Author Topic: Cat Familiars  (Read 1740 times)

Axra

• Undead Master
Cat Familiars
« on: May 18, 2011, 03:12:19 PM »
I chose a cat as the familiar for RP purpose, hes from Vallaki and before he knew his cat was a familiar, it would just come and go as it pleased because everyone else (including Bela at the time) thought it was just a cat, and paid no mind to it.  Thats not the case though, guarda etc very much notice it being a familiar and attack it onsight.  Unless they saw it being summoned or unsummoned....I dont know how this would work.  There are several cats around barovia and guarda dont spend their time hunting them lol. Can it be changed so that cats dont generate any ocr? I think it would be fair because it would compensate for their weakness as a familiar also. (Since most people choose familiars based on power)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Cat Familiars
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
I am pretty sure that guards disregard common, non-threatening familiars and animal companions, unless something changed. Maybe if you had the midnight cat or something classified as a magical beast/outsider, that might be different.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
I thought about that too but the i think the ordinary cat is also a magical beast no?  And midnight cat is described as nothing more really than a black cat i think... They dont glow or radiate power or have red eyes or anthing un-ordinary looking

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 04:17:31 PM »
Familiars are treated as magical beasts I do believe, but I meant the original, base creature. If you have a house cat familiar, I don't think the guards should attack. But a midnight cat is more than just a black cat.

Midnight cats appear as inky black cats with luminous, yellow-green eyes. Regardless of the weather, their misty breath is always visible. They are both highly prized and feared for their power over curses.

Familiars and animal companions have their own OCR system, and that probably decides whether the garda go on a killing spree or not.

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
Ah the misty breath.  But would the guarda know enough about these anomalies to be able to recognize a cat with misty breath being "ooh evil magic! lets kill it!" since for the most part, native barovians are farely ignorant about magic yeah?

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:41 PM »
Ignorant of magic, and homicidal towards the supernatural. When a group of people consider almost everything to be cursed, evil, or bad luck, I would think they would be good at spotting such.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »
Ah the misty breath.  But would the guarda know enough about these anomalies to be able to recognize a cat with misty breath being "ooh evil magic! lets kill it!" since for the most part, native barovians are farely ignorant about magic yeah?

Scared more than ignorant.

If a cat that always breathed mist came next to me I'd definitely be freaked out, and were I a barovian, I'd probably promptly club it to death before it eats me. :P

On the other hand, half in the time everywhere in Barovia is a bit misty, and why would a guard even pay attention to something that at a first glance looks like an ordinary cat..

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 04:48:29 PM »
On the other hand, half in the time everywhere in Barovia is a bit misty, and why would a guard even pay attention to something that at a first glance looks like an ordinary cat..

Yeah thats pretty much what i was getting at.  If the cat was moving, would they even notice the misty breath in the mist?  Unless a guard was bored enough to prompt him to stare at a midnight cat long enough to notice any oddeties, he would probably just dismiss it as another cat.  Being intelligent as they are, i doubt a midnight cat would stick around long enough to find out lol

CuddleGutz

• Developer
  • Undead Master
  • You met me at a very strange time in my life.
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
Radu killed my kittie!... No, but seriously. Guards attack my house cat familiar. And I'm pretty sure he's never cast a spell. ;)

Linah Noelle - half-elf forest-guardian
Nadezhda Popovici - anchorite of Ezra's Second Revelation
Teresa Riegler - Investigator of the bizarre and arcane

Axra

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »
Its no wonder cats stick to the slums in Vallaki! lol