Author Topic: Useless items.  (Read 4802 times)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Useless items.
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:55 AM »
I've been thinking on it lately: Do we REALLY have to keep the rotted and rusted itens in game?

Seriously: it just serves to keep corpses in the ground, what ultimately increases lag...
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Miuo

Re: Useless items.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
Could replace the items with more alchemy items :3? Like a rib bone or suck :D?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 03:41:29 PM »
They aren't useless. The skeletons find use for them! If you are worried about lag, throw the stuff into the nearest sarcophagus. My religious character RP's that he's returning the corpses and the weapons to the coffins as a form of re-burial.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
i will just repeat the suggestion to make rusted items meltable in the smelter to create iron - steel may be a bit unbalanced...
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
That could work. But it would make getting rusted items preferable to actually mining iron in the first place. Rusted items are currently more plentiful and more convenient to get at for the average smith. Maybe we could replace the rusted items for bronze or iron equipment.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
The smelting thing is a cool idea :)

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 04:12:36 PM »
What about some place to just recycle them and get I dunno...5g each or w/e for the people who want the gold and dont mind luggnig around 50lbs of rusty armour

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
Aren't they sellable at Murnus? I remember back in ancient days when I wasn't DM'ing I used to make a buck selling rotted long bows there :p

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
when I started here, Murnu bought Rotted Longbows for 106 gps, but normal bows for 20 gps.

But it was only bows

DM Macabre

• Dungeon Master
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 01:42:42 AM »
Rusted items are a part of the decayed atmosphere created in Ravenloft. I use them quite often in my plots. Without them potm would be much more like just another d&d world.

Miuo

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 02:16:39 AM »
Make them smelt-able but have it take a few to equal one thing that you would get from ore since it is all rusted and needs to be refined down o.o?

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 02:59:07 AM »
i thought about 1 iron ingot per size category of the item - maybe none at all for small items like short swords. 2-3 for greatswords or armour.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Miuo

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 03:42:45 AM »
[No idea how the metal crafting system works but thinks it sounds relatively fair?]

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
Rusted items are a part of the decayed atmosphere created in Ravenloft. I use them quite often in my plots. Without them potm would be much more like just another d&d world.

It indeed adds to the immersion...

But what bothers me is that it is useless to the players and helps to build lag.

I really liked the idea of using it as source of iron.

In my ideal and perfect world we would have a system to break items and then throw then in the smelter.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
its a very GOOD idea the making them meltable  one.
also to balance it out wich is simple aswell   ore gives more ingots then a rotting piece of metal thus making mining still more efficient YET in addition they can get more and use the rotted metal weapons for ingots aswell.

its a win win and cant be abused, lowbies can sell to smiths etc etc.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
You are neglecting the fact that it would be far easier for Vallaki based smiths to scrounge up rusted items, and melt them down for ingots rather then hike all the way to Dvergeheim for iron ore.

Miuo

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »
sadly i don't know you could do with the rotted bows or arrows :3

Idk, lugging all that stuff around to smith down into what would be less then mining doesn't seem to worth it for me to rely on. I could see them lugging stuff out as a added bonus to taking a party down there.

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »
You are neglecting the fact that it would be far easier for Vallaki based smiths to scrounge up rusted items, and melt them down for ingots rather then hike all the way to Dvergeheim for iron ore.

It is that bad?

Well, just make the iron from the rust items not able to be turned on steel.

Maybe making that able to creat a different king of iron, dunno.

The only thing that bothers me is that we are building up lag for no apparent reason other than the aesthetic.

Miuo

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
Make it poor iron, with a draw back to it? Maybe a slight weakness against something? Would be a nice starter material for nubs then? Maybe make it little lesser xp as well, low levels could gather it up when dungeoning and work on that to start with, then eventually move on to mining actual iron for use.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 02:56:14 PM »
At the moment, the first level of the Dvergeheim mine has maybe one or two rocks that will yield iron ore. I'd imagine each rock is good for 5-10 ore, at best. For more than that you need to wander down to the lower levels where monsters hide. Monsters that are tougher than the skeletons that usually wield the rusted gear.

On a quick romp through the first level down in the crypts, you can easily find 15 or more rusted items, and if each produced one ingot, you can see that this would far easier and less challenging for acquiring ore, than an actual mine.

Make it poor iron, with a draw back to it? Maybe a slight weakness against something? Would be a nice starter material for nubs then? Maybe make it little lesser xp as well, low levels could gather it up when dungeoning and work on that to start with, then eventually move on to mining actual iron for use.

Doesn't work like that. Copper is the starting point for new smiths, with bronze being second. Iron is out of the range of a new smith.

Miuo

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
Make it so you need three of each item to produce a single ingot? Iv no idea really how the system works since i find all the other jobs to taskful, i stick to just herbalism XD Mmm, but if not smithing maybe a different use, turn them into a smith who can use them, kinda like the ratter?

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
The only use I've ever had for rusted items was to temporarily equip any of my low levels that had to respawn. Junk should get junked.

Miuo

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »
There not complete junk though, they have usable materials. I can see rotted arrows and bows left as junk and such since i don't think you can really turn rotted wood into anything. . .But the metal is still a usable material. Have the smith in the Armory buy it up for like 6-10gp a piece. That way it isn't gonna cheat the crafting system, there wound bt a ton of stuff just laying about and now there is another source of income for some.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »
Who knows. Maybe the rusted items are more rust than metal. They might not be salvageable.

Badelaire

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
Would be an interesting addition to smithing if you could take stuff like rusted weapons and armour and recycle them into a small amount of ingots.