Author Topic: A collection of memories by Meliora Angeltheow  (Read 1261 times)

ForestDreamer

• New to the Mists
A collection of memories by Meliora Angeltheow
« on: July 10, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
A promise made.......

A little girl of the age of five with auburn hair and bright green eyes dances about laughing merrily.  Her childhood friend, a boy of six, with dark hair and eyes to match her own looks back at her with a grin. 
'I am a big bad wolf and I am coming to get you' declares the boy.
The little girl pokes her tongue out before she skips off a little.
'Catch me if you can then' she calls out before running off squealing as children do.
Finally the little boy caught hold of her and just held her tightly.  When he let go he leaned in and planted a small kiss upon her lips.
'What was that for?' she asked.
'One day I am going to marry you... and we're going to live in a big house... with a big garden' he declares with a grin.
'Will we live happy ever after... like the stories?' she asks as she twists from side to side.
'Uh huh! Like the stories' he grins.
'Promise?' she asks again grinning back in return.
'I promise' he responds puffing out his chest. The two children giggle before they run off once more.

I remember the feeling of pain that ran through my chest as my heart broke.  I could barely breathe as everything I had built in my mind all because of a childhood promise had crumbled in a few words. It took some time before Aeronwyn's words sank in and all I could do was just stare at her in shock as the blood drained from my face.
"I am sorry Meliora. Aderyn.. He had to leave and he must find a bride before his return.  He will always love you but... you know the ways of our people"
Her words were soft. She had been my best friend since I was a little girl, the sister of Aderyn.  She tried to break it to me as gently as she could but the words "I am sorry" seemed so hollow in that moment.  There was nothing that could change the situation and I felt like I just wanted to die. Despair gripped at my heart and I wished to the gods that we could be far away in a land where we did not have to live by the restrains of our people and culture.
We had both heard rumours of a boys coming of age but Aderyn and I had always believed we were different from the others denying that we would ever be parted.
It was like a dream... a nightmare that neither of us could escape and I felt the noose and gravity of my life closing in on me.
I remember when Aderyn came home. Aeronwyn was so excited but she clung to my hand in comfort keeping me at a distance from him. He married Eslwyn, a girl I had met only a few times when her family came to town to restock on supplies.  It was strange to see them. She was excited as any new bride would be and everyone gathered around them. Aderyn stood there, strong in his posture as I had always seen him but his head was tilted towards the ground with an empty smile.  I did not have the strength to approach them and offer my congratulations as everyone else did.  The other boys patted Aderyn on the back for his bravery and the girls gathered as they do giggling and laughing around Eslwyn.  Aeronwyn just stayed by my side regardless of her excitement to see her brother.
Aderyn looked over, caught my attention just staring at me as if he was taking in every detail of my features and I knew he felt the pain that welled inside me.  If I could have ran to him I would have but instead I turned letting go of Aeronwyn's hand and I ran as far as I could. I then cried until no more tears could fall.

