Author Topic: "Receives something" Spam... an idea!  (Read 1980 times)

Swiftar

• Outlander
"Receives something" Spam... an idea!
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:37:04 PM »
There are times where people have to trade stuff out in the open, and it completely spams the area with "X receives something from Y."  It's a nice system as far as not having to emote receiving/giving something every time, but sometimes the spam is too much...

Is there a way to limit it?  Say if there is a trade happening, and three or more objects are to be traded, maybe have the script report up to three items and three items at most?  So instead of:

X receives something from Y
etc...

You get...

{anything beyond here does not show}

Just a thought.

Nemien Callishan

• Ezrite Anchorite wannabe
  • Dark Lord
Re: "Receives something" Spam... an idea!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Or how about condensing everything in the trade window into one message as it's one transaction?

dark_majico

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 07:04:44 AM »
Scripts fire when certain actions are performed, the most well known and easyest to use is the "If then" function, if X happens then Y will happen, allways in that order. Everytime an item is traded the script fires so Y will allways occur immediately after X, in this case Y is the message that appears publicly saying you traded something, what you cant do is have a further function that says "but no more than X times", because there is nothing there to keep track of that numerical value. Immediately after Y happens the script finishes so when its fired up again you will get identical results and to us that appears as spam.

I really aught to have stuck to my college course in programming, so that I actually might have career prospects in something other than just some sort of vice .  :banghead:

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
...what you cant do is have a further function that says "but no more than X times", because there is nothing there to keep track of that numerical value. Immediately after Y happens the script finishes so when its fired up again you will get identical results and to us that appears as spam.

This is what for there are these things called 'variables'. ;)

If the receive thing is custom rather than something built into NWN, it wouldn't be very hard to script this.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:11:09 PM »
Make the 'receives something' work similar to a whisper. That way it only bothers folks really close, and they are likely the only ones to notice anyways what's being exchanged.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »
Make the 'receives something' work similar to a whisper. That way it only bothers folks really close, and they are likely the only ones to notice anyways what's being exchanged.

Why not just make the display messages the yellow-server text similar to how DM/MPC emotes are handled and it can be sorted in the combat log and not interfere with RP.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 06:51:54 PM »
As a whisper, only the two involved are likely to see it. And they are likely also the only ones that care.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:06 AM »
Actually, I think it makes more sense for all the items to be shown in chat. The chat window is used for things that cannot be shown due to limitations of the Neverwinter Nights engine. Think about what it would look like in real life. While it may make sense for "Person X hands person Y the 5 gold" to go un-noticed, if we remove the system then it opens up the server to cheesing and metagaming. Then I could be in the Lady's Resting Place handing someone a "Flaming Varja Stick of the Epic Ultra-Lich with Strobe Lights and Fog Machine" and it would go un-noticed if not for the trade window. I think it reinforces the setting better if I have to go rent a room first and make an illegal transaction behind closed doors so that I do not run the risk of Kayne seeing my flashing Varjas and throwing down a few grapple checks before crushing my skull with his fists.

He throws rocks at me already.

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:54:06 AM »
Those spam-ey texts can be shortened if the items that are usually exchange owners in large masses, like herbs, are stocked.

Always wondered if it was intentional or simply mechanically unimplementable to have the same kind of herbs stacked in tens as we are usually using (trade, brew, exchange) them 'en masse.

Vardos usually ask people to trade in herbs packed in a box, that pretty much solves it. The most problematic what I've seen so far, is Licuza exchanging knuckles to tonics.

[X recives a bottle from Y]

Yeay...

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0