You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Gold sinks (You have -HOW- much gold?!)  (Read 15277 times)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Gold sinks (You have -HOW- much gold?!)
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »
collecting taxes would likely end with alot of dead and robbed tax collectors sadly

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
A option to travel from the Vistani mist camp, one way, directly to the Vistani camp near the outskirts (with a substantially higher fee) might be an effective gold sink.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2011, 04:08:50 PM »
A option to travel from the Vistani mist camp, one way, directly to the Vistani camp near the outskirts (with a substantially higher fee) might be an effective gold sink.

Not a bad idea. It would be one way as you said, from the Vistani Mist Camp, to the Outskirts area Vistani camp, and cost an arm and a leg. Creating a gold sink, and not enabling new players / characters to instantly bypass the walking adventure between Vallaki and Mist Camp. And since people would still have to walk out there regardless, it doesn't leave untravelled roads. Not a bad idea at all.

Although, I think it's been said before something like this wouldn't be implimented.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:11:31 PM by Jadow_Valroth »
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2011, 04:11:37 PM »

Not a bad idea. It would be one way as you said, from the Vistani Mist Camp, to the Outskirts area Vistani camp, and cost an arm and a leg.

I'd prefer a idea that didn't "punish" everyone, simply gave those with way too much gold somewhere to fritter it away on.

dark_majico

« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
If there is a genuine problem, then that implies something detrimental is happening as a result of all this wealth that everybody is accused of having. What could that problem possibly be?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 04:18:35 PM by dark_majico »

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
Gold doesn't rust. It doesn't even really corrode. I think rust monsters (and various slimes/puddings) already do enough damage to a character's gold level, haha.

Hmm. Maybe we can buy a title in some of the nations? Or buy yourself clemency for a crime?

I think there is some merit to this idea, Suz recently offered 100k to become a Barovian citizen, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

I feel fairly safe that Suz is one of those characters Heretic mentioned you can count on one hand. I have used her money to finance 3 crafts, alchemy, herbalism and bowyer. I have hired an incredible number of PC's over the years to do everything from get me ox grease to gathering information to dating Kayne :) .

While I have personally never felt the need to have things to blow my money on I have often wished that I could use that money to purchase political influence or status, but in my experience the staff are reluctant to go down that road, for whatever reason. It is true that gold does not have the value that it should but that is more in a political and social sense than in terms of day to day commerce. One would think if half the money in the bank was yours you would gain a status from that, Outlander or not. Some of the notions listed in this thread however have been very good, a few I like are

-The custom engraving, totally love that idea

-Buying titles or land (though I can't see it happening)

-The Short cut from Vallaki Vistani to Mist Vistani is a great idea

Though I have never been too worried about money sinks these are things I would certainly use . What I would really like to see though is the social and political value money brings. How many soldiers will 100k arm ? Couldn't that influence someone ? 100k to be a citizen ? Why not accept that ? I won't even get into land but I think if you are willing to throw enough money at any goal almost anything should be possible, 500k to buy a home in Vallaki ? What Burgomiester wouldn't at least consider the idea ? Now I know Barovia has certain social limitations but the Port should at least be open to such things. When you get to a certain point with a PC in terms of levels, power, standing etc you start to look at things from a different perspective. I know with Suz she is now looking at the future she can buy her children, if she ever has them. And that takes us into territory like titles, citizenship and land. These are things that are worthwhile both in a practical sense and a social one. Are these things even possible ? Until they are money will always have limits, but the biggest limitation is your own imagination.

~Taty~

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
Poeple think to modern in the age we play in gold should open most doors rp wise
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2011, 08:09:46 PM »
Actually, when I said buy a title, I meant just that. No land or anything that comes with it. Buying your knighthood, or becoming the Earl/Lord of a nonexistant place. It's happened in history and provides a method of purchasing something without real substance but something that carries some kind of weight in roleplaying.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 09:14:57 PM »

+1 big thumbs up. Id stuff the ballot box on this one if I could.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 11:11:12 PM »
Poeple think to modern in the age we play in gold should open most doors rp wise

the problem is and thats not ment as bad as it sounds but dms dont stick with it.

theres a chance they let you bribe yourself into the higher ranks but eventually they will leave you to your things and all you have left is a small plot that costed tons of cash and no well dont wanna say reward but lack of a better word i'l use it.

so in theory its grand   in practice its useless to use gold for a name or a stature among nobles etc.
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »

I think there is some merit to this idea, Suz recently offered 100k to become a Barovian citizen, but that doesn't look like it will happen.

