You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Wizard Staffs - Apprentice + Other  (Read 1996 times)

dark_majico

Wizard Staffs - Apprentice + Other
« on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:53 AM »
The appearances of the wizard staffs are, in my opinion very skewed and utterly broken. I'm a believer in uniformity when it comes to magical items, and I think that apprentice staffs should be simple wooden staffs, and only the more powerfull staffs should have vortexes and skulls that glow, I also disagree with the fact you can alter them freely at the moment.

So, my suggestions are...

1) Apprentice staffs, and staffs of similar low power, be changed in the toolset to a uniform simple wooden staff appearance. While keeping the more powerful staffs looking powerfull and intimidating.

2) To make magical staffs uncraftable.

3) Take a moment to consider what school of magic the staffs belong too and if there appearance is suitable or not.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
Re: Wizard Staffs - Apprentice + Other
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
Just to give my thoughts on part of what you say: The glowy staffs are free to alter atm.. but it all comes down to the old chain mail bikini discussion. Some players prefer to look super cool. Other players want ... ehh let's call it realism I guess. (Or lower fantasy?)  These discussions usually don't lead anywhere with both sides having strong opinions. Atm we have a few armors that are unchangeable because it goes too strongly against their item descriptions.

Romar Notten

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:49:08 AM »
I prefer to be able to craft my staffs
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:03:02 PM by Romar Notten »

Miuo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 02:04:04 PM »
I cants use a staff. . .but if it could! I would  want to be able to craft it freely, but yush i do agree, maybe lock a few of the lesser ones so they have to look simple. I could see them being not of enough power to have all the fancy visuals., would it be possible to start making some staffs that are like the lightning rod one, bothers me a bit how you have to always carry a staff on you're shoulder and cant walk along with it. . .

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
I like the idea of having it look how you want. I mean, it can't be that complicated an illusion to make your staff have a big swirly universe on top of it.

However, amongst wizards, holding a staff like that implies you have earned it, and the odd wizard wandering about challenging those who flaunt power they haven't got could be a lark.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
I cants use a staff. . .but if it could! I would  want to be able to craft it freely, but yush i do agree, maybe lock a few of the lesser ones so they have to look simple. I could see them being not of enough power to have all the fancy visuals., would it be possible to start making some staffs that are like the lightning rod one, bothers me a bit how you have to always carry a staff on you're shoulder and cant walk along with it. . .

I've seen two seperate staves now that are capable of being used by clerics, so they do exist. (They aren't neccessarily staves -for- clerics, but still, they can be equipped)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
Some reasonably basic weapons have glow effects. I don't see why even an apprentice wizard staff couldn't. The wise wizard in Barovia would probably not look like a wizard at all though! Attention isn't always something to be sought after.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Miuo

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:34:38 AM »

I've seen two seperate staves now that are capable of being used by clerics, so they do exist. (They aren't neccessarily staves -for- clerics, but still, they can be equipped)
:o! iv yet to see any :/ Then again i'm not exactly looking, i don't like having to carry the thing on my shoulder.

arrmuth

• Undead Master
  • Honor is everything.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 08:46:00 PM »

Im looking though. By chance do you remember the names of them?