Author Topic: Suggestion: Racial based craft recipes  (Read 2192 times)

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
Suggestion: Racial based craft recipes
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:18 AM »
I toyed this idea around in my head, because I know what I would like to see, but not really getting any finalized specific ideas.

I want to see each of the 4 main races have some ability to craft something specific that only they can within the confines of the player economy.
e.g. Elves are the only ones that can make (this recipe) and dwarves are the providers of (this recipe) etc. Without going overboard, but implying that the technique is passed down within their culture and they are loath to share the technique or skill needed to make it.

It would not have to be uber but only mildly useful and would give a bit of a corner of a market to certain races and would make the diversity of crafted goods seem more culture specific.
This interest anyone else or does it sound like a dumb idea? I just would like to see a niche crafting market for certain things that would work within the confines of our current player driven economy with minimal fuss.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
Re: Suggestion: Racial based craft recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 05:52:57 AM »
Well as is now, you need a DM to do racial crafting. I was able to make elven chainmail because of a DM. I tried doing something along the lines with my character's apprentice awhile back. The apprentice had to make elven chainmail to graduate; however, even though we collected a bunch of mithral items we could be on at the same time as with DM and also the event was causing havoc. So, she never made elven chainmail.

For instance I think that the only race that should be able to make dwarven axes should be dwarves.
Maybe some bonuses for longswords or bows for elves.
Gnomes maybe get something with crossbows and alchemy.

No matter how much one spends time in designing, coloring, and putting some time in the crafting, people only see stats. It is hard to say that your character is a master craftsman, a rarity in his/her trade. Tried long and hard, but it all comes down to game mechanic advantages.

I would like to make masterwork items, gild gold, silver, platinum, and use gems and other valuables. I would like masterwork system in place that a character can spend a significant amount of time, like 1 or 2 weeks RL, working on an items to make a masterwork.

As it stands now, it takes less than a minute to make a steel sword, guild it. When in the real world it can take weeks and even months to make blade, depending on the detail the artisan/smith puts into it. So, how can one make that in the system?

I think if the crafter is willing to put the time in and the money up to make a masterwork item, from design all the way through. Then he/she should command a higher price for the work. As it is now a crafter can make it like an assembly line, one after another. Yet, when another crafter puts time in and does a little design. How can one says theirs is better than the mass produced one. With the stats you cannot.

Also with details and some up stats you can get a whole variety of crafted items.

What would you a player want?
A silver-gilded steel dwarven axe or a master work dwarven axe that shaft is made from solid ash wood, the blade is made from steel gilded in silver with golden runes etched upon the head giving the axe its name with a ruby imbedded at the top, the shaft wrapped in gargoyle hide for grip. The second should be crafted and the crafter should fetch a higher price for it, and it should only be made by a dwarf.

A silver-gilded steel longsword or an elvish longsword with a thin blade with razor sharp edges, the cross hilt is encased in gold while the pommel is that of a dragon. Silver marks the edge of the blade.

Same can be applied to armor, bows, and other items as well.

Each race has its strengths which should be seen its weapons, arms, rings, etc.. I think crafters should make such items instead of everyone looking for their weapon from loot drops. The only other option you have is enchanting which requires a character level greater than 14.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:53 AM »
What I had in mind is something much more simple than that. Such as, one recipe (not one from each craft, but one extra recipe from one craft) that you would not be able to attempt unless you were a certain race.

Example : A longbow recipe that is stronger or different than any currently available and only race type Elf can attempt
OR Example : maybe a simple improvement over a steel armor set that only dwarves can attempt (something like damage reduction 1 /+1)

I figure someone would have much better ideas than I would do, but the basic premise of the idea I believe has merit and would add an extra layer of complexity and interdependence to the player driven economy.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

DM Panic

• Long Break
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 08:12:37 AM »
I like this idea.

I also like the idea of signet rings on players to hallmark an item.  Like if there was an item that let you set a short description on crafted items, or if it was automated to add a single line of text like:  [This item bears the hallmark of Jeff the Barovian].

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:28:37 PM »
My memory may be fuzzy but i think Arelith had something in place where you could craft something over a period of time.

