You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Other PC races?  (Read 1869 times)

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
Other PC races?
« on: June 25, 2011, 12:09:54 AM »
I was wondering whether, provided a scriptor/builder willing, more exotic races might be added to the server? If so, there were a couple of races I thought might go well with this server. The foremost in my mind, however, would require scripting based of ideas presented in the topic named "Fey'ri "alter appearance" substitude", in the General Feedback section. After reading through, I can understand some of the complications that would arise from shapeshifting races, so I simply want to know whether the "people up top" are still open to more PC races before I continue further.
Sorry if there is already a topic where this could more appropriatly be added.
Draxiss - Survival. It's what's for dinner.

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
Re: Other PC races?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Or should I have PMed somebody? If so, who?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
We have a ton of subraces

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:35:17 PM »
What I meant were races that had more monsterous characteristics. . . such as lizardfolk, gnolls, etc.
However, I have read that such races did not fit with the Ravenloft theme, would get mobbed on sight, their models were too unhelpful, etc.
So, I was/am suggesting such races that have monster-like characteristics, but have some way or another of fitting into normal society(such as shapeshifting, disguising self, or their features are simply not noticeable due to concealment), as PC races.
Things like changelings (Eberron Version, not fey that have replaced babies), shifters, etc.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 05:54:22 PM »
No, shapeshifting races will never be implimented in that way

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
So its already decided, then.
Hrm . . . I suppose there's no other way to play an inhuman-looking creature (something that looks like, say, a thri-kreen or a kobold) without being an MPC or Caliban?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 01:54:18 AM »
there will be no chance to play one of those types of races, no

but we do allow alot of freaky races, among them tannaruk for some reason [not normal ork, just demon orcs]

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 02:15:50 AM »
Ah. Okay, then.
*sniffs*
So long, generic reptilian creature.
*violin plays in background*

Miuo

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »
Hmm, would it be possible to apply to play a char that is one of the humanoids in PoTM? Like a Orge or some such?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 04:43:46 PM »
Hmm, would it be possible to apply to play a char that is one of the humanoids in PoTM? Like a Orge or some such?

No, any non-dynamic models aren't allowed. That's also why most of these unusual races are not allowed. If it can be made with a normal dynamic model and no shapeshifting, then it can be put in. At the moment, we have around 50+ subraces, so these races are covered.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2011, 04:49:02 PM »
I think we have way to many weird subraces already

Draxiss

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2011, 11:29:42 PM »
. . . Well, they're all, more or less, versions of the same base races: Elf, dwarf, human, gnome, halfling, half-orc. Not really very weird.
Only ones that come close are Tanarruk, tiefling(maybe), and Caliban . . .

Just saying this because I wouldn't be in good conscience not saying it . . . weirdness is relative. Einstein, you've got it made.

Relatives can be weird, too. But that's different.

But . . . meh. It's a moot point.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 04:56:01 AM »
I strongly dislike "Outlandish" creatures in this setting.  What drew me to Prisoners of the Mist was the Haloween event the first week I started.  Everyone was a very mundane race, the natives were scared of everything, xenophobic, brooding, and miserable.  And I loved it.  I loved how everything was normal, and true, and genuine to Ravenloft.  There were witch burnings for instances of casting first level spells in public, staying indoors was not only encouraged but enforced, and the everyday felt like just a desperate struggle to survive with truly horrific moments slotted in between. 

Ravenloft works best for "normal" characters.  People you would find in the middle ages, or people native to the Core.  Heroic Knights, Secretive Mages, Seedy Thugs, Van Helsing wannabe's, and Downtrodden Commoners are your bread and butter here.  If you'd like to play an extremely outlandish creature, there are many other servers that not only promote it, but also have others of a like mind who play characters just like that.  Ravenloft is an entirely different animal, and one that I've been waiting nearly a decade to scratch behind the ears.  Please don't try to put it to sleep, shave it, or saw it's limbs off by tossing things into the module that don't belong there.