Author Topic: Crafting customization - an element of fun removed from the game  (Read 12983 times)

Miuo

Re: Crafting customization - an element of fun removed from the game
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »
[Hates fatigue with a passion] Lawls, though in a way i kinda agree with it. Though at other times i wish smash several things and kick puppies when i get Fatigued in the middle of a fight and we spend the next while missing each other till my enchantments wear off and i have to flee XD

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »
The only cheese on the server that routinely gets to me are the fatigue rules. THOSE I can do without.

Oh don't get me started!  :lol:
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
Time to completely piss off the most 'hardcore' player in this thread, just cause.

The Inverse Law of Protection.

The less you wear, the more protected you are.

Chainmail bikinis.

:whatsthis:

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
We're kind of off-topic.

Original point was craft-restricted items.

Ironically, most craft-restricted items aren't the ones that cause most grief, and in fact, most are nearly joke items (namely, the Street Fighter set).

I agree that dressplate is daft and cheesing, but the solution would be extensive and personal.

At the moment, I just think we shouldn't have every wizard identifiable by his standard-issue Justaucorps, and every monk look like Ryu / Ken / Chun-Li / Etc.

Get rid of the current restrictions, then maybe look at special rules for heavy armour.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:33 AM »
Time to completely piss off the most 'hardcore' player in this thread, just cause.

The Inverse Law of Protection.

The less you wear, the more protected you are.

Chainmail bikinis.

:whatsthis:
No, completely wrong... the less you wear, the more invisible you become.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0025.html
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

suǝʇʇıɯ

• Undead Slayer
  • Illusionist
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 12:02:36 PM »
Ethinos, no. Just no. No, no no NO NO!

If I want to have my fighter parade around in an altered set of full plate to look like a pink tutu then I should! It's not fair I tells ya!

:talktohand:

Ok, to bring it slightly back on topic, and to prevent some of the problem the OP came across, but if an item is to be non-customizable, is there some way we can put that in the description? Would be nice to know before spending your money or making a trade if a robe, armor, clothes, etc. was "locked" from being customized.

HA! This was half my point since i had dropped what coin i had on a foppish looking diaper for my monk to parade around in. I just think that when you get used to something it should be left that way, and i believe the same for the server, and the element of customization. Things are becoming a bit /to/ limited which has me thinking maybe it's time to go to NWN II.

WildPirate13

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:08:54 PM by Badelaire »

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »
I have a feeling that all of these garbs and whatnot were made uncraftable just for them to keep their "easter egg" appeareance...
 Well thats not worth it. Street fighter theme doesnt fit in Ravenloft. Its especially out of place somewhere in the mountains during the winter.

Why for example Falkovnian Talon full plate could be crafted or Armour of the Crown?

Also you cannot make a bikini from full plate. At least torso variants are metal only. What I cant understand is why not to limit monk garbs to cloths variants only instead of no craft, also why Rogue garb for example could be crafted....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 01:00:43 PM by Springer »
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
Also you cannot make a bikini from full plate. At least torso variants are metal only. What I cant understand is why not to limit monk garbs to cloths variants only instead of no craft, also why Rogue garb for example could be crafted....

Nah, but you can replace the torso component or cover it entirely with a lot of robes, many of which look like simple leather coats and shirts, or low-cropped silk dresses and suchlike.

(Cleavage: +8 distraction bonus to AC)

Miuo

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
XD! Lawls

Deathpenalty

• Undead Slayer
  • Us liking yous!
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2011, 12:40:06 AM »
Just a thought. How would a +1 Full Armor differ from a +3 Full Armor? More pieces of armor?

The NWN engine just isn't suited for all realism needs. If there were actual equip-able greaves, gauntlets, boots and the like - this wouldn't be an issue as it could've been individually equipped. On a side-note. Have you seen how gladiators fought, having only plated armor at the chest and having clothing/leather with maybe some chain mail for arrow protection on their limbs?

It's more or less about fighting then it has to do with appearances. I am however for that a piece of cloth shouldn't look like plated armor. I could also argue that maybe some wizards, monks prefer having plated shins? You know what damage you could do with plated boots as a monk? :)

My character Vincent came across this Gi wear, a monks clothing. I couldn't alter it in any way, except the feet and arms. I was happy with a +1 armor to find out they had these hideous uncraftable lower pants that look like something MC Hammer would wear. Talking about Hammer Time. :P So I did the next best thing I could do - ROBE-IFY!

It's safe to say that people should trust each other a bit more to realistically, if not a tad bit unconventionally depict their characters. If their fighting style fits the outfit - I'm happy.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2011, 12:58:53 AM »
Just a thought. How would a +1 Full Armor differ from a +3 Full Armor? More pieces of armor?

+1 and +3 Armor typically indicates either a higher quality of material, or higher magical enchantment. It has nothing to do with the amount of armor worn.

The NWN engine just isn't suited for all realism needs. If there were actual equip-able greaves, gauntlets, boots and the like - this wouldn't be an issue as it could've been individually equipped. On a side-note. Have you seen how gladiators fought, having only plated armor at the chest and having clothing/leather with maybe some chain mail for arrow protection on their limbs?