In POTM the professions keep track of how many days its been so you can collect wages every 14 days
it would be cool if once every day you can put an advanced item on the crafting station.. do your roll- and depending how well you did, that's how far along you are.. (a 1 at any time destroying the item)

maybe the % you advance is the difference between the DC and your roll?

what i mean is .. if something has a DC 20 and you roll 22 that day .. you advance 2%
if it has a DC 20 and you roll an 18 'You make no new progress'

This would also be possible to create a 'book' [item], a 'poem' [item] a 'painting' [item]
either to just sell, or use for RP effect

you could even take this one step further with higher risks and higher DCs, so that once you have masterwork items maybe continue and can eventually get some non-enchanting effects.. +1 influence or antagonize, appraise etc.. stats of that nature

again, if you have that 'Roll a 1 destroys the item' in there- the risk is always there, but there are some of us that would keep trying and trying till we finally get that +5 influence outfit or fancy hat
heh ;)
the items would not be common, players can charge a substantial fee for their hard work and you would have a real substantial feeling like you accomplished something

I also like the idea of signet rings on players to hallmark an item.  Like if there was an item that let you set a short description on crafted items, or if it was automated to add a single line of text like:  [This item bears the hallmark of Jeff the Barovian].

+1 to this as well. i loved the renaming pools in arelith. so you can take something like 'Rations' and just rename it whatever
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:33:30 PM by monsinyana »
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
Only issue with the automated text is it would overwrite IC nicknames, or names assumed to keep ones real identity secret :3. A server i played for a while, Shadows of Tilverton had a system in place that allowed you to rename and give descriptions to items at your pleasure.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »
My memory may be fuzzy but i think Arelith had something in place where you could craft something over a period of time.

Yeah, you had to pass the DC check and then it would give you an item that had X number of slots/charges (w/e you want to call them) and then you had to keep passing DC checks to get a point added onto the item until you fill the number and then the item is replaced with the finished product.  For example, say a steel longsword has 22 slots to fill.  You have to successfully beat the DC 22 times to finish it, and there were only so many attempts you could make in a day (based on your crafting skill)  I'm not overly fond of that system really.  While, yes, there are flaws with the time required in making items on this server, I rather disliked all the management required when you wanted to craft something (especially if someone is waiting on said item, then you're pressured to spend a fair portion of your RL day playing NWN just so you can finish it)

Only issue with the automated text is it would overwrite IC nicknames, or names assumed to keep ones real identity secret :3. A server i played for a while, Shadows of Tilverton had a system in place that allowed you to rename and give descriptions to items at your pleasure.

Arelith allowed for this as well via an enchanting basin. You popped the item in and you could change its name and description. Anything you renamed/crafted had your name attached to it in brackets (so for example Steel Longsword [Serillian]) The good news is, Arelith doesn't use haks, so hopefully it wouldn't be too complicated to add a line of text to a crafting station that appears only if you have a single item in it (limited to items you can equip) allowing you to set a description for it. Wether or not you could rename it with that system or that would require a DM is up to you guys.

As for the racial crafting, I do think it's a good idea, personally I whole-heartedly agree that PCs should be able to craft Masterwork items. Hell, if you want to make it interesting, have it so that once you reached a required level in the craft you want to Master, you can train with a master and unlock Masterwork crafting for that trade. Possibly limit it to one craft Mastery? It certainly makes sense that while you could be a well-rounded crafter, you would only have the time to dedicate yourself to mastery of one trade. Anywho, sorry for the long-winded post, but that's my two-cents on it.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:01:43 PM by Serillian »

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »

I'm not overly fond of that system really.  While, yes, there are flaws with the time required in making items on this server, I rather disliked all the management required when you wanted to craft something (especially if someone is waiting on said item, then you're pressured to spend a fair portion of your RL day playing NWN just so you can finish it)

i meant for new advanced things added Serillian

I was not suggesting changing the current crafting at all, if i was not clear
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
I really only foresee running into issues with craft skills like Herbalism, or Alchemy, and the Enchanting System.

Ovidiu_Lacusta

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 05:10:40 PM »
This is a cool idea! Half Vistani (particularly the Vatraska) could have an herbalism benefit!!!