You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestions and comments on the Mist Camp serving as a high level hub  (Read 19494 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Re: Suggestions and comments on the Mist Camp serving as a high level hub
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
The Mist Camp isn't specifically canon, meaning it's up for us to define. We imagined it to be a sort of cross section of the fabled mistways that the Vistani are known to navigate - a place they stop for a rest and to meet other tribes. Thus, it isn't intended to be tied to one specific tribe, thus limiting who holds claims to it.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:01 PM »
I'd like Port-à-Lucine Eastern Outskirts as potential hub.

It allows Vistani travel in the same map. It is NPC-free. It's close to town as western Outskirts are to Vallaki, with similar dangers at entering at night. And it's in a crossroad with the University area. I really think that would make the best simil-Western-Outskirts starting point.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »
I'd like Port-à-Lucine Eastern Outskirts as potential hub.

It allows Vistani travel in the same map. It is NPC-free. It's close to town as western Outskirts are to Vallaki, with similar dangers at entering at night. And it's in a crossroad with the University area. I really think that would make the best simil-Western-Outskirts starting point.

This topic isn't to discuss other potential hubs, only how to improve the Mist Camp functioning as one. We can put up topics for Dementlieu and Village of Barovia too if people feel like it. After all, the point isn't to decide the future high level hub, but to see what we can do with existing areas to improve their potential as such. In the end, the player initiatives will decide what place people prefer to be - the point made in the previous topic was to encourage being open minded toward establishing new, particularly for high levels.

A suggestion, perhaps we can make a poll where players can vote wich place will be the second hub , so the staff can concentrate their efforts mainly in that place?

By principle, we rarely put up polls for how we should prioritize our time. Being a voluntary project as this, it's essential that we do what we do by inspiration and personal volition, and not by what is designated by others (even within the team).

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 04:27:41 PM »
I know very little about the Ravenloft setting that wasn't learned ic by various pcs.  Perhaps the mist camp could be used as a way to give characters a little bit of insight into vistani lore via npcs.  Because various vistani  are there it could also be used to illustrate how various tribes of Vistani differ from one another.

- A divination npc.  Similar to the one in the Vallakli Vistani camp but perhaps using a different method such as the Dikesha

- The inn/tavern-ish tent could have musicians that allow for changes in map music and vistani dancers

- Storyteller npc in a tent or vardo who has a few scripted stories but could also be used by Dms for plot hooks

- A few scattered vistani npcs or craftsman traders who sell what they make and nothing else who are traveling with the camp who have skill in a particular craft or trade and sell a minor selection of unique to that area tems such as;

*musical instruments with + to perform that any class could use

*smith who sells cook pots which could be placed down (like picnic baskets and assorted candles are now) and used to prepare food

*tailor/seamstress with clothes which reflect Vistani style and maybe give +1 perform -1 influence

* A weaver who sells small rugs which could be placed down by pcs and used as a prayer/rest option like a bedroll

* An trader who sells various fancy bottles oils and incenses such as attar of roses, dragon's blood, sandalwood, myrrh and so on. They could be usable and perhaps enhance charisma but be so high priced due to the ic 'trade value' they'd be more akin to rp props than a simple 'buffing potion' consumable.

*Boot maker with low priced travelers boots for sale

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
Lol I badly read the thread and I was derailed :)

For certain what I'd do with Vistani is a part where only Vistani can go (maybe despawning for some hours during the day/time cycles) for their own private rituals which are NEVER to be seen by giorgios. Always felt our Vistani are too friendly.

Probably, as suggested already, a little wider area to avoid overlapping of RP talks, maybe with a small zone without NPCs. All in the same map, intended, maybe a little grove or something like that, not necessarily an indoors like the tent.

And a merchant like old Nadja who makes some crafted things which players cannot (and won't ever be able to) do.

Though basically, I like the camp already.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2011, 05:20:27 PM »
This Vistani in Petre's camp don't go in at night. I don't see the NPC's in the Mist Camp going in either, especially if some are merchants. I am sort of against making the Vistani any more friendly and open. They should always be mysterious, unpredictable, and rather aloof.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2011, 05:47:00 PM »
Well, for the record, I would support somewhere else (Barovia/Port) as a second RP hub, but if you insist on the Mist Camp, it would be fairly easy to "flesh it out," since, as you say, it isn't canon and can be defined by us.