ForestDreamer

• New to the Mists
Re: A collection of memories by Meliora Angeltheow
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:36:04 AM »
It is strange how life changes. Aeronwyn visited regularly but I would not go and see Aderyn.  Every time we past in the street there was an awkwardness. Our eyes would meet and linger with a brief exchange like a calling to each other but we would turn away continuing on our path.  Eslwyn clung to him and would just watch me with perhaps a look of sympathy in her eyes like she understood what passed between us. She always smiled politely and acknowledge me with a dip of her head. I could tell she was a nice girl and a good wife for Aderyn so I could at least be thankful for that but it just didn't feel right in my heart.  She never paraded him or caused any more awkwardness between us and actually made many attempts to get to know me but I found it difficult to give her the same in return.
It was not long after my fourteenth birthday when Eomann came to me after his long walk into the forest and he asked me to be his wife.  He lived on one of the smaller homesteads outside of Fylfot and I had seen him come into town often.  He always went out of his way to greet me on his visits, more so after Aderyn was married and when I accepted his hand he told me he was the happiest man in the entire world  His charm and good nature made it an easy distraction from Aderyn and after we were married I left with him to stay at his homestead.  He said to me that evening "I know I am not Aderyn but I will do everything I can to make you happy and give you a beautiful life". He was so respectful that he spent many nights sleeping alone until the day I would invite him into my bed regardless of the expectations of our families.
Finally over time I was able to accept Eomann and I tried to be the dutiful wife he deserved but my life felt like one big charade.  As much as I tried to push Aderyn's face from my mind it was etched there.
One day Eomann came home from the city and his expression was sad. He took a hold of my hands with his head lowered towards the ground and he told me Eslwyn had been killed.  I knew it was their one year anniversary.  Eomann could not look me in the eyes as his soft words said "If you want to see him then you have my permission".  I embraced my husband and in the morning I went to the city.  It had been a week since Eslwyn's death and I had a feeling I knew where Aderyn would be.
I found him sitting at the base of a tree we used to play at. His head was lowered with his body slumped over a little and in his hand he twirled a wild flower.  He did not even look up at my approach and my heart sank for him.  I sat down beside him without a word leaning into him so our arms would touch but out of respect I did not embrace him even though I wanted to with all my heart.  He could not say anything and I could not find any words appropriate but I could tell that he just understood what I felt.  My presence lifted his spirits a little.  I finally just leant my head upon his shoulder and he stretched out his hand touching my leg very slightly.  His little pinky finger wrapped around mine and we sat there in silence until I had to leave to head back to the homestead.  Before I left I finally just wrapped my arms around
him and held him and it took all the will I could muster to draw my arms from him.  I left and returned to Eomann.
It was still strange going into town when we did. As always the awkwardness passed between us.  Aderyn would watch me but then just seem to stiffen with a slight frown on his face when he looked at Eomann and like I was with Eslwyn he would be civil then wander on with his hands in his pockets tilting his head towards the ground once more.
I woke one morning just before my sixteenth birthday to Eomann who was just staring at me with a pale expression on his face. Sweat dripped from his body and he immediately embraced me and just held me in his arms. His words sent chills through my spine.
"If I ever have to tell you to run... I want you to run and not look back.... run and find Aderyn.  He will look after you"
"You are scaring me, Eomann" I held him close and he clung tightly to me.
"Promise me?" he insisted.
"Yes.. I promise" He sighed with relief and finally let me go. 
That day he remained unusually close to me never letting me leave his sight.  Later that day just before dusk a spine chilling scream was heard and people ran about frantically.
"The wolves!" someone cried.
Eomann immediately ran to me taking me by the hand with terror in his eyes and the thick scent of fear filled the air and I knew the wolves were closing in on all of us.  People ran inside their homes as quickly as they could barring the doors shut but Eomann and I were a little further from ours and between us and our home stood a wolf.  It had not seen us yet and it lifted it's head seeming to draw in the scents around it.  Eomann's grip was tight on my hand. We both looked around and we saw it at the same time. A shed.  There would be something in there for us to use.  We both moved as slowly as we could to not alert the wolf and in the distance we could hear more shrieks and cries from people we knew were dying.
Every hair on my body was stood on it's end with our senses sharpened and we knew this could be our last night.  We finally made it to the shed creeping slowly as the night moved upon us.  Eomann closed the door as slowly and as carefully as he could while I looked around for anything at all that we could use. Eomann, at least, always carried an axe anytime he left the house. I saw another axe amongst other farming tools and reached up slowly for it. We knew any slight sound could set them on to us.  I tried as hard as I could to calm myself but my heart kept pounding.  For a brief moment I wished Aderyn was with me and it filled me with terror that I might not ever see him again and I prayed for him.  We moved slowly towards the back of the shed knowing there would be another door there and I opened the door ever so slightly to peer out through it letting my eyes adjust to the natural light.  It was a full moon and it cast it's light upon the earth. I could hear the sounds of thudding against doors then sounds of breaking and I knew the wolves had no intention to leave until they had taken us all.  My heart raced. We could not go back to our home.  It would hold no more safety than the forest or where we were and with the wolves close by it was only a matter of time before they would find us.  I prayed again for Aderyn wishing he would find us.  It was still. I could see no movement. The wolves were more intent on other places as they continued breaking doors and terrorising the people inside. I looked for the darkest path I could see to conceal us. At least in the forest there would be more places to hide.  I looked at Eomann and I knew he had the same thoughts that I did so very slowly we moved creeping as carefully as we could in the shadows.  I would not let fear take me. Not now.
We made it to the forest edge and so far none of the wolves had turned towards us.  We moved as carefully and as silently as we could using skills of survival taught to every Verbreker during their younger years. We managed to slip deeper into the forest and for a moment I thought we had managed to escape the terror but we were not so lucky.  We noticed yellow eyes in the forest ahead and we froze hiding behind the trunk of a large tree crouching low with hope that the foliage surrounding the base of it would be enough to keep us concealed.  My heart kept pounding and the hairs on my body continued to stand up. Eomann took my hand squeezing it tightly to comfort me and lifted his finger to his lips to signal silence before he gestured with a finger to his right that something was close.  I could then hear the sounds of a deep gutteral growl and then there was movement seeming to head away from us.  The sounds of it travelled further and further away.  After we were certain it had gone Eomann lifted his hands to caress my face and kissed my lips with an intensity then took my hand with the intention to lead me away. It was then that I felt the blow of something strong and sharp rip into my back and Eomann lept without hesitation at the wolf that had struck me.
"Run Meliora! Run!"
His words blurred in my mind as I staggered forward mustering all the strength I could and I knew this was the moment he had spoke about earlier.
I didn't look back. I could just sense Eomann behind me fighting with everything he could against the wolf and I found my feet just moving as if something else compelled me forward.  I can't remember where I went or making any sounds. My senses were dulled and I seemed to just float through the darkness never looking back.  If the wolf was following I could not tell. It was like I had fallen into a dream.
I remember seeing Aderyn moving towards me. I had no idea where he had come from or if he was real.  His face was filled with a mix of emotions from terror to relief. His mouth moved saying words but I could not hear them. It was like an eerie silence had fallen upon me.  Arrows flew past me to something behind and I remember Aderyn taking a hold of me but then everything went dark and I drifted away.

ForestDreamer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:47:43 PM »
Eomann gave his life to hold off the wolf. The sting of that night remained a scar across my back and for the first time I felt as if there was someone watching over me.  I had never been one of faith. To be born into a world where it was only a matter of time before the wolves came for us gave us little reason to think beyond living another day.  Somehow Eomann knew what was going to happen and Aderyn found me in the forest barely alive.  When I finally woke he took me in his arms and just held me.  When the news of my husband's death sank in I just cried for over a few weeks unable to say anything to anyone and Aderyn stayed with me the whole time refusing to be taken from my side.  He held me close with an understanding never saying anