You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Mac OS won't be able to run old NWN1  (Read 8662 times)

hugolino

• Dark Lord
New Mac OS won't be able to run old NWN1
« on: June 25, 2011, 03:08:00 AM »
This may affect few players, but the new version of the Mac OS ("Lion") that will come out in July is dropping its emulation ("Rosetta) for old PowerPC code, which means that Neverwinter Nights 1 will no longer run on new or upgraded Apple computers.

As for me, since performance of NWN 1 was pathetic on my Windows computer when I last attempted to install it, I will probably just say goodbye to NWN1 completely... although I may delay upgrading to the new Mac OS for a while before then.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
Re: New Mac OS won't be able to run old NWN1
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:18:22 AM »
Oh... thanks for the warning. Makes me wonder if the rosetta emulation can't be added to lion separately.
But... if you have a mac that can run lion, isn't maybe a windows partition under bootcamp maybe an alternative for you?

By the way... do you have as well a glitch from time to time that makes the game screen blank and turns off all sounds? I can't find anything about that, and it happens to me on any mac i run NWN on (titanium, mac mini, macbook pro) ... strangely, most often that glitch occurs on the newest one (macbook pro).

GFX card issue most likely... but without a pattern i see so far (besides that sometimes it happens almost exactly every 30 minutes)
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 03:27:58 AM »
That Lion OX is incredible.

A shame, I wont be able to run nwn on my laptop anymore.

Oh well. There's still desktop.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 03:58:03 AM »
Don't buy a MAC... simple. You could get 3 PCs that CAN run NWN 1 and 2 if you wanted for the price of 1 Mac... Just not worth it for some bells and whistles. Worked on both MAC and PC and in the end for price, software and obviously, gaming compatibility, I went with PC and never looked back or regretted my choice.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 05:38:55 AM »
Don't buy a MAC... simple. You could get 3 PCs that CAN run NWN 1 and 2 if you wanted for the price of 1 Mac... Just not worth it for some bells and whistles. Worked on both MAC and PC and in the end for price, software and obviously, gaming compatibility, I went with PC and never looked back or regretted my choice.

thank god someone finialy said it *high fives lawfuljoe*

i honestly dont see why any gamer would buy a mac. its like intentionally limiting yourself heh.

WildPirate13

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »
You can get emulators for Mac...

Have you checked into that?

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »

thank god someone finialy said it *high fives lawfuljoe*

i honestly dont see why any gamer would buy a mac. its like intentionally limiting yourself heh.

Apple would be completely out of business if not for the iPod/iPhone.  There is a reason Macs have 2% of the market share.   ;)

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
Yeah very correct. I'm also working on both (Mac and PC) now and I grow more and more liking my PC again.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
There are ways to get nwn (or any Windows game for that matter) working on Lion without rosetta.

First of all, as people have mentioned, you can use an emulator.  Crossover is a really good one , you could also use parallels.

If you're really savvy you can use WINE (which stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator).

Or, if you have the space and inclination to, you can install windows on your computer via bootcamp.  Then just load up in windows mode when you want to play.

If you need a Windows copy of the game you can get one for $10 here http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/neverwinter_nights_diamond_edition

I gave up on PCs after my last one died when Internet Explorer (a program i never used) uploaded a virus while I was on Firefox.  And yes I had antivirus and spyware software.  Now back all you haters! *waves a chair*

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:45:04 PM »
I gave up on PCs after my last one died when Internet Explorer (a program i never used) uploaded a virus while I was on Firefox.  And yes I had antivirus and spyware software.  Now back all you haters! *waves a chair*

You just gotta stay off of THOSE websites...   :love:

WildPirate13

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 06:01:25 PM »
Fomer Ipod tech support guy and gamer..

MACs are awesome but... not for gamers and smaller software that is Microsoft exclusive. Emulators are an option but.. I prefer PC's why?

Gaming and knowing that rarely will I run into an operating issue for software.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »
To repeat: I already mentioned in my original post that I have both Windows Vista and Mac OS. Hence all the suggestions that I run Boot Camp or buy a Windows PC instead are unhelpful. A better suggestion would be how to get Neverwinters Nights 1 to be playable in Vista, because the last time I installed it -- admittedly on different hardware -- it ran so horribly it was unplayable whereas it runs without a single glitch at highest settings on Mac OS under Rosetta.

In answer to one question: The only copy of NWN1 I own is a Windows version. I followed instructions online and experimented a bit to get it to run on Mac OS under Rosetta. But despite a lot of tweaking and troubleshooting I could not get it to run decently when I upgraded my Windows OS to Vista.