Its a camp.  Its moveable.  It could literally be anywhere, within the Mists themselves, or on some small pocket of land encapsulated by the Mists.  Use this.  Make the area roughly 8x, or more, the size it is now.  An island of land in the Mists themselves, with a semi-permanent Vistani Camp in the corner of the map.  In the REST of the map, make a ruined village/town.  Somewhere that was swallowed by the Mists and forgotten from memory.  Now that you have that, with buildings (and possibly ruined buildings, crypts, cellars, sewers, etc. to explore), populate the area SPARSELY with what essentially amounts to "entrepeneurs," in the form of people (Outlanders, Core Realm Expatriates, occasional Criminals) who have decided to call the place "home," and "set up shop," as it were.  An Inn, a Bar or two, perhaps some people who make useful things, etc.  MOST of the town will be utter ruins (probably haunted by the original residents), but a small section, a few buildings, will be renovated/fixed and used as businesses.  Adventurers are rich...everyone knows this (even if it isn't true), so why not make some coin by having a business there?  Sure, spirits may roam the streets at night, and its a dangerous place to live and work...but so is the REST of Barovia/the Core.  And it may be LESS dangerous for some of the people who live there than where they came from (criminals, traitors, etc.).

It could still be dangerous as hell to wander alone at night.  Just like the Outskirts, Vallaki, Port, etc.  The ghosts are unfriendly.  You could have some basic crafting stations, possibly even ruined ones, or you could just make people go somewhere like Port to craft...its a 3-minute, 100-fang ride.  Or, better yet, put some things there (you decide what), and ONLY there, to give people a reason to be there, and hang out.  Perhaps some specialty shops that sell things people actually want/need, an NPC that hands out quests for new areas in Port or Barovia (or anywhere else), etc.

But, as it stands right now, using the current Mist Camp as a hub would be completely wrong, IMO.  The Vistani would pack up and move if that happened.   :P

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
It would also give the DM's a large amount of space and material to run events in (such as aiding the spirit of a former resident or something).

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2011, 05:59:21 PM »
would be funny if the camp moved everyday or so  and thus creating new places      like area A has indeed the herbalist couldran      a day later or another time it moves again and it moves to an area where difrant things are available maybe ore.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2011, 07:01:35 PM »
I would rather see the new Hub be either the village or port. I dont think the Vistani would be happy so many insane outlanders moved into their camp, at all times

Agreed. The new hub should be Barovia Village. I cant see the Visanti tolerating a bunch of outlander strangers living in their midst. Spending money there yes, but not just hanging out for no good reason. To mercilessly whip a dead horse having a convienent form of travel from Vallaki to the Barovia Village camp (not the mist camp) would do alot to facilitate this.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2011, 09:54:50 PM »

Its a camp.  Its moveable.  It could literally be anywhere, within the Mists themselves, or on some small pocket of land encapsulated by the Mists.  Use this.  Make the area roughly 8x, or more, the size it is now.  An island of land in the Mists themselves, with a semi-permanent Vistani Camp in the corner of the map.  In the REST of the map, make a ruined village/town.  Somewhere that was swallowed by the Mists and forgotten from memory.  Now that you have that, with buildings (and possibly ruined buildings, crypts, cellars, sewers, etc. to explore), populate the area SPARSELY with what essentially amounts to "entrepeneurs," in the form of people (Outlanders, Core Realm Expatriates, occasional Criminals) who have decided to call the place "home," and "set up shop," as it were.  An Inn, a Bar or two, perhaps some people who make useful things, etc.  MOST of the town will be utter ruins (probably haunted by the original residents), but a small section, a few buildings, will be renovated/fixed and used as businesses.  Adventurers are rich...everyone knows this (even if it isn't true), so why not make some coin by having a business there?  Sure, spirits may roam the streets at night, and its a dangerous place to live and work...but so is the REST of Barovia/the Core.  And it may be LESS dangerous for some of the people who live there than where they came from (criminals, traitors, etc.).

It could still be dangerous as hell to wander alone at night.  Just like the Outskirts, Vallaki, Port, etc.  The ghosts are unfriendly.  You could have some basic crafting stations, possibly even ruined ones, or you could just make people go somewhere like Port to craft...its a 3-minute, 100-fang ride.  Or, better yet, put some things there (you decide what), and ONLY there, to give people a reason to be there, and hang out.  Perhaps some specialty shops that sell things people actually want/need, an NPC that hands out quests for new areas in Port or Barovia (or anywhere else), etc.

But, as it stands right now, using the current Mist Camp as a hub would be completely wrong, IMO.  The Vistani would pack up and move if that happened.   :P

Wow, I am really enjoying this idea. It gives so much room for development. An area like this would offer more content accessible to mid-high levels. Really cool idea.

For story justifaction as to why the Vistani may have moved, there could be perhaps something of relative value to them on that island. Something close to Vistani culture and histroy maybe?

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:27 PM »
Exactly.  Perhaps the Vistani even give out some quests, for strange, mysterious objects or writings, either nearby or in other realms (typically as DM quests, not just static "over and over" quests)...you could expand the "Island in the Mists" idea quite a bit.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2011, 10:51:04 PM »
Well, for the record, I would support somewhere else (Barovia/Port) as a second RP hub, but if you insist on the Mist Camp, it would be fairly easy to "flesh it out," since, as you say, it isn't canon and can be defined by us.

I really like that idea.

Also, the Mist Camp is one area away from Dementlieu, Blaustein and Har'Akir. All these places have shops and crafting stations along with many crafting resources, though not all.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:19 PM »
Ditto, great idea and inspiring post - merits bringing it up at the next dev meeting.  :thumbup:

WildPirate13

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
Arrow Arrow Arrow Arrow Has anyone thought of maybe moving the mist camp itself? They are after all wagons and tents.. and Vistani...

*sighs*

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 11:06:46 PM »
  :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Has anyone thought of maybe moving the mist camp itself? They are after all wagons and tents.. and Vistani...

*sighs*

:P It's a group effort :D

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 11:07:44 PM »
Ditto, great idea and inspiring post - merits bringing it up at the next dev meeting.  :thumbup:

*GASP* you gusy have MEETINGS?!  :shock: :lol: :shock: well learn something new everday  :lol:

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
    • Facebook page
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
I think the last idea was awesome.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
you guys realise that ppl are to lazy and are not gonna sit down and *cencored*  for 3 minutes to get to the place of destination you change that area into having any significanse then shorten the travel time as it would not appeal to ppl.

and when i say ppl i mean ME and stuff revolves around ME yuppers big ol ME
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:31 AM »
you guys realise that ppl are to lazy and are not gonna sit down and *cencored*  for 3 minutes to get to the place of destination you change that area into having any significanse then shorten the travel time as it would not appeal to ppl.

and when i say ppl i mean ME and stuff revolves around ME yuppers big ol ME

Maybe there's something wrong in me but I usually have liked the travel time.  ;) When going with someone else it's always a very good moment to RP a wide variety of stuff or continue in peace an earlier conversation. If I am alone, the time is perfect in duration to check any new posts on forums, make some coffee, do a sandwich, grab a smoke, or whatever one fancies.

To the above posts, I'd indeed agree that Mist Camp feels a bit disconnected form rest of the world. Not that it was game mechanically; Areas are near by, but it's not part of any domain. Kagetora's suggestion sounds good tho!

And to the travel time. It'd take you pretty much as long to go from Western Outskirts to Lich Tower than it takes going from the Mist Camp to Forest Fane. If you walk all the way, Western Outskirts to Degannwy is likely similar to Mist Camp to Dementlieu, too.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 12:42:39 AM by tzaeru »

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2011, 02:25:46 AM »
Something should really be done about the wait time for caravans in use. Otherwise there will eventually be quite a nasty pile up of people waiting when lots of people are wanting to go to different places.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

WildPirate13

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2011, 02:53:04 AM »
 :thumbup:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2011, 04:12:24 AM »
Has anyone here experienced having to be in queue for more than a few minutes? We can implement several caravan wagons if needed.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:53 AM »
nope, rarely que at all, and when I do its mostly because the caravan just left when I got there [often less than the full time]

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2011, 04:18:24 AM »
Also, we were in fact planning on expanding the mist camp by allowing you to try to navigate the mistways yourself, but in adjacent areas. The ideas about adding more (and not just vistani-based) to the area itself is certainly interesting too.