Author Topic: Gold sinks (You have -HOW- much gold?!)  (Read 15167 times)

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
Re: Gold sinks (You have -HOW- much gold?!)
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
greed is a common thing and we all think aaah if i have a minimum of 4k i'l be fine    hmmmm 4.5 works better   no wait that last item costed me 6k maybe i should keep that so i dont have to scrounge the remaining money,  so it goes up and up unnoticed and greed takes over even if its harmless and minor but all combined it got us to a point we are in now.

For me its more like, ok I'm 12 level so I at least need to carry enough around on me to pay for a raise so that is not so bad.... oh wait because of the zombie thing I should really be safe and have at least enough for two attempts so. Mmmm wait if I get zombified I'll need to pay for a resurrection and  that could fail as well so I should double that. Ok, so now I should have to add that to what I need for a regular raise dead... Oh, then I could get stuck at the mist camp... so I really need to make sure I have travel expenses so to be safe I should make sure I can pay for two round trips, so I can be sure to be able to get to where my friends are.

Speaking of friends, I really should make sure I can pay to raise my friend I usually travel with.... what level are they again? I don't remember.... well they can't be any higher than level 20 so enough for one raise dead attempt and two resurrections...

I have to have ...... -THAT MUCH?!!- to be 'safe' enough to go adventuring?  lets see, I need a way to get this I know I can handle... deliveries to the tower you get a package each way.  It's not glamorous but I know I can do that and I'm not getting in anyone else's way. Ok that is...... 178 round trips... and the fastest I can do a round trip is.... 30 minutes...... I think I'll play something else with the hour and a half I have today.

"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 09:00:30 PM »
Time is a factor in this.  Some characters have more gold or resources because they have spent more time playing or have played for a longer period of time. Some because they are very old characters from a time when gold was far easier to come by than it is currently.  Some players have many alts and split their playtime between more than one pc and those characters have less gold individually for example than a player who focuses on one pc.  These will always be variables, but I don't see variables as inherently being problems.
Bingo.  I think this is why all the perspectives can not see the whole picture.  I have a difficult time getting enough gold to buy much of anything, because of the gold sinks in game.  Whenever there is an item I would like to buy, I have to make a conscience effort to not craft and to not use the ferryman and to do something that earns for a while until i have it.

The primary reason is time, I just dont spend nearly as much time playing as I once did. It makes the economy much more realistic than what I experienced before. Having enough time to amass large quantities with nothing to spend it on is great, but I would say those people aren't participating in activities that are sinks (crafting, travel or death of character) or play and earn much more in comparison to others. The greatest use of gold is in hiring other PCs to do things for you, not nearly enough people do this as there should be.  If you are swimming in gold, put it to use in stimulating the lower level economy and server wide dynamics.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 09:00:53 PM »
We got access to the numbers of bank account of every PC. I've examined them recently and realized PC's are not absurdly rich as some claim them to be. The richest PC's are IC traders and characters who've been in play for years - out of a full player list of 50, those exceeding 100k, you can count them in one hand.

I'd say, its pretty good.

-----

There's been good IC suggestions with gold sinks, instead of debating whether or not we need more of them, why don't you suggest possible gold sinks without the expectation that we will add them, but might, when a developer, out of his own free time, will have the desire and patience to do so.

Its not a priority, nor an urgent matter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:12:30 PM by The Heretic, The »

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 09:16:58 PM »
That was pretty much the point of this thread, Heretic. Not that they had to be added right away, but to suggest good ideas for gold sinks that could be implimented in the future, when, as you said, a developer has the free time to do so.

And as I said, removing diamonds from the loot table compeltely, or at least all but tiny and have them drop rarely so new players could find some instead of buying. That way, with people needing to buy the diamonds from NPCs, it takes the gold out of the system, and when the diamonds are used, removes it completely.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »
That was pretty much the point of this thread, Heretic. Not that they had to be added right away, but to suggest good ideas for gold sinks that could be implimented in the future, when, as you said, a developer has the free time to do so.

And as I said, removing diamonds from the loot table compeltely, or at least all but tiny and have them drop rarely so new players could find some instead of buying. That way, with people needing to buy the diamonds from NPCs, it takes the gold out of the system, and when the diamonds are used, removes it completely.

I would prefer something that adds further customization options to the game, like the mentioned engraver over something what would make the diamond/raise dead/resurrection situation even more frustrating.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
I would prefer something that adds further customization options to the game, like the mentioned engraver over something what would make the diamond/raise dead/resurrection situation even more frustrating.

That could be cool as well. As far as the diamonds and raise system being frustrating.. I haven't really known anyone to find it to bad. Beyond the fact that dying sucks, as well as it should. I play a Cleric personally, and have found more diamonds, and continue to find more, than I will probably ever use. I talk to a few other clerics very frequently too, which is how I came up with the removing diamonds from the loot table idea. We all have so many that it's not even really an issue.
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
Think luxury too:

In Port-a-Lucine, aside the Penthouse of the GVT Hotel, what would you like your characters to buy with $, to feel immesively rich?

Push the reflexion further, can this create new RP possibilities?

marlewebber

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:18 PM »
Playing a religious PC, I find endless applications for gold.  I consistently use it to drive RP, commission the creation of art/paintings, help equip PCs, and so on.

So... if your PC really can't think of a way to spend their money, and you want to contribute to the server RP, TITHE IT!

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
Hirelings? That could be pretty cool if possible. Follow you around like a summon, until they die, or you run out of money to pay them.

They would require X amount of gold per IC day.

----

Rentable homes? Where you had to pay X amount per IG week. Would be a place to call your own. This is probably quite out of the question however.

---

Vendors which you could rent would also be pretty cool if possible. Able to place your items on them for sale in the outskirts or some such. They would stay while it's day time or some such.
-
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
Another idea which could be okay, is NPC's you could pay to gather you crafting supplies. Say, every 25 gold or so would net you a random herb. Something along those lines.
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »
Glow effects on items could be another good one. People love an item that has that varnish like shine. So say for.. some absurd about, 50k? You could add one of these effects to a weapon.

--

Also, a dungeon or some such place where there was a small chance that very good equipment could be found. But it cost a large amount of gold per person to enter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:47:18 PM by Jadow_Valroth »
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »
High price one shot things like renaming weapons and making them glow do not really count as gold sinks.  Gold sinks take money over time.  Anything that's a one go, people will probably just grind for a day, do it, and then be back where they started.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
Glow effects on items could be another good one. People love an item that has that varnish like shine. So say for.. some absurd about, 50k? You could add one of these effects to a weapon.

--

Also, a dungeon or some such place where there was a small chance that very good equipment could be found. But it cost a large amount of gold per person to enter.

I think players like shiny things more than their characters.  :lol:

As for the dungeon idea, that sounds a bit too much of an OOC device as you've stated it. But if you could, once in a blue moon, purchase a treasure map from an NPC...
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2011, 10:10:19 PM »
Playing a religious PC, I find endless applications for gold. 
You're telling me, my Paladin's religion sacrfices SILVER weapons on a fire pyre. He will never be rich, and it makes him more religion servant than wealthy adventurer. I love roleplaying religion for these sort of otherwise nonsensical quirks that they offer.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
Not to sound all confrontational, but -why- do higher level characters need a gold sink? Is there something wrong with having a lot of money? 'd much rather the gold stored be used productively then turned over for some arbitrary reason. (That does not discriminate on how much weath you actually have.)

But since you asked i will propose my idea.

Have craftable reagents purchasable in Port Au Lucine for a massively inflated price. Allowing not only people to craft in Le Port, but also have a use for their stockpiled moneys that actually sees some kind of return.

This is a really good idea. Not only reagents but some potions as well would make perfect gold sinks. With one of my characters I spend about two hours just gathering materials for potions and varnishes out of about every three hours on line. After 2 years real time this character is still only 14th level. He also has about 60k in the bank despite getting routinely ganked and losing all his weapons and gold. I would gladly pay 1000 gold for a bottle of cure critical wounds since it would relieve me of the sheer tedium of spending most of my day just running around grabbing things. Ditto for strong varnishes.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 10:22:03 PM »
I find it slightly odd we're trying to come up with ideas, when some have already been done before. Anyone remember Nordock? Ooh the fun to be had on that module, and it being the most popular out of all the shared ones. There was lots to spend money on, mercenaries to help you in your travels (Thanks to HotU you can get TWO mercenaries). There was also a  housing system, with purchasable (and placeable) items. I recall there even being chicken/dog racing for those who wanted to bet money. If we could get the gambling hall at the Nymph to not bug out, then there's a solution although it does give money back... provided you don't lose.  

If you really wish to remove that money from the system, there's always a trash bin  ;)

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 10:47:46 PM »
Not everything done somewhere else is practical or feasible for us.

I wouldn't mind the ability to build a home/castle/tower. Make it somewhat generic (so it takes very little to make/place it) to start, place it somewhere out of the way, and charge an arm and a leg for it. Saves the problem of not having enough player buildings in town, gives you an alternative personal/faction HQ, and shouldn't be overly taxing making a quick/boring place.

Heck, you could even waste (er, spend) more money furnishing, improving, and populating it with furniture, servants, etc.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2011, 10:52:27 PM »
I find it slightly odd we're trying to come up with ideas, when some have already been done before. Anyone remember Nordock? Ooh the fun to be had on that module, and it being the most popular out of all the shared ones. There was lots to spend money on, mercenaries to help you in your travels (Thanks to HotU you can get TWO mercenaries). There was also a  housing system, with purchasable (and placeable) items.
Hirelings? That could be pretty cool if possible. Follow you around like a summon, until they die, or you run out of money to pay them.
They would require X amount of gold per IC day.
----
Rentable homes? Where you had to pay X amount per IG week. Would be a place to call your own. This is probably quite out of the question however.
Player housing is not supported on PotM; design choice. Using gold to make soloing easier is also not likely to be implemented and nor really should it since it contradicts other systems to promote teamwork (with other human controlled characters).

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2011, 11:32:45 PM »

Some ideas...

• Such as a place in the nobles district that can only be entered if your a native who can afford the high costs of entry.  Being a member is a sign of high standing to others.
  • A rare items dealer could be set up somewhere with guards who charge a substantial fee to even enter, then inflate the markup on the store to make it less desireable to buy the item rather than wait to find it or hope to find it in another shop elsewhere(pc or npc). 
  • thought up a system some time back for a "bandit" group to charge a fee for people to pass.  Stage (say on a bridge) a fairly powerful group of creatures in league with a group of bandits, place a neutral faction NPC on each end of the bridge(out of sight of the group) who can be bribed for safe passage.  If the PC's agree and pay the toll, their factions are set to neutral with the nasties.  A trigger on the far side can reset the faction so they have to pay on the return trip as well.  Attacking either neutral npc would cause them to "call" the group from the bridge to their aid.  These could grow in strength over time or vary randomly as to what dangers the central group might possess in the way of skills.  Make their loot insignifigant(save the neutral npc's who temporarily hold onto any gold given by PC's

the options are many

Sage - When stories come to life

jlove916

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
if you need a gold sink, that is being over vain.. i mean.. can you do with just a silver or maybe even a cooper sink.?
Cyber bullets cause no pain.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 03:01:18 AM »
i wish i had your problems...

i did not read all of the thread, but here are my usual money sinks:
- crafting. mentioned before, but not only during training, but also for gettig rid of tons of woundwart and ravenclaw that make up so much of box contents bought
- travelling by boat or vistani caravan
- NPC-only consumables with a use (or those that are easier to purchase than to make in sufficient amounts... holy water, barkskin, healing packs)
- NPC-only consumables with RP-only use (large amounts of whiskey, dwarven ale, stout heart, romulich wine)
- a visit to the port (don't ask how... but going there costs me 4k every time on average)

to suggest another possible sink:
make rust monsters eat a (capped) percentage of gold as well. So no more than 100 coins per hit
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:05:50 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
Gold doesn't rust. It doesn't even really corrode. I think rust monsters (and various slimes/puddings) already do enough damage to a character's gold level, haha.

Hmm. Maybe we can buy a title in some of the nations? Or buy yourself clemency for a crime?

Glade

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2011, 07:54:06 AM »
Gold is gold at the end of the day.

Whether you die or spend it, you'll still lose it.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2011, 08:21:37 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:29 AM »
Why not have some IG methods. Maybe have some members of the DM staff start a war between Barovia and one of its neighbors. Something that doesnt even need to intrude directly upon the setting the characters are involved in. Further have the guarda escort tax collectors into the outskirts to 'collect' extroidinary taxes for time of war or such. Back in the feudal days raising taxes was haphazard at best anyway. Have the life of the nation a little less static while running in the background, and as a bonus...if you really want PCs to move into some of the other areas of the server what better way then the threat of TAXING them simply for standing around the outskirts.

I dont know. If thats too hands on POTM has some very cool scripts running depending on weather its day or night. time of year, etc. Maybe make a few more describing sweeping events IG and having some method implemented to collect them by default. All the bubble-gum rebels loitering in the outskirts SHOULD hate the govermnent more. Sweeping taxation is a time honored method of accomplishing that.