Author Topic: Suggestion: Endurance feat  (Read 2222 times)

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Suggestion: Endurance feat
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »
I've been wondering for a while now, would it be possible to add a new feat specifically for the Exhaustion system? I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5 feat called Endurance that gives +4 to constitution checks (or whatever it is, can't recall) to avoid non-lethal damage for strenuous activity.

I was thinking, maybe we could have a similar feat here, but instead have it increase the exhaustion threshold of a character by 4 or something. I'm sure many people would like something like it and would definitely server as a RP feat for the more active characters that like to run around a lot. I'm not sure if this is even possible with how we have the system set up, but It'd be nice to see.

Thoughts? Comments?
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Suggestion: Endurance feat
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Here is the info on said feat, sat least the pathfinder version. I think a feat like this could've helpful for some people

Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on the following checks and saves:
Swim checks made to resist nonlethal damage from exhaustion;
Constitution checks made to continue running;
Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from a forced march;
 Constitution checks made to hold your breath;
Constitution checks made to avoid nonlethal damage from starvation or thirst;
Fortitude saves made to avoid nonlethal damage from hot or cold environments;
 and Fortitude saves made to resist damage from suffocation.

You may sleep in light or medium armor without becoming fatigued.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
I've been wondering for a while now, would it be possible to add a new feat specifically for the Exhaustion system? I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5 feat called Endurance that gives +4 to constitution checks (or whatever it is, can't recall) to avoid non-lethal damage for strenuous activity.

I was thinking, maybe we could have a similar feat here, but instead have it increase the exhaustion threshold of a character by 4 or something. I'm sure many people would like something like it and would definitely server as a RP feat for the more active characters that like to run around a lot. I'm not sure if this is even possible with how we have the system set up, but It'd be nice to see.

Thoughts? Comments?

I see where your comming from with this, but I think it would be a mostly useless feat in that right now people that choose to run around will do so until they hit exhaustion...or in some cases until they hit extreeme exhaustion anyway. I dont think most people let the fatigue system govern how they choose to travel. All this feat would really be doing is postponing what they'd already be doing for like an extra minute or two. I say better to do away with exhaustion entirely. Its clearly not working to curb the behavior it was inflicted on us for anyway, and its a sketchy rule to begin with.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »
I like the idea of an Endurance feat that gives a bonus in dealing with exhaustion, although based on the pen-and-paper version it should also give a bonus to Fortitude saves dealing with Barovia's cold weather damage and lengthen the time before a character becomes starving for food and is penalized in rest-induced healing.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:03:37 PM »

I see where your comming from with this, but I think it would be a mostly useless feat in that right now people that choose to run around will do so until they hit exhaustion...or in some cases until they hit extreme exhaustion anyway. I don't think most people let the fatigue system govern how they choose to travel. All this feat would really be doing is postponing what they'd already be doing for like an extra minute or two.

This
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

dark_majico

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:03:19 AM »
I have only been exsausted 5 times since the system was put in and I run around as much as I walk, and my pc has a low strength score and im quite often reaching my weight limit when I pick up things. I think the exsaustion thing is greatly over exagurated by most people who talk about it. I cant really see why this feat would be much use, good idea though, I just think that with what system we have in place, it not going to make much of a differense.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 01:37:10 AM »
I have only been exsausted 5 times since the system was put in and I run around as much as I walk, and my pc has a low strength score and im quite often reaching my weight limit when I pick up things. I think the exsaustion thing is greatly over exagurated by most people who talk about it. I cant really see why this feat would be much use, good idea though, I just think that with what system we have in place, it not going to make much of a differense.

One's experience of exhaustion varies by playstyle, character abilities and class. I know it affects me differently depending on what character I am playing. I will agree, however, that in its current form it is much more balanced than in its earliest versions.

As for the feat, if it bundled together several minor perks it could still be a decent feat (IE mild cold and heat resistance for weather situations, hunger and thirst resistance, and exhaustion resistance).

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 01:52:54 AM »

One's experience of exhaustion varies by playstyle, character abilities and class. I know it affects me differently depending on what character I am playing. I will agree, however, that in its current form it is much more balanced than in its earliest versions.

As for the feat, if it bundled together several minor perks it could still be a decent feat (IE mild cold and heat resistance for weather situations, hunger and thirst resistance, and exhaustion resistance).

I will admit that only increasing a characters threshold for Exhaustion may not seem like much up front, but that could mean a lot more than most people think. From my understanding of the Exhaustion system, Your threshold is 10 + Constitution score. Once you hit/exceed that point, you become slightly exhausted, which, honestly, is hardly a problem except for lower levels and in dangerous dungeons.

From there, Your threshold * 1.5 is the point at which you become Exhausted (the one where you actually take movement penalties). This can be crippling to just about anyone in any situation, but often takes a fair amount of time to get to this point.

Even further, I believe at Threshold * 2-3 (still not positive) is when you become Extremely Exhausted, which is where you're pretty much reduced to walking speed.

So, for example, my rogue with his almighty 12 Constitution would have a Threshold of 22. His Exhausted threshold would be 33 and Extremely Exhausted threshold would be either 44 or 66.

Were he to take this feat, those three numbers would change as follows: Threshold of 26. Exhausted Threshold of 39. Extremely Exhausted Threshold of 52-78.

So, as you can see, that measly +4 may not seem like much, but it can quickly add up. Especially since the difference between him being Exhausted (second stage) would be another full minute or two of running and nearly 3 minutes of non-stop combat. Really, that's saying something for one lousy feat when you consider how long that really is ICly.

Though, I can see some minor bonuses to things like the Thirst system in Har'Akir and Weather systems as well, but again, I'm not sure if that's even possible. We'd have to have a Dev make a statement.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 01:58:21 AM »
Having played around with the exhaust system extensivly, and done alot of running with it. I find the only times it really makes an effect on a char is when fighting Incorporeal creatures, or soloing alot. But in a well balanced party it will hardly be an issue at all, fights rarely last long enough. The chars most effected by the exhaust system are solo clerics. But if you do get exhausted I am sure you remembered to stock up on Gatorade [Lesser Restoration], right?

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
Love the idea from a realism standpoint, but as HellPanda pointed out... well, they're pretty much my thoughts exactly. I solo quite a bit when doing courier runs, which often require a bit of running on my part, but I rarely hit the exhaustion level when I do this.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 01:43:39 AM »
Love the idea from a realism standpoint, but as HellPanda pointed out... well, they're pretty much my thoughts exactly. I solo quite a bit when doing courier runs, which often require a bit of running on my part, but I rarely hit the exhaustion level when I do this.

I also do courier runs and frequently hit exhaustion while doing so.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 08:36:34 AM »
I also do courier runs and frequently hit exhaustion while doing so.

Happens to me all the time too.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."