Author Topic: NWN suddenly will not open.  (Read 2210 times)

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
NWN suddenly will not open.
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:11:15 PM »
Okay so my computer just received an application error message (0xe06d7363) and forced a restart.  Now, anytime I open NWN this message appears and prevents me from playing.  I've searched high and low for a fix or even a description of WTF this error message even means.  Until its fixed I can not play.  Has anyone encountered this before?  Any advice on how to fix?

Attempt 1:  System Restore.  Successfully restored computer.  Failed to fix problem.
Attempt 2: Advanced System Care deep clean.  Failed to fix problem.
Attempt 3: cCleaner deep clean of registry and cookies.  Failed to fix problem.
Attempt 4: AVG security sweep.  0 problems discovered.  Failed to fix problem.

At this point im lost, downing a bottle of jack since its raining and there isnt anything else to do.  My next contemplation is a baseball bat to my laptop.  Please, someone offer those magic words of wisdom that will fix this asap....
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Elfric

• Dark Power
Re: NWN suddenly will not open.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »
Reinstall NWN? That's always an option >_>

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:40 PM »
All I could find on the code:

The Visual C++ compiler uses exception code 0xE06D7363 for C++ exceptions.

Sounds like a NWN program fault. :(
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:36:53 PM »
I agree. It sounds like something in NWN got corrupted. I think reinstalling NWN is probably your best bet to fix it.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:09:16 PM »
I was afraid of that.  Uninstall finished, now to working on reinstall.  Hopefully this fixes it.  If not, time to buy a new laptop cause this one will DIE!

Unfortunately I now have to go and reinstall the countless custom overdrives and stuff I had...  Plus CEP, plus Shader, plus Q....  My god...

This is going to take forever.

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

WildPirate13

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »
ewwww

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 10:46:27 PM »
Reinstall complete...  Now to reinstall all of my bloody overdrives and missing CEP files.

Im noticing a further issue now as well unrelated to NWN.  9/10 times I click on a link in google it is redirecting me to some random page that attempts a download.  Its quite frustrating.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 11:54:22 PM »
Im noticing a further issue now as well unrelated to NWN.  9/10 times I click on a link in google it is redirecting me to some random page that attempts a download.  Its quite frustrating.

Now that sounds like a .......

Not necessarily on your system though. Is it only one particular link that does it 9/10 times or is it happening 9/10 times for any link you try?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:57:22 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:01 AM »
Anything I try on google.  All of my antivirus programs have failed to turn anything up.  On the plus side at least -- I got my game back up and running much quicker than anticipated.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
Hmmm that sounds like some kind of Trojan hijacker re-directing you. Have you tried Malwarebytes? I have found it to be a good program for dealing with malware / trojans and it will not interfere with anti-virus programs.  They have a professional and free version. Below is the link to the free version.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:31:43 PM »
Trying it now.  Hopefully it will kill those redirects.