D&D 2nd edition actually has rules for what's called 'piecemeal armor', where you can wear bits of one, and bits of another, whether you were scavenging armor or customizing your appearance. It was in the Fighter's Handbook if I remember correctly.

It's more or less about fighting then it has to do with appearances.

That would be true in a roleplaying environment that was completely PvM, or on an action server. But we are neither. With the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get aspect of our server, a woman wearing full plate, but appearing to be in a dress can cause immersion issues and PvP advantages.

I am however for that a piece of cloth shouldn't look like plated armor. I could also argue that maybe some wizards, monks prefer having plated shins? You know what damage you could do with plated boots as a monk? :)

Wizards can conceivably wear metal items, but the point of the armor restriction was that such objects tended to hinder his ability to properly cast magic with somantic components. Plated shins probably wouldn't do overly much, but it also doesn't really protect a person in a significant factor. As for monks, I've always thought they'd be more suited for barefoot fighting or moccasins. Heavy boots certainly don't allow for a lot of dexterity or deftness!
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2011, 01:19:23 AM »
The topic was brought up on the feedback portion under wilderness feature. Some of the other members add movies to the thread. I think it would be interesting to talk about Arms and Armor. What it meant for people back in the period where are character would be from.
Remember we aren't just playing a game, but trying to emulate a point in history with a fantasy twists. So, it is good to keep in mind actual historical facts about things. I would like to touch on Arms and Armor.

Here are some quotes from that thread.
interesting experiment using replica armor and running on treadmills

http://io9.com/secret-history/

more things with armor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcJHKJc5M28&feature=related

This is one of the reasons I posted this. I did it mostly for smiths for follow throw in recreating the image on the times. In my sense plate armor should look like plate armor and a cloth jerkin. Unless the person has access to an illusionary spell like alter person. Armor should be customize with in reason. Like an oak shield shouldn't look like a magical field. Chitlin should look like bug parts. You should check out the arms and armors thread I posted under roleplaying.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 02:34:43 AM »
That would be true in a roleplaying environment that was completely PvM, or on an action server. But we are neither. With the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get aspect of our server, a woman wearing full plate, but appearing to be in a dress can cause immersion issues and PvP advantages.
LOL, I don't think I have ever actually tried to guess what kind of armor another character is wearing, nor does it give any PvP advantage or even tell you anything at all.  You can have the maximum armor class in half-plate, banded mail, chain mail, chain shirt and rarely even in leather. Trying to use it as a PvP tool is not nearly enough  useful or telling to consider it anything more than a random guess of luck.   Its just one part of a two part equation.  So I am supposing these people that do guess work on what type of armor is being worn then use the examine tool and try to glean yet more information from the 'examine' tool and see how well they "move about spryly" and then add them up to determine "yes, he is hard to hit" or "nope, he is easy prey".

Its mostly moot, you can make leather or steel look exactly alike. There are at least 50 robe options that are tabards or the like. You will never know. I agree a cloth shirt should not look like plate mail or vice versa, but its not a big deal either way. The so called disadvantage can still be had using over fifty different robe combinations.

It is fascinating to see inside the head of how other players play though, such a different style and perspective. Have fun with the guesswork, never thought about it.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2011, 03:34:01 AM »
Simple solution: Assume everyone is in plate. EVERYONE. So you can expect the worst no matter what.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »
This again? Really? :roll:

There aren't that many items that have restrictions, and even those that have them allow you some customization. You can't change the robe part of the Justaucorps but you can change the other parts. The special monk outfits can have robes added and can be dyed, along with certain sections like feet and hands craftable. There's maybe 10-15 items tops that are like this, all magic items, and it's not done for "realism" so much as it is to keep the key parts of the item's flavor intact.

Also, as ethinos said, the customization system is a little too flexible on some things. I've seen people craft torches into babies or umbrellas, for example, which is flat-out silly.

And the stuff based on Street Fighter? Deal with it. Nobody gave a damn about them being based on that game until I specifically revealed that on the forums.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Anon123

• New to the Mists
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 01:00:53 AM »
I definately vote in favor of the honor system rather than banning it.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
This again? Really? :roll:

Hmph! You said the justaucorps wouldn't be able to have the robe edited because robes can be turned into hats, you said how silly that is, I'll show you!
[edits the justaucorps to have a fish tail and cat legs]

(not really. This is in jest.)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2011, 11:36:19 PM »
Simple solution: Assume everyone is in plate. EVERYONE. So you can expect the worst no matter what.

+1. I thought everyone did that.

Artimus

• New to the Mists
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 04:21:47 AM »
Put me firmly in the "yeah, its not realistic..... so what?" I could not care less if armor/clothing appearance has anything to do with what the items is. For me its all about customizing the look of your character. I believe that  visual customization of a character does far more to enhance immersion and RP than armor/clothing "realism".... and is its simply more fun to have more options.

+1