In fairness, though, I didn't post this on the forums to get a "fix" for my situation but just to let the community know that newer Mac OS users will be absent from this tiny community.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 03:19:39 AM »
As for why I prefer the Mac OS to Windows or Linux (I have all three) -- it does what I personally want a computer to do best for now, in my opinion. I'm not a gamer, although I do play a few MMOs and spent several hours today messing around in Team Fortress 2. But I'm a creative type, former professional graphic designer and journalist, musician, video editor, photographer, dabbler in digital art and animation, and I also have experience with UNIX, the C programming language and more. So even though I have Windows, Linux and Mac OS, I spend most of my serious time in Mac OS. I only use Windows for gaming, but an increasing percentage of my serious games are now on Mac OS, such as Portal 2, Team Fortress 2 and so on. As for the cost, it was more expensive than a home-built computer (I've owned one), but I'm satisfied and the hardware quality is excellent. The whole package that Mac OS offers suits me well, even down to the iLife suite. I'm a happy camper.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 03:37:52 AM »
If you use Linux, i recommend it for NWN,  runs great and assumingly, will always run great without any future change making it obsolete.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 04:37:04 AM »
If you use Linux, i recommend it for NWN,  runs great and assumingly, will always run great without any future change making it obsolete.

Good point. But I use Linux on my netbook, so I'm not sure it has the horsepower to run NWN1. It might though. Maybe I had better forestall putting Android on it then... Hmmm...

hugolino

• Dark Lord
Re: New Mac OS will be able to run old NWN1
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 05:10:03 AM »
Here's a solution for any fellow Mac OS users who want to run NWN1 without rebooting into Windows or who can't run it well in Windows. Download the open source program Wineskin (http://wineskin.doh123.com/) and then the Wrapper for NWN1 (http://www.mediafire.com/?0xcpdsln6f6jcm6). Install these and then install your copy of NWN1 using them. Enjoy.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:22 PM »
A word of advice to anyone using Wine to run NWN1, edit the nwn.ini file so that it has the following two lines:

[Display Options]
Disable Movies=1

NWN1 has been running fine apart from being able to run the movies. Meanwhile I tried running it on Windows Vista and after one successful run of the game it now often crashes without warning. So emulation via Wine definitely seems preferable to me. :)

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
New Lion is out!

Curious if any of you have (will try) the solutions to run nwn without Rosetta on Mac OX Lion.

Does it work?

Let me know!

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
New Lion is out!

Curious if any of you have (will try) the solutions to run nwn without Rosetta on Mac OX Lion.

Does it work?

Let me know!

I haven't installed Lion yet, but I would think the Wineskin (Wine) solution I gave above should work just fine with it. I won't be able to test that in the short term though. Even though Lion is inexpensive I am tight on cash, so I'm going to wait on upgrading the OS.

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
New Lion is out!

Unusually for Apple, this upgrade release reportedly has many bugs for some users, according to anecdotal online complaints, while other users are having no problems at all and are pleased with the performance improvements. So I recommend that any fellow Mac users wait a month or two before upgrading, which actually is sound advice with any operating system (including Linux and Windows).

I will update this thread when I finally upgrade and let you guys know how NWN1 runs on Lion in Wine.

rabidsmily

• Undead Slayer
  • Picture not related.
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 07:22:21 PM »
By the way... do you have as well a glitch from time to time that makes the game screen blank and turns off all sounds? I can't find anything about that, and it happens to me on any mac i run NWN on (titanium, mac mini, macbook pro)

I have the exact same problem! It seems mostly to occur at random, but it seems to be exacerbated by when I command-tab in and out and do web surfing on Safari while playing. Then the error hits, the game screen turns entirely black except for the hotkeys, GUI overlays (such as inventory and spell-book), and the chat windows. Strangely enough a workaround that I found is to ask a friend to walk near me, I type "@follow" and when the friend walks through a transition, I appear on the opposite side of the transition and the graphics begin to behave normally again! If there are no players I can "@follow" then I have to log out, close the application, and then start up and log back in again!

Characters: Alavra Srune'Lett, James Finesworth, Prescott Bowley, Grisil, Toshio Ninomiya, Eshen Soldusk, Emilio Shrewtamer, Blago Ashcard, Hoogliuter

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »
New Lion is out!

Does it work?

Let me know!

I can confirm that the Wineskin solution posted in this thread does allow NWN to run flawlessly (as far as I can tell) on Mountain Lion, which was released today (July 25). I wasn't able to test whether it worked with the earlier version of the operating system, Lion, because I skipped that one.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 12:15:27 AM »
How is Mountain Lion working for you?

hugolino

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 03:45:39 AM »
How is Mountain Lion working for you?

The upgrade went smoothly and quickly after I downloaded the new operating system, which only took about 20 minutes or so to download. Setup lasted about a minute. Then I doublechecked my settings in the control panel before settling in and using it.

So far I haven't experienced any problems at all, and any changes to my way of doing things hasn't annoyed me, such as the optional reversed mouse wheel direction for scrolling windows (tablet style rather than traditional desktop style). All of the software that I actually use is compatible with Mountain Lion. As for the few that are too old to do so, they mainly amount to a dozen old games that I won't miss, and a half dozen freeware non-game applications. As noted, I am still able to play NWN1 via Wineskin. Internet feels more responsive, but that could be my imagination or just the updated built-in web browser, which I didn't use much in the past.

Ask me how I feel about the upgrade in a few days of course after the dust has settled, but for now it has been positive, more than I anticipated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:50:29 AM by hugolino »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Does Wineskin work with the Toolset? I've been using WineBottler, and I've had no luck running the toolset on my laptop.