You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Har'Akir: Scorpions - Chitin  (Read 1628 times)

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Har'Akir: Scorpions - Chitin
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
Uhm, We got an order for a thick chitin tower shield recently so I made my way to Har'Akir Like I usually do when it comes to getting chitin because of the scorpions there. It used to be that Large scorpions dropped normal Monstrous Chitin while Huge ones drop Thick chitin, each only one piece.

Well, When I got there and mowed down a group of bugs, I realized that the Huge scorpions no longer drop Thick chitin. This kinna threw me off as it really did seem to fit for them to have Thick chitin since they were freaking huge. So, I'm wondering why this has changed. How it was, it gave people another option to find Thick other than trudging through the one long cave from Vallaki to Dvergeheim, or, on the rare occasion, the hole by Midway /if/ it got to high enough spawn with Hook Horrors. Now, I'm forced to have to drag my bum back to Vallaki just to get a few bits of bug plate from a cave someone of my level /really/ should not be in.

Thoughts? Comments?
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Har'Akir: Scorpions - Chitin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
The huge scorpions only drop one piece of the normal monstrous chitin now?
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »
The huge scorpions only drop one piece of the normal monstrous chitin now?

No, they drop two normal bits of chitin now.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
I'm guessing they may have considered the huge scorpions too easy to kill for Thick Monstrous Chitin to drop. More chitin for a larger critter does make sense to me. I haven't gotten anywhere near being able to work with Thick Chitin, but the difficulty of acquiring source materials is usually directly proportional to it's value.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:25:48 PM »
My point is, by removing Thick Chitin from a mid-high level area and keeping it solely in a low-level area, it's only pushing us higher level people into lowbie zones to obtain these items, which I don't like. Forcing us to go to the same cave over and over again because it is the only place I have seen outside of the rare Hook horror spawn in hole by Midway only hinders lower level characters in both crafting supplies and also the spawn there. Which is why I liked the scorpions having Thick chitin, especially since Huge scorpions were fairly rare (averaging about 5 on a full trip around the few spawns I've found outside), it gave us another option to find these materials.

Now, on the topic of Scorpions being too easy to kill. I wholly agree, they are bloody pathetic. Personally, I find them being so weak a complete throw-off of what Har'Akir actually is. I would honestly like to see them bumped up a little bit. Their damage and AB are fine, but their HP and AC is pathetic and they die long before they can actually do any damage. If making them tougher would bring back the Thick chitin, I would certainly love that. Making each one about 2-3 CR higher would certainly fit how tough The Sands are supposed to be, if not higher.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:59:10 AM »
you could also hire people to get the chitin for you?

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 03:22:19 AM »
you could also hire people to get the chitin for you?

Might not fit the character.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:01:17 PM »
On a related sidenote...
there are two crafting stations in the village of Muhar that i know of... but the chitin that can be collected in dozens can not even be worked with in the domain.

I would like to suggest
- adding a woodworker workstation
- adding some of the templates that can be crafted using chitin to the leatherworkers shop
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:37:38 AM »
I promise you, there are vast, vast supplies of Thick Monstrous Chitin in an mid-high level area manageable by a balanced party.  :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:53:00 AM by Ternce »