Author Topic: Crafting Exotic Weapons  (Read 1906 times)

dark_majico

Crafting Exotic Weapons
« on: June 26, 2011, 03:18:46 AM »
Are there any weapon templates for exotic weapon types, things like Chakrams, Goads, Jittes, Main Gouche, Nunchakku, Ninja-to, Katana...etc? Im quite confident there are no templates for Tanto's, and I would take a guess that other exotic weapons dont have templates either, which is the reason for this post Ide like to suggest they get added in.

As a Rokugan character I use a Tanto and while I can buy one cheaply enough in game I cant enchant it because its not crafted, and you cannot craft a steel dagger and make it look like a Tanto as a work around, which makes me  :(. Can we get some extra templates added in, so characters from Rokushima and beyond dont miss out?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Crafting Exotic Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:35:58 PM »
I'm a bit rusty when it comes to smithing exotic weapons, but isn't katana already a template? I'm pretty sure I remember making them. A main gauche is little more than a dagger, so just change it's appearance to match. The rest though, I haven't seen, nor have ever had a request for.

As for a tanto, have you tried short sword appearances?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:15:27 PM »
Most of those are non-standard weapon types, and because of that they will not work properly with the crafting system. It's just one of those annoying quirks of the NWN engine that we can't do much about.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Hanzo

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »
As for Tantos and Ninja-tos all you have to do is change the appearance of daggars or short swords. And as Blue said for the others, most are non standard besides the Katana.

"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul, an evil sword."

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:59:23 AM »
As for Tantos and Ninja-tos all you have to do is change the appearance of daggars or short swords. And as Blue said for the others, most are non standard besides the Katana.

Myself and Legos have both tried to alter a crafted steel dagger into a Tanto appearance and we couldnt do it, the hilt and the blade just wouldnt come around when we cycled the throuigh the menus.

Most of those are non-standard weapon types, and because of that they will not work properly with the crafting system. It's just one of those annoying quirks of the NWN engine that we can't do much about.

Im really curiouse now, what is it about CEP weapons that is incompatible with the crafting system? I dont mean crafting an items appearance using the custom crafting menu "R", I mean crafting a weapon using a weapon template and the crafting skill.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »

Myself and Legos have both tried to alter a crafted steel dagger into a Tanto appearance and we couldnt do it, the hilt and the blade just wouldnt come around when we cycled the throuigh the menus.

Im really curiouse now, what is it about CEP weapons that is incompatible with the crafting system? I dont mean crafting an items appearance using the custom crafting menu "R", I mean crafting a weapon using a weapon template and the crafting skill.
The crafting system uses dynamic item properties and custom weapon types (such as nunchaku) are not recognized by it without making heavy modifications to many standard scripts and .2das--which is something that is possible to do, but as custom weapons are also not supported by weapon feats (such as Weapon Focus) because weapon feats are hard-coded, there's little incentive to do that level of work--too few people are interested in using the weapons in the first place to justify the hours of work modifying the many scripts and .2da files needed.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 09:40:04 AM »
I made a tanto looking steel dagger before. Some dagger templates allow you to cycle throw all the variations and some don't. That is what I found out. Its a pain because I always like to modify the looks of my crafting to fit what an artist smith would do. Not just throw template on anvil and smith.

What I suggest for rare exotic weapons, since you are in a western type of setting, is getting a DM involvement and questing for it. For example, if you want some ash made nuncuks, or steel made sais, then find a crafter that is willing to do it. Search for some lore on how to do it. Could be like in the overseers temple or something and follow an RP progression on the crafting of the item in question. That is always a solution for things that cant be so simple to implement into the system. Also some feats don't work work with special weapons.

Example, two weapon defense works with double bladed swords but not double bladed scimitars. 

I found out that my character's crafting has leaped into DM events and quests were I have dragged others into and build up our backgrounds and developed our characters.

Geiger

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:20:46 AM »
I just wish they'd add weapons that would make sense in the locality.. like Mauls. Mauls are awesome.

Also - why does Vallaki even have a 'east-asia' store? Weren't they supposed to be hateful and xenophobic. Why would they let a foreigner sell weapons to possible rebels? :P

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »

When creating a weapon in the toolset sometimes a weapon will have an additional apperance option stored as a "color" option. for example a weapon would have 5 options for "top" and then have something like 6 options for color (Ive seen as many as 9 options) with many of them being different appearances.

However its a pain to use even in the toolset as many of the additional slots are blank and will display glitch if you try to cycle backward through them. I've crafted the appearances in game as well but sometimes the cycling in game will also glitch and you get stuck a certain appearance and cant change it and have to abort and start all over.

There must be some kind of limit to the possible number of appearances a given part of an item can have. The weird thing is that some items have something like 4 possible appearances and 7 color options and others have 9 appearances and 5 color options or so.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."