Author Topic: Invisibility Breaking Targetting  (Read 1923 times)

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
Invisibility Breaking Targetting
« on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:11 PM »
I am just wondering if there is anything that can be done about monsters continuing to attack while a PC is invisible.  It seems to be at random, but some monsters continue to attack, even after a PC uses an invisibility potion or spell. Sometimes, they'll chase through transition zones and continue to attack on the other side, having the advantage of gaining ground on you because they come through the transition faster. I've even had them be invisible themselves until a round or two of combat goes by when they catch up, significantly away from the transition zone.  Is there anything that can be done about this visibility/invisibility issue?

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Re: Invisibility Breaking Targetting
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:33:52 PM »
I am just wondering if there is anything that can be done about monsters continuing to attack while a PC is invisible.  It seems to be at random, but some monsters continue to attack, even after a PC uses an invisibility potion or spell. Sometimes, they'll chase through transition zones and continue to attack on the other side, having the advantage of gaining ground on you because they come through the transition faster. I've even had them be invisible themselves until a round or two of combat goes by when they catch up, significantly away from the transition zone.  Is there anything that can be done about this visibility/invisibility issue?
Invisibility isn't an absolute escape, monsters can still hear you. I've personally never seen it be an issue to the extent of them chasing you through several transitions; Its possible to merely walk away and they'll eventually stop targetting.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:24 PM »
I've had it happen more than once that they chase through transitions. My character just died  because of it :P on the other side of a transition she ran through invisibly, with a head start.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:23:13 PM »
I've been hasted and invisible, crossed a transition line, auto-attacked the monster sitting on the other side of the transition, ran some distance with the monster chasing me, cast invisivility once I had gained enough ground, outdistanced the monsters so much I lost sight of them, stopped and they caught up with me.... I then recast haste and ran across three transitions (still invisible). Waited to be sure I was not being followed anymore, then still invisible went back to fin the monsters. They were right on the other side of the first transition I crossed and were still able to see me. So I don't buy the "hearing" Theory.

It has not happened to me often but It has happened more than once. I've been able to "escape" monsters by using invisibility a couple times when being chased but often I have to get out of visible range BEFORE I cast invisibility to get it to work.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:27:17 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 06:42:24 PM »
i myself have tryed this multiple times.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:08:14 PM »
I had this happen the other day.  Got spotted by two beasties while sneaking, drank a haste potion, an invis potion, and ran.  I got across a transition and substantially into the next map, dropped back into stealth and got by another batch of monsters.  About a minute after that, the original two creatures appeared and made a beeline for me, despite me being invisible and in stealth (and with enough distance between us (and time spent getting there) that any line of sight had to have broken).  The other monsters on the map didn't notice, but the original two were clearly unaffected by the invisibility and stealth.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:38:35 PM »
The issue is how the monster AI acts after transitioning- I know what you guys are talking about. I've had monsters still be able to see and attack me after I've casted Greater Sanctuary and left; the same happens with Invisibility too.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
It's kind of not so funny when your character ends up dying because of it. :P Especially considering that escaping when your butt is getting kicked is the number one reason (just about the only reason) any of my characters ever use the effect, personally.

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Invisibility isn't an absolute escape, monsters can still hear you. I've personally never seen it be an issue to the extent of them chasing you through several transitions; Its possible to merely walk away and they'll eventually stop targetting.

Do these monsters have echo location then?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
I can see some creatures either tracking you by scent or by listening to your retreating footsteps. However, I think the last changelog mentioned fixes to this situation.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 03:16:43 PM »
I can see some creatures either tracking you by scent or by listening to your retreating footsteps. However, I think the last changelog mentioned fixes to this situation.

That's really good to know. I mean, I can understand tracking someone by scent or sound, but not at a full gallop, and striking with neither penalties to hit nor concealment miss chances.  But if it's in the works to be fixed, then I guess that's that. :)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
From the June 9th changelog:
- Fixed an issue with transitioning monsters attacking.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman