Author Topic: Suggeston: Ability to destroy/break items  (Read 3547 times)

Emomina

• Dark Power
Suggeston: Ability to destroy/break items
« on: May 16, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
I'm sure many will point out the possible drawbacks, but it would be nice if a goodly type could take an obviously evil item and destroy it so that it does not fall into another's hands or for rival faiths to be able to demolish the items of opposing churches. Or for anyone who hates magic to be able to destroy any of it.

The system i envision would modify the item's name to be Broken (item name) and would be unusable similar to the way that stored items work. A possible way to repair items that are destroyed could even exist, with perhaps a random roll of dice determining if destroying or repairing even works. Failure could result in dangerous levels of magic damage.
Its a thought.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
Re: Suggeston: Ability to destroy/break items
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 01:31:03 AM »
+1 How about destroyable doors so it's easier to save/consume barovians in locked homes at night?  :twisted:

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:17 AM »
I'm sure many will point out the possible drawbacks, but it would be nice if a goodly type could take an obviously evil item and destroy it so that it does not fall into another's hands or for rival faiths to be able to demolish the items of opposing churches. Or for anyone who hates magic to be able to destroy any of it.

The system i envision would modify the item's name to be Broken (item name) and would be unusable similar to the way that stored items work. A possible way to repair items that are destroyed could even exist, with perhaps a random roll of dice determining if destroying or repairing even works. Failure could result in dangerous levels of magic damage.
Its a thought.

In this context, I like this idea. Actually there is already a roundabout way of breaking items in game. You have to take the item you want to destroy and find an "unbreakable chest". Put the item in and then bash it until the item breaks. How about using the existing forges to break most normal items but have something in the  Port-a-Lucine university that would destroy some of the more tough magical items?

"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:33:28 PM »
Didn't Bad Bud post a very nice tutorial on how to destroy things? :P

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »
Throw it in a trash barrel somewhere out of the way. :)

Otherwise, magical items, especially evil ones are probably not going to be easy to destroy. Look what Frodo had to do to just destroy a ring. I'd imagine the Dark Powers want evil magic items in circulation.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:49:40 PM »

Otherwise, magical items, especially evil ones are probably not going to be easy to destroy. Look what Frodo had to do to just destroy a ring. I'd imagine the Dark Powers want evil magic items in circulation.

Ohhhhh... I want a domain called Mordor.
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »

Ohhhhh... I want a domain called Mordor.

I believe an artifact as powerful as "The One Ring" is vastly overpowered to the Ravenloft setting.  ;)  Still. having some certain evil items that require certain components in order for them to be destroyed could bring some interesting possibilities. Though now that I say that it seems better left for a DM quest event to get the components and destroy the powerful item.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Miuo

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Could IC'ly go about destroying it then catch a DM when they are on to pick it out of inv and destroy?

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:16:03 AM »
DM's are willing to help in this I've found, even, shockingly, in the even of someone evil destroying a relic from a goodly inclined faith too  :lol:
But, I think the gist of the origional post was to see if it was possible for it to be done without DM assistance. I think though, destroying artefacts and relics and things is a little bit bigger than breaking a chair though, since there are powers at work here that may want to take action upon the breaker.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »

I believe an artifact as powerful as "The One Ring" is vastly overpowered to the Ravenloft setting.  ;)  Still. having some certain evil items that require certain components in order for them to be destroyed could bring some interesting possibilities. Though now that I say that it seems better left for a DM quest event to get the components and destroy the powerful item.

Oh, come on, it was only a Ring of Invisibility, and even putting it on caused wraiths to attack you and you to become insanely addicted to it.

Give me potions of invisibility any day.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:21 PM »
an extra room in the morninglord temples and ezrite temples where such things could be preformed and happen.

(as they are both good faiths and actually destroy evil it would fit)

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 04:50:54 PM »

I believe an artifact as powerful as "The One Ring" is vastly overpowered to the Ravenloft setting.  ;)  Still. having some certain evil items that require certain components in order for them to be destroyed could bring some interesting possibilities. Though now that I say that it seems better left for a DM quest event to get the components and destroy the powerful item.