I feel fairly safe that Suz is one of those characters Heretic mentioned you can count on one hand. I have used her money to finance 3 crafts, alchemy, herbalism and bowyer. I have hired an incredible number of PC's over the years to do everything from get me ox grease to gathering information to dating Kayne :) .

While I have personally never felt the need to have things to blow my money on I have often wished that I could use that money to purchase political influence or status, but in my experience the staff are reluctant to go down that road, for whatever reason. It is true that gold does not have the value that it should but that is more in a political and social sense than in terms of day to day commerce. One would think if half the money in the bank was yours you would gain a status from that, Outlander or not. Some of the notions listed in this thread however have been very good, a few I like are

-The custom engraving, totally love that idea

-Buying titles or land (though I can't see it happening)

-The Short cut from Vallaki Vistani to Mist Vistani is a great idea

Though I have never been too worried about money sinks these are things I would certainly use . What I would really like to see though is the social and political value money brings. How many soldiers will 100k arm ? Couldn't that influence someone ? 100k to be a citizen ? Why not accept that ? I won't even get into land but I think if you are willing to throw enough money at any goal almost anything should be possible, 500k to buy a home in Vallaki ? What Burgomiester wouldn't at least consider the idea ? Now I know Barovia has certain social limitations but the Port should at least be open to such things. When you get to a certain point with a PC in terms of levels, power, standing etc you start to look at things from a different perspective. I know with Suz she is now looking at the future she can buy her children, if she ever has them. And that takes us into territory like titles, citizenship and land. These are things that are worthwhile both in a practical sense and a social one. Are these things even possible ? Until they are money will always have limits, but the biggest limitation is your own imagination.

~Taty~

In my own experience with the server, I'd rather the developers spend time working on things that would help the entirety of the server, rather than a system like player housing thats going to affect only a hand's worth of people. I've personally always played characters that tend to be rather wealthy in comparison to the general public; I'm a firm believer that gold should never be allowed to buy prestige.  If you want to earn citizenship, for example, use that gold to promote intrigue from the Burgomiester, work with players to accomplish a goal and give yourself a good name. This sounds a lot more interesting, involves players, and is more than just handing over a big bag of fang to an NPC.

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2011, 04:52:39 AM »

In my own experience with the server, I'd rather the developers spend time working on things that would help the entirety of the server, rather than a system like player housing thats going to affect only a hand's worth of people.

Me Gusta  :thumbup:

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
I certainly agree it is low priority.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
I dont understand where people fetch all their gold from. I sit on under 5000 on all my characters. I dont even think I reach 10000 on all maxed together.

I did on Revendall run a ton of time into crypts and such nonsense but damn, buying sacrifices and such made the economy break.

Sittin in the Dement auction last weekend, seeing people buy pretty "worthless" stuff compared to what they payed made me go O_O "What the hell is going on?". I seriously do not see how peopel can suddenly pop up with a 100k to buy something out of no where when I can barely get a silver sword from coin. Especially not now when the loot been lowered too in lower level dungeons?

Not saying the loot should be made better, just saying I am shocked at the amount of coin people seemingly have. Inflation is pretty big in the Core.

Dating Kayne? Ew.

We all know there is an economy in game even if we dont want it or not. I saw this on Amia. It was crazy! Things sold for millions and made players like me really strike out as never ever able to do anything cause the billionaires raised the price on everything to amounts impossible to pay off for a non dungeoneering to often player.

Sharauvyn

• Dark Lord
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
Now this is funny. While this pops up, this does too.  :lol:

Low lvls have nothing to do with gold sinks. They need more gold! Hmm, what could be the answer to that. Maybe working on getting gold from the high lvls to the low lvls? Lots of creative ways to do that you know, plus it requires rp interaction between them, and who doesn't want rp? ;)

+1 all around.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2011, 06:12:30 AM »
"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime. If you teach a man to learn, you feed him for a lifetime and he doesn't have to only eat fish." -Chinese Proverb
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2011, 01:57:25 AM »
For the sake of comedy and a dare that I would never suggest something so stupid, I shall do it. SPITE.

