Author Topic: Availability of Tobacco  (Read 10680 times)

Telkar

• Dark Power
Availability of Tobacco
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
I was wondering the availability of tobacco in Ravenloft domains, for pipe smoking (what else would usually be smoked anyway?). It seems the plant needs a fairly warm climate, so I thought perhaps it could be available in domains with climate: Warm. That would make it really rare though. Most domains are labeled temperate. I'm mostly curious about availability in Barovia. It probably isn't grown there, so I want to know whether it makes sense being imported from nearby domains. If so, wouldn't it also be expensive and more of a luxury for the rich?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Availability of Tobacco
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:56:05 AM »
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Thanks, seems like the only connection to that place would be vistani. I'll assume it at least wouldn't be cheap in Barovia.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 12:53:45 PM »
the problem is the RVT are smoking it all before it comes out to others!

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
*shakes fist angrily at RVT*

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:51 PM »
Hmmm. [gets ideas]

CuddleGutz

• Developer
  • Undead Master
  • You met me at a very strange time in my life.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
I was actually surprised that it wasn't listed for Hazlan when I looked at their common trade resources. But Vardo import a lot of things with DM help. You could have them use the opium model and just weaken/remove the intoxicating effects. Maybe lower con instead of wis, since it lowers your lung capacity. But then you'd risk overdose. LOL Perhaps just -1 to fort save. I'm not sure.

Linah Noelle - half-elf forest-guardian
Nadezhda Popovici - anchorite of Ezra's Second Revelation
Teresa Riegler - Investigator of the bizarre and arcane

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38:18 PM »
That'd be cool. I'd like a tobacco drug IG. Wish there also was some "fashion accessory" that is a pipe, for smoking both opium and tobacco. Don't think it has been made.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »
 :arrow:[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fXFY8VLMXs&feature=related[/youtube]

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:03:04 PM »
That'd be cool. I'd like a tobacco drug IG. Wish there also was some "fashion accessory" that is a pipe, for smoking both opium and tobacco. Don't think it has been made.
The port, provided you know where to go ;D

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

CuddleGutz

• Developer
  • Undead Master
  • You met me at a very strange time in my life.
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
There are hookahs, but they are used somewhat like candles. You can set them out and they look nice. Then you'd need to "use" the opium/tobacco to rp smoking from them. No stem-and-bowl pipes, though, as far as I've seen.

Linah Noelle - half-elf forest-guardian
Nadezhda Popovici - anchorite of Ezra's Second Revelation
Teresa Riegler - Investigator of the bizarre and arcane

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
There are hookahs, but they are used somewhat like candles. You can set them out and they look nice. Then you'd need to "use" the opium/tobacco to rp smoking from them. No stem-and-bowl pipes, though, as far as I've seen.

[smoke]

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
At least we got the [smoke] emote. That's halfway there.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »
Yes [smoke] in combination with [holds chin] can make it sort of look like you're smoking something.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
I was actually surprised that it wasn't listed for Hazlan when I looked at their common trade resources. But Vardo import a lot of things with DM help. You could have them use the opium model and just weaken/remove the intoxicating effects. Maybe lower con instead of wis, since it lowers your lung capacity. But then you'd risk overdose. LOL Perhaps just -1 to fort save. I'm not sure.
Same here, and I also thought they grew it in Vechor, but I was mistaken.

One thing to keep in mind is that Sri Raji is kind of remote. It's part of a cluster not connected physically to the Core, meaning one has to travel the Mists to get there, and even with Mistways that isn't very reliable. I'd imagine that would drive up the cost of any tobacco in the Core.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
I don't think it'd make sense for my local to be able to afford such then to begin with. It'd be a rare luxury. Maybe I or someone should suggest tobacco in the item creation thread to have an actual price.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
Never looked it up, but are all the plantations in Souragne sugar cane?  Seems tobacco would make sense too.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
Smoking is bad!  :twak:

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:55:25 PM »
PC's will never live long enough to worry about lung cancer.

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:26 PM »
Dont jinx it lol

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Never looked it up, but are all the plantations in Souragne sugar cane?  Seems tobacco would make sense too.
Tobacco would make sense for Souragne, as it's based off of colonial Louisiana, but it is not listed as a resource for the domain in the 3rd Edition Campaign Setting. The plantations grow sugarcane, cotton, and yams.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Never looked it up, but are all the plantations in Souragne sugar cane?  Seems tobacco would make sense too.
Tobacco would make sense for Souragne, as it's based off of colonial Louisiana, but it is not listed as a resource for the domain in the 3rd Edition Campaign Setting. The plantations grow sugarcane, cotton, and yams.

Since Hasbro owns the company making these things...and we all know that there is some pretty odd views of some things in the US. Might it be that tobacco is not in the books cause of it being stigmatised and people do not want their children to see tobacco as something used in their "games"? Like naked bodies and similar? Just a question.

EDIT: Also, there is other things to smoke then tobacco, chocolate beans, mushrooms I bet to...lot of things....I presume smoking chocolate would not really either be that much of a drug and closer to tobacco then to opium!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:19:08 PM by Budly »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
"Chocolate's one helluva drug."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
Never looked it up, but are all the plantations in Souragne sugar cane?  Seems tobacco would make sense too.

Since Hasbro owns the company making these things...and we all know that there is some pretty odd views of some things in the US. Might it be that tobacco is not in the books cause of it being stigmatised and people do not want their children to see tobacco as something used in their "games"? Like naked bodies and similar? Just a question.

EDIT: Also, there is other things to smoke then tobacco, chocolate beans, mushrooms I bet to...lot of things....I presume smoking chocolate would not really either be that much of a drug and closer to tobacco then to opium!
Uh, no because the book lists tobacco for Sri Raji. Try reading the whole thread before you post something.