Author Topic: Availability of Tobacco  (Read 10677 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Re: Availability of Tobacco
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2011, 03:36:05 PM »
Never looked it up, but are all the plantations in Souragne sugar cane?  Seems tobacco would make sense too.
Tobacco would make sense for Souragne, as it's based off of colonial Louisiana, but it is not listed as a resource for the domain in the 3rd Edition Campaign Setting. The plantations grow sugarcane, cotton, and yams.

Since Hasbro owns the company making these things...and we all know that there is some pretty odd views of some things in the US. Might it be that tobacco is not in the books cause of it being stigmatised and people do not want their children to see tobacco as something used in their "games"? Like naked bodies and similar? Just a question.

EDIT: Also, there is other things to smoke then tobacco, chocolate beans, mushrooms I bet to...lot of things....I presume smoking chocolate would not really either be that much of a drug and closer to tobacco then to opium!
Uh, no because the book lists tobacco for Sri Raji. Try reading the whole thread before you post something.

No need to be rude. Im not stupid. :P

Just saying that it would not suprise me. I thought I did read somewhere in this thread that they removed that tobacco part in later versions. Which I then tied to Hasbro buying WOTSC.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
It's certainly something Hasbro might do if they published the books, but they didn't. And a one-off mention of tobacco in Sri Raji in the hardcover is nothing compared to an entire section of the first Gazeteer talking about the opium trade in Hazlan.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 04:26:56 AM »
It's certainly something Hasbro might do if they published the books, but they didn't. And a one-off mention of tobacco in Sri Raji in the hardcover is nothing compared to an entire section of the first Gazeteer talking about the opium trade in Hazlan.

Hasbro will be Hasbro :)

I presume Hazlan is bit more important then Sri Raji. Since Hazlan is in the core no?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 04:01:38 PM »

I presume Hazlan is bit more important then Sri Raji. Since Hazlan is in the core no?
I don't really see how that's relevant to your argument. The point I was trying to make is if they were so uptight to remove references to tobacco (which they never did), then they would have also removed the much larger references to opium for the same reason. The fact is that neither of the referenced drugs were removed from the books.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

I don't really see how that's relevant to your argument. The point I was trying to make is if they were so uptight to remove references to tobacco (which they never did), then they would have also removed the much larger references to opium for the same reason. The fact is that neither of the referenced drugs were removed from the books.

Oh, Im not arguementing.

Just wondering if Hazlan has deeper information on the opium then the one line Sri Raji having tobacco since its not part of the Core.

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 10:34:51 PM »
Maybe just maybe.. It has absolutely nothing to do with who owns it, and Hazlan is just more important Sri Raji, And thus as one would have a small section then the other, one has a small note on Tabacco then the other which is large on opium. The Loljohnferro's two cents.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
I'll blame 4th edition on Hasbro, but I doubt they'd micromanage their personal politics in our roleplaying game.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 11:36:45 PM »
And this is why I love paizo Pathfinder, they are not afraid to mention stuff like that. hell in the book on Kalapesh, they tallk a good bit on Pesh, aka magic opium in all but name but tis there :D.  Other books mention other things too.

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 04:35:12 AM »
Based upon my understanding of the source material, tobacco should be readily available in Barovia. (or at least more than if not comparable to the availability of tobacco in Renaissance Gothic earth) In addition to Sri Raji, Page #56 of the Kargatane Gazetteer #1 states:
"exotic crops also thrive in Hazlan's long summers, such as cotton, tobacco..."

Then on the top right of page #57 it states that:
"Immol engages in steady trade with Hazlan."

To compare with a gothic earth counterpart, in 1620 A.D. the American city of Jamestown, Virginia alone was able to produce 54,000 kilograms of tobacco, which would be more than able to provide 1 kilogram apiece for every man, woman, and child inside Barovia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_tobacco

Yeah.... I have a vested interest to bring this up because my character Prescott Bowley has occasionally been seen to smoke a pipe, and I do not want to be accused of cheesing, as I have never been to Sri Raji.   :?

So... light up, and enjoy!  :twisted:

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
There we have it. Thanks for the input.  :)

WildPirate13

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 02:48:49 PM »
accused of cheesing

Never happen... now where did I put my pipe.. ?

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Thanks, I knew I read somewhere that Hazlan had tobacco.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 02:12:48 PM »
Well Elfric will be happy to know. Maybe now we can add tobacco to that oddity shop at the port docks?

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."