Anyways, Ultimate Gold sink? Offer the ability to trade one thousand IG coin for a single point of Character Experience.

You wanna see those bank accounts drain? There you go! Give 'em something they REALLY want!

//End weariness induced insanity.

//Begin comedic response of the Community?
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2011, 11:26:58 AM »
A commuter train to make travel something besides jaw droppingly tedius. Id easily pay the Visanti a thousand gold so long as I didnt have to waste several hours IRL just going somewhere thats considered part of the main road network of Vallaki.

I cant count the number of raids weve had to postpone because half the people on follow mode have fallen asleep at their consoles. No lie.

Badelaire

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
I already have a gold sink thank you, they're called greater restoration scrolls and do far more than thousands of gold pieces sat in my bank accounts.  8)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
Here in Vegas, folks that donate money to certain city/county properties (like the gun range, parks, etc.) can get their name put on that piece of property for a certain period of time. It's kind of similar to the Adopt-A-Highway kind of thing.

For example, here's the actual rules regarding naming rights at the local public gun range:
Naming rights will be granted for buildings, improvements, facilities, features, fixtures and sites for one (1), five (5), ten (10) and twenty (20) years based on the following scale: If there are conflicting applications for the same feature, the applicant offering the best price will be selected.
One Year $1,000-$3,000
Two Years $3,001 to $6,000
Three Years $6,001 to $9,000
Four Years $9,001 to $12,000
Five Years $12,001 to $1,000,000
Ten Years $1,000,001 to $3,000,000
Twenty Years $3,000,001 or more

I'm tempted to donate money to put a friend's name on a restroom facility. :mrgreen:

While I don't see Barovia having a lot of opportunities, Port-A-Lucine may work well for this kind of thing. The Darmington Opera House, etc. 8)
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Grim

• New to the Mists
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
Hirelings? That could be pretty cool if possible. Follow you around like a summon, until they die, or you run out of money to pay them.

They would require X amount of gold per IC day.

----

Rentable homes? Where you had to pay X amount per IG week. Would be a place to call your own. This is probably quite out of the question however.

---

Vendors which you could rent would also be pretty cool if possible. Able to place your items on them for sale in the outskirts or some such. They would stay while it's day time or some such.
-

Definitely good Ideas, I liked what they did with the PRC and true necromancer, allowing for multiple undead to be summoned with a permanent duration.  However for "money sink" ideas it would be neat to have some sort of new craft for possibly creating undead minions like "corpse crafting" or something of that nature that required components gained from... maybe buying them from an unscrupulous figure selling fresh corpses for a quick buck?   I know there are plenty of pnp details as to the cost of crafting undead minions.   Just an idea to make necromancy more fun ;) rather then just slinging around death spells and having a single gimpy summon, or some levels in palemaster.  Obviously this would be a highly dangerous profession to partake in, hell even just the selling of bodies is likely to get you hanged in a good many towns we have access to on the current server, however it'd definitely provide for some very interesting new IC situations ;)

Just a thought though, thought id toss in my 2c.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
recent server events shown what the ultimate succesfull gold sink is.

our ideas 0 server making up its own mind 1

stand: we lost atm

Grim

• New to the Mists
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2011, 02:43:29 AM »
recent server events shown what the ultimate succesfull gold sink is.

our ideas 0 server making up its own mind 1

stand: we lost atm

Oh noez! zombie servers eating all the monies D:

Noceur

• New to the Mists
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
How much gold? 40?
I had almost 700, then some angry dwarf and his enormous friend smacked me down and molested my poor corpse.

Kiess2606

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
A commuter train to make travel something besides jaw droppingly tedius. Id easily pay the Visanti a thousand gold so long as I didnt have to waste several hours IRL just going somewhere thats considered part of the main road network of Vallaki.

I cant count the number of raids weve had to postpone because half the people on follow mode have fallen asleep at their consoles. No lie.

*raises hand* I have done this! Its such a long walk to places sometimes it really cuts down on actual game time and I dont know how much RP I even really get from the walk. Especially if im not on follow. Also when you have a low level character it makes it very hard to go to events held in Port due to the dangers on the road...the Vistani caravan the DMs host sometimes helps but never have it when im going back and I actually had a character die who was far to low level to be on that road. I would happily spend money on better tansportation!

Alexandria Zathra, Lina Luxton, Lilith Mithariel