You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: NWN: EE has no brightness options, and the server is too dark :(  (Read 2527 times)

BonkemBerin

• New to the Mists
Hey everyone, I've played here off and on for the past couple of years and I just wanted to get this off my chest. I believe the darkness on the server is too intense at times, and it even dims a light spell or items that cast light. Here is a screenshot of my char with light on her in the forest:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/258917826293661696/537953999081570304/unknown.png

Even my dark vision character can't see much. On top of it all, I have very poor eyes IRL :(

This happens all the time where I basically bump into every single enemy along the way and I wonder if there is some way to adjust brightness of the game itself. I never complained in the past because the classic NWN allowed brightness to change, but now I am entirely blind. I found a way to at least change brightness through my Nvidia Control Panel, but it makes my entire screen go to town with it.

Any ideas, suggestions, or thoughts welcome. This seems more like a technical issue so I thought I'd post it here.

Soulray

• Church of Ezra - Ste. Mère des Larmes
  • Outlander
Re: NWN: EE has no brightness options, and the server is too dark :(
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:51:25 AM »
Not really a feature they advertise or have in the settings yet for some reason, but you can type "Gamma (number)" in console to change the gamma, with 2.2 being the default value. You can access the console by pressing the ~ key. Also, make sure the G in Gamma is capitalized, else it wont work. Hope this helped.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:06:41 AM »
Pressing and holding TAB gives everything interact-able with a colored aura. You must realize that at this point of course. You can try and getting used to use that as a sonar to spot enemies before you're onto them.

BonkemBerin

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 07:14:56 AM »
Hey :)

Thanks, that's helpful! Well - kind of anyway. Tilde doesn't work for me, but I googled and it said that you can just do "##" before a command as well.

So for me it was "##Gamma 2.2" or "##Gamma 1.2"

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction here. Very much appreciated :)

Soulray

• Church of Ezra - Ste. Mère des Larmes
  • Outlander
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Oh, that's odd that it doesn't work. Well, I'm glad that you figured it out, regardless. Have fun and hope to see you on the server! :)

Silas Rotleaf

• Dark Lord
  • Space cat!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 09:50:32 AM »
The tab thing also helps if you drop an object by mistake on a dark map tile when you want to spot it on the ground... just not so well underwater (underwater is tricky for everybody 100% of the time which is why we aren’t allowed to stash PVP carcasses there, fun fact!).

damian5000

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2023, 11:08:31 AM »
I'm not sure why but this is not working for me. I can enter the command but brightness not changing.

HopeIsTheCarrot

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Dark Lord
  • Discord: HopeIsTheCarrot #5147
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2023, 11:15:12 AM »
If the command doesn’t work, you should be able to just click into visual settings and adjust Gama Slider there. Right?

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 11:23:21 AM »
You could also increase your screen brightness while gaming. It's what I do
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Maiyannah

• First Watcher
  • Dark Power
  • Courage is the soul of life.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2023, 11:49:54 AM »
If you have an nVidia card you should be able to set the gamma on a per-app basis too.

Does the in-game gamma setting not work though?
Currently:
Livu Olmstead - First Watcher of Helm
Emmanuelle Skyshard - Ezran escapee from Hazlan

Also:
Liliana Bolboceanu - Forest ranger

Wilkins1952

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
  • For good to win evil must do nothing
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 02:01:29 PM »
Another option to help with visibility in some areas on the server is to do ##mainscene.fog 0 Helps a lot in some areas issue is have to reapply it after every transition.
"Its like watching people walk up to the line for "Be excellent to each other" and seeing how far they can spit across it." -GMNO

Chadyo

• Dark Lord
  • Don't you deserve better than a part-time deity?
    • My crafting post!
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2023, 04:42:50 AM »
Have they ever told you the story of darth Atuar the blind? No no of course they wouldn't. Darth Atuar the blind was a man who's screen did not have proper brightness settings and often the sun would shine from outside the window onto his screen. But then he went into the settings menu and set the gamma value to 1.8, instead of 2.2

And now he could see, specially in the dark.