You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: An unfortunate issue with storing stackable items - change underway  (Read 2235 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
This may affect many traders, so I want to give a heads up in advance. It has unfortunately turned out that the storage system is incompatible with the way NWN deals with (or fails to deal with) stackable items. As such, we are forced to make these items no longer eligible for storage.

All stackable items in inventories will be auto-updated by next update to reflect that.

We regret having to do this, but at current, there's no feasible way to work around it.

Shadowthrone

The main stackable items I store are varnishes because they're freaking heavy (a stack is 3lb, it adds up.) I don't suppose it's possible to have their weight reduced to the same as potions?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
to compensate them.

hand out a 100% bag to the trader factions.
under strict rule ofcourse to not abuse it.

just thinking along.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
The main stackable items I store are varnishes because they're freaking heavy (a stack is 3lb, it adds up.) I don't suppose it's possible to have their weight reduced to the same as potions?

Really, Varnished do get extremely heavy, even in a Magic Bag. I think they're something like 1.1lbs per ten stack in a bag? As these stackable consumables are amongst the best selling items, could we get something to ease the load a bit? A full-fledged Bag of Holding might be a bit of over-kill and subject to some measure of abuse, but something? Even reducing varnishes weight to the same as potions like Sheltatha mentioned would help greatly, at least until a way to fix the situation comes about. Otherwise, we may not be able to offer these items for sale due to the person pretty much being immobile somewhere.  :(
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
heh i mean for example giving the vardos from a certain rank such a bag and its locked on their char.

Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Miuo

Id be for both, or make potions and varnishes weightless!  :twisted:

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Id be for both, or make potions and varnishes weightless!  :twisted:

This. I wholly endorse removing the vast majority of my weight problems.   :lol:
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
Why the typical d&d player always thinks to go around like Rambo?
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
no to Bags of holding, yes to lower weigh, no to weightless

Springer

• Dark Lord
I think varnishes should stay as they are. If you want to hoard tons of varnishes prepare for a downside.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: An unfortunate issue with storing stackable items - change underway
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
Exactly. Keep it juggling act of convenience.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 04:21:08 PM »
I've no idea if this is doable but;

Now that brewing has the option of brewing in bulk up to ten at a time, what if there was the option given in brewing that allowed for rather than 10 stacking bottles, a large water skin or big bottle filled with 10 uses of what ever potion it was filled with.  Charged items cannot be bugged by the storage system that I am aware of, and when the pc drinks the last 'charge' the skin/big bottle would disappear.  So in effect, giving the brewer the option of making little vials of stacking potions, or one big bottle/skin that equals 10 if the resources to make ten are in the cauldron.  A big bottle or skin could weigh the same as ten stacked potion bottles, right now that's 1 pound.  Perhaps the NPC could sell a bigger bottle or skin that allows for filling.

If that's doable similar might be possible with alchemy?  Alchemy allows for the extraction of essences in bulk amounts.   Perhaps the npc could sell a larger bottle which can be filled with the equivalent of 10 essences which could then be made into an item with 10 charges of varnish application use and would weigh the same as 10 stacking varnishes, but can be stored.

As some one who plays a pc merchant, this would allow the compromise of still being able to offer potions and varnishes for sale.  My character doesn't have a "hoard" of potions/varnishes so much as stock on hand for sale, and if she couldn't store those, it would be a choice made between mobility and continuing to offer those items for sale.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 06:12:36 PM by Vespertilio »

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
nice idea jinx.

glad ppl are thinking for solutions instead of the usual.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:35 PM »
Thats somewhat odd, was there a change to the system for stored items with uses- I remember accidently using potions when they were stored, and they didn't do anything when the system was first released. Did something happen to change it?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:05 AM »
After no small amount of work, I think I found a way to prevent the issues arising. Keep your fingers crossed.