Oh, come on, it was only a Ring of Invisibility, and even putting it on caused wraiths to attack you and you to become insanely addicted to it.

It was a ring of IMPROVED invisibility with unlimited uses per day. Thats actually pretty powerful. Be that as it may that was only its most obvious benefit. Since it was first and foremost a ring of domination I suspect some of the buffs it gave in the background were stat bonuses to INT WIS and CHA as well as things like Intimidate, bluff, and diplomacy. (yes...Im enough of a Tolken dork to get into debates over what level Gandalf really is, etc.,)

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:17 PM »

I believe an artifact as powerful as "The One Ring" is vastly overpowered to the Ravenloft setting.  ;)  Still. having some certain evil items that require certain components in order for them to be destroyed could bring some interesting possibilities. Though now that I say that it seems better left for a DM quest event to get the components and destroy the powerful item.

It was a ring of IMPROVED invisibility with unlimited uses per day. Thats actually pretty powerful. Be that as it may that was only its most obvious benefit. Since it was first and foremost a ring of domination I suspect some of the buffs it gave in the background were stat bonuses to INT WIS and CHA as well as things like Intimidate, bluff, and diplomacy. (yes...Im enough of a Tolken dork to get into debates over what level Gandalf really is, etc.,)

Tell me: The balrog has wings?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »
I like this idea, only if a cleric/wizard/sorcerer/Druid could do it if they where over say, level 15? Oh and requires three people! To make it a fancy group event and look cooler.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 03:53:48 PM »
I can see strong melee types simply breaking things like staves, rods and wands over their knees. Of course, releasing magic like that is kind of a bad idea.

dark_majico

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 04:00:58 PM »
I can see strong melee types simply breaking things like staves, rods and wands over their knees. Of course, releasing magic like that is kind of a bad idea.

Magic, beaten by mere thugery? How dare you suggest such things. May Halaster have his way with you!

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 04:02:36 PM »
To destroy an Evil/Good item i think it should go as followed:

Three devine chars stands each in one ring with the items on an pedistal in the middel,
the chars each chants a few words of the church and  while the process goes on some
magic splashes should be shown at the pedistal. while after the chars have used their
power to destory or break the item. defined on the item on the pedistal an xp amount
should be calculated that then would be devided between the chars and removed.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Now that almost every item seems to be made of a material property (which could correlate to a hardness DC), we could probably code in a system for strong types to bash the items directly. It's not any different really from bashing open a chest or a gate/door. But anything made from adamantine or diamond is gonna be a bear to break this way.

Edit: Sometimes simple is best when it comes to a complicated problem.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp4LFuFCon0[/youtube]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 04:19:07 PM by ethinos »

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 06:36:12 PM »
If its determined that outright destroying things is a stretch, then perhaps the benign faiths of the core could maintain lock boxes or safe rooms where such items are guarded against being used.

In some ways I think that outcome would produce better storytelling.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »

The one in the movie did. Since the few direct references fo Balrogs in the literature is in reference to them going over a clif with someone (Gandalf, Glorfindal,) I would say no, but I honestly cant remember if Tolken ever said or not.

Aahz

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 12:07:47 AM »

The one in the movie did. Since the few direct references fo Balrogs in the literature is in reference to them going over a clif with someone (Gandalf, Glorfindal,) I would say no, but I honestly cant remember if Tolken ever said or not.

From the Tolkien Gateway websight
There is some debate over whether Balrogs in general, and in particular, the Balrog of Moria, were winged creatures capable of flight. This perhaps stems from somewhat ambiguous descriptions in text. The first time the Balrog's 'wings' are mentioned in the encounter at the Bridge of Khazad-dûm, the word is clearly used in a figurative sense: "His enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings". Later in the encounter, however, the creature's wings seem to be physical: "It stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall...".

So they can be seen as literal wings and figurative wings interchangeably, thus adding to the confusion. The Silmarillion mentions many balrogs but never talks about any of them flying.