You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Help for newbs  (Read 3396 times)

twistedkarma

• New to the Mists
Help for newbs
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
Hi. hmm I'm noticing I'm dieing every 5 seconds from just getting hit once.   Any ideas?  Perhaps better starting armor.  Or a bunch of starting potions or something?

makes it really hard to enjoy the sever when you spend all your time waiting to die, then losing your equipment.

Just keep getting mobbed every time I walk into a crypt. Watched my self and a random player die just out of no where with no time to react.

So my question is what am I doing wrong? I don't have money for a better suit of armor and get hit all the time.

Valerio Umberto

Re: Help for newbs
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 09:14:20 AM »
I had the same problem when I started here. Unless you can assemble a party of like minded new players your best solution is to spend your first few levels hunting mink pelt for the Vistani, gathering herbs to sell to local herbalists (like teh Red Vardo Traders!) or running deliveries from the Vallaki warehouses. Also, remember, RP earns XP as well.

I think any and all players can agree that the first few levels on this server are difficult but well worth the reward. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a tell IG, my character name is Vasco Silivasi.

Miuo

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:47 AM »
Twisted if you are having trouble, you can always message me Miuo Nevai and we can arrange some RP outing, with something easy and low risk to get you started and on you're way :D

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »
I hate to say it, but I usually spend levels 2-4 almost exclusively using some kind of missile weapon. Unless you are fighting the weakest skeletons, melee is pretty dangerous. Don't be afraid to run and shoot too, especially when fighting slow things like zombies. The safest fight is one where you don't need to stand toe-to-toe with the enemy.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

twistedkarma

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
I'ts really really bad when you die, 2 by lag and one hits from rats, while waiting for nighttime to end, then you lose all your experiance you spent hours collecting just to get your gold and items back from a lag death.

I don't know the sever should not be insta death from rats.

:(  I just waisted a whole day and now I'm exactly where I started again with no sword, and no gold.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
Rats are no joke. I wouldn't go down in the sewers at level 2 (especially since wererats are more common down there). Rats can literally overwhelm a lower level, especially with dire rats helping. Normal rats only do 1 hit point of damage. Dire rats are more deadly, but I think they are supposed to be the size of a small dog. Also, I do believe that being in a group, they get certain combat advantages. Weapons are easy to scrounge up from the rusted stuff in the Morninglord Church crypt.

Edit: Don't forget that you can run deliveries during the daytime. These can be no risk, easy money for non-outcasts. A delivery from from the Fishing Lodge to the warehouse in Vallaki is good for a couple hundred fangs plus XP. You don't have to kill things to earn money to equip yourself. Talk to Constantin at the Lodge, or the fellow in the trading house in Vallaki to start off.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:38:14 PM by ethinos »

twistedkarma

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
my overall review of the sever is that, its really needlessly hard for level 2 characters.  And If I complain, it's considered an insult. 

No Just frustrated with a fact of dieing from a glitch, and having a DM Condescend to me.

I Like the rp. But hate being treated like crap when you ask for help..   

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »
Check my edit above for some helpful guidance on earning some money for proper equipment. Our server is flat-out hard for everyone but yeah, level 2's have it worse.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 02:43:18 PM »
There is quite simply no place safe for level 2 characters. The catacombs beneath the sanctuary are the closest to being doobale but the Ju-Ju Zombies skulk along the corridors and you likely not see them.

The good news is that you do not have to risk a dungeon at all. The xp gain from mink, lakeside deer and roleplay will get you well pass the lower levels.
I also highly recommend taking the job of courier.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
I agree with Emomina. With my newest character i got from 2 to 3 doing deliveries to and from Krofburg as often as possible. It can get monotonous but if you take someone with you then you have a chance for sone awesome and fun role play! Dont give up!  :D

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »
My dwarf has over 50,000 fangs and still does deliveries if he can squeeze one into a trip. Easy money, easy xp.

twistedkarma

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 08:50:06 PM »
Nah I'm really sorry, the sever rocks just been really really easily irritated, been in and out of the hospital.

Not the mental hospital just on the edge of snapping from stress.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 01:57:34 AM »
I usually try to avoid dungeoning altogether (crazed loner that I am) :)
There are so many ways to level on the server that don't involve hitting things with lumps of metal.
Factions are always on the lookout for new members and I've taken several chars to level 10 without killing anything at all.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 03:13:22 AM »
Hunting minks is fairly relaxing. Just kill absolutely every animal you come across. Just be careful of large snakes and giant beetles. You could ask the Vardo merchant Tyln if she's still buying hides and set something up with her, I'm fairly sure she still can use regular animal hides. We can often be found in the Red Vardo services building in the Market district.

What class do you play?

Badelaire

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
At low level deliveries by day and RP by night can really help with those levels. You can get to 8 without ever stepping in a dungeon and the work helps pay for better equipment in order to do them.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 09:19:21 AM »
I have several characters.  Every one of them hunted mink and performed deliveries until level 5 or 6.  Only time they went dungeoneering was when they tagged along with others.  Well...not quite true...by the third character or so I had figured out how to do the first level of the crypt pretty much solo, but that hardly counts.

On the bright side, on delivery of the mail to the lodge, hunting mink and herbs on the way and ranging a bit east of the lodge for the same purposes, would net me at time 800+ fang (depending on the herbage).  With the Vardo around and occasional charity in the temple or what have you, by level 5 or 6, I had VERY well equipped characters.   :lol:  Plus money in the bank.

The server isn't HARD at level 2-5 or so...its just monotonous.  Spend all day hunting mink and herbing, then RP at night in the outskirts.  It takes some time to become useful, but its a GREAT way to RP, make friends (and enemies), get involved with other players, etc.

And the sewers?  Ugly death.  To this day, after the numerous bad experiences there, none of my characters go back alone.   :P

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
Hunting minks is fairly relaxing. Just kill absolutely every animal you come across. Just be careful of large snakes and giant beetles.

And any boars you might see in the forest ....dont even go near them

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
if you see bears, be elsewhere!

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
If it eats meat. You should probably run. Just saying.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
I agree with the other loners, you can get far without dungeons. I dungeon now and then but not often. Just exploring around, smacking the mink here and there works decently too!  :)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »
Agreed. Soloing is the way to go. Odds are good that the bigger the party the greater the chance that at least one of them is named Leroy Jenkins. Word of advise. If your going to solo make a magic user or a cleric. Non-spellcasters are kinda hapless on this server unless they have alot of gold.

ethinos

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2011, 04:11:10 PM »
I don't think anyone here is promoting soloing. We are trying to provide methods of earning money and equipment without even hitting a dungeon. Soloing is boring, and if you do fall in a dungeon, good luck getting rezzed.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »
I don't think anyone here is promoting soloing. We are trying to provide methods of earning money and equipment without even hitting a dungeon. Soloing is boring, and if you do fall in a dungeon, good luck getting rezzed.

I know i was just having a bit of fun, but "good luck getting rezzed in a dungeon solo" is exactly why soloing ISNT boring.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 10:21:26 PM by respawnaholic »

twistedkarma

• New to the Mists
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
and being with a party seems to be useless because there are no people of near the same level.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 10:14:39 AM »
and being with a party seems to be useless because there are no people of near the same level.

Amongst certain levels thats true. Right now Ravenloft seems to have a relative shortage of low-teen level characters.