Author Topic: Keen Edge & Piercing Weapons  (Read 3172 times)

Telkar

• Dark Power
Keen Edge & Piercing Weapons
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »
Hey, I was checking whether keen edge works on piercing weapons, and saw that they don't: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Keen_edge

But according to D&D rules, it should work on both piercing and slashing: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Keen_Edge

So that would be really nice to see fixed. Also perhaps make it usable on arrows too.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Keen Edge & Piercing Weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
Actually that wiki is 3.5, and therefor not completely valid, but I am also quite certain its only slashing in the books [was in 3.0 and I know the weapon quality was only slashing weapons]

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:02:57 AM »
Really? This one is also 3.5: http://dndsrd.net/spellsHtoL.html#keen-edge

So probably it's just different in the 3.5 rules. I like that version better anyway. =)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
Well in 3.5 sources that increase the threat line, never stack.........

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
True. Maybe then the spell could also be made so it doesn't stack with the Improved Critical feat.

That way enchanted whetstones would become rather useless to master swordsmen. They don't need that s*** cause they're hardcore. :p

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
Don't know about the spell's effects, I'd need to experiment but keen edge as a permanent weapon property does indeed give the increased crit range on a piercing weapon.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:10:15 AM »
Yes, just the spell is different...you get some "can't do it like that" message if you try it on anything other than a slashing weapon.

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
I have seen this happen in the past on another server.

A Rapier Weaponmaster could get his threat range down to about (11-20) or (12-20) ....!!!!  It was one of those. Which in my eyes is crazy!!

So it was Rapier threat 18-20 + improved crit increaces it to 15-20 + keen 12- 20 + WM bonus  11-20..  Thats just sick!!

but then we all know that rolling within your crit range doesnt always mean you've crit. That depends on the follow up roll done by the game engine.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:49 PM »
If improved critical and keen don't stack, that won't happen.

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 05:59:26 PM »
If improved critical and keen don't stack, that won't happen.

You didnt read what I wrote it seems. What I explained was something from another server. Where It did happen and on piercing weapons.

As far as keen NOT staking in Ravenloft I havnt noticed. Bit I think it does stack with improved crit. But NWN rules its supposed to be able ot stack with it.

But, if a weapon has a perma keen on it. You cant stack a whet stone keen on it. They dont stack.

See keening your weapon and impoved crit are two different things.  Improved crit is a feat people get to show their masterful skill with the blade they use.
Where Keen is a magical effect that makes a blade shaper.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 06:20:42 PM »
I did read and realize what you were saying.

I think the feat and spell stacking makes more sense, but I'm just a 3.5 rule lover. :p

Anyway, the crazy stuff with the rapier you described is possible with a scimitar and a kukri right now as they're slashing. So no additional craziness is introduced with piercings accepting keen edge. =)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »
its actually 10+

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 08:00:44 PM »
Pretty sure keen property stacks with slashing and piercing. it doesnt work on blunt weapons tho.

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 08:40:07 PM »
My bad , your correct. Heres the spell.

Keen Edge

Transmutation

Level:

Sor/Wiz 3

Components:

V, S

Casting Time:

1 standard action

Range:

Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)

Targets:

One weapon or fifty projectiles, all of which must be in contact with each other at the time of casting

Duration:

10 min./level

Saving Throw:

Will negates (harmless, object)

Spell Resistance:

Yes (harmless, object)

This spell makes a weapon magically keen, improving its ability to deal telling blows. This transmutation doubles the threat range of the weapon. A threat range of 20 becomes 19-20, a threat range of 19-20 becomes 17-20, and a threat range of 18-20 becomes 15-20. The spell can be cast only on piercing or slashing weapons. If cast on arrows or crossbow bolts, the keen edge on a particular projectile ends after one use, whether or not the missile strikes its intended target. (Treat shuriken as arrows, rather than as thrown weapons, for the purpose of this spell.)

Multiple effects that increase a weapon’s threat range (such as the keen edge spell and the Improved Critical feat) don’t stack. You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as a claw.