed... I know some of you really like to 100% follow what's in rulebooks and whatnot, so this is more from a philosophical sort of view).... but...

That's not exactly true; just because they could not fathom these types of things  on the level that we have now, doesn't mean they weren't problems. In just one example from the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, the Dalelands Compact states:

"While there are Elves in the forest, the people of the Dales may settle in those lands at their borders, but not reduce the woods, or invade Elven territories.".

So obviously deforestation was at some level an issue to the more nature-centric races/religions.