Author Topic: New Mac OS won't be able to run old NWN1  (Read 8660 times)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: New Mac OS won't be able to run old NWN1
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:10 PM »
Does Wineskin work with the Toolset? I've been using WineBottler, and I've had no luck running the toolset on my laptop.

AFAIK, it does not. :S

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
If you use Linux, i recommend it for NWN,  runs great and assumingly, will always run great without any future change making it obsolete.

I'm on Linux and have NWN installed, but I can't get the playing experience that I got on Windows sadly. It has done much to prevent me from peeking in the server for the past year (don't bother doing such small things if I have to boot into Windows to do so. The main things lacking is the inability to minimize the screen (alt+enter I think), and to have a free camera (which I used a small Windows program to do). Can't really do without it. But maybe someday with free time, one might hack this to work.

Won't ever get a mac though, but sorry to hear about that lack of NWN support. : \

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 02:26:25 AM »
Won't ever get a mac though, but sorry to hear about that lack of NWN support. : \

There was a Mac version released years ago, but from the Lion version of the operating system onward the old game broke. However it works great using WineSkin, excluding the Toolset.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 03:50:33 AM »
Ah ok...that reminds me also. No toolset in the linux version either. ; \

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
Ah ok...that reminds me also. No toolset in the linux version either. ; \

At the core, Linux and Apple's OS X run on virtually the same engines. I've used both as my primary operating systems before, and despite the same core I would say OS X is like a luxury car and Linux tends to be a kit car. Both appeal to niche consumers, a definite minority. In contrast, Windows is the omnipresent (in the U.S.) SUV... although its latest incarnation is admittedly a daring one. Someday I'd love to run only Linux or none of the above, but for now I'm running all of them: OS X, Linux, and Windows. At this time OS X is the one I use the most, and it is definitely the one that is the least fussy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:01:57 AM by hugolino »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »
If you use Linux, i recommend it for NWN,  runs great and assumingly, will always run great without any future change making it obsolete.

Eventually it will obsolete in all likelihood. X is basically deprecated and should be replaced, which probably breaks old SDL libraries from working with it; And while you can use newer SDL with NWN, eventually SDL too will no longer support all the old things that NWN uses. Though, for all the days to come, can always run NWN in emulators. :P

I'm on Linux and have NWN installed, but I can't get the playing experience that I got on Windows sadly. It has done much to prevent me from peeking in the server for the past year (don't bother doing such small things if I have to boot into Windows to do so. The main things lacking is the inability to minimize the screen (alt+enter I think), and to have a free camera (which I used a small Windows program to do). Can't really do without it. But maybe someday with free time, one might hack this to work.

Personally on my Linux desktop, I run NWN in windowed mode. I hide the toolbars and such from desktop, set same resolution for NWN as I have for the desktop, and voila! NWN runs perfectly in it's faked full screen and I can alt+tab around. :)

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »
Sounds nice. I just got searching for the free camera stuff for linux I can't be without and I found it. =D

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1426

Frigging awesome. It's pretty much playable to me now. The only slight annoyance is that in windowed mode, I can't move the mouse to the edges of the screen to change perspective. Feels clumsy using the mouse scroller for that, but could make keyboard shortcuts for it. It'd take time getting used to.

Edit: Got a bit excited cause my only reason for Windows is because of NWN, but guess I won't get rid of it cause of the toolset -_- ,,,they say it doesn't work so well in wine.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:25:21 PM by Telkar »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
Edit: Got a bit excited cause my only reason for Windows is because of NWN, but guess I won't get rid of it cause of the toolset -_- ,,,they say it doesn't work so well in wine.

If you've relatively new hardware and nVidia card, it probably works "well enough".

For my own 7 years old desktop computer with an ATI card, NWN Toolset does work almost flawless in Wine - the only problem is horribly broken lighting, which unfortunately makes building anything impossible. However, I do think this might be much less of an issue for newer comps and graphics cards.

Also, if you don't want to dual boot, you can install Windows on a virtual machine (like VirtualBox (free) or VMWare (free basic version)) - the performance decrease wouldn't matter at all with newer computers.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:46 PM »
Yes I'll virtualize windows for it. I'll have to do it for other reasons later anyway.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2012, 05:23:57 PM »
PC = Gaming, entertainment
Mac = Trendy, working computer
 :mrgreen:

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2012, 01:50:06 PM »

If we get technical, both Macs and PCs have practically exact same hardware - hence it could be said that Mac is just a brand for PCs.. :P

OS X in general runs almost everything that Linux does and a bit more. Even the top notch game engines and creation frameworks like Unity3D run both Windows and OS X.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2012, 04:08:06 AM »

If we get technical, both Macs and PCs have practically exact same hardware - hence it could be said that Mac is just a brand for PCs.. :P

OS X in general runs almost everything that Linux does and a bit more. Even the top notch game engines and creation frameworks like Unity3D run both Windows and OS X.

All good points from both of you. I personally also appreciated the durability of every Apple computer I've purchased in the past and present as well as the slower than normal rate of depreciation, which has allowed me to heavily subsidize the cost of buying a newer computer from the sale of my previous one. But I suspect that desktop computers are a waning breed, and I'm not too happy at the thought of seeing them replaced by "devices" equivalent to tablets, smart phones, and consoles. :(

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2012, 05:08:09 PM »
Replaced? You mean the imacs?

Don't know about that. People around me still seem to like them. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me though. A proper PC box where you can upgrade the hardware at will sounds a lot cheaper in the long run. If I wanted a mac I'd get a laptop.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 04:03:57 AM »
Replaced? You mean the imacs?

Not at all. I am referring to the marginalization of the desktop computer of any type (including true laptops) in favor of computer appliances, such as smart phones, tablets, consoles, and other devices. This isn't happening as a top-down sort of change. Rather it is consumer-driven. We have already reached the point in the U.S. where more people have such devices than have computers and the majority of people in the U.S. now access the Internet exclusively using smart devices rather than computers. (I'm a former journalist and a webmaster, so I've kept up with these statistics.) Unless the trends change, I suspect computers will again become a niche product for the few who really want one. The rest won't care.

Meanwhile, the operating systems of Windows, OS X, and Linux are moving more and more towards a smart device-like interface rather than a more sophisticated and complex traditional one. Whether they're responding, leading, or a combination of both, the direction is the same.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 04:12:39 AM by hugolino »

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 06:07:17 AM »
I guess so. Makes me happy I'm on Linux and can choose whatever interface I like. That choice will stay in the future.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 06:09:18 AM by Telkar »

Marasmus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 02:02:26 PM »
Sorry to revert the conversation but I am about to buy a MacBook Pro for school, is there really no way I can play NWN1 on the thing?

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »
I play NWN1 on a MacBook Air nowadays, generally speaking. All you need is to download Wineskin...

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-index.php

And this fellow here made an easy wrapper for people to use, gives a nice set of instructions that explains things pretty well.

http://bbellina.blogspot.com/2012/01/running-nwn-for-windows-on-lion-using.html

Hope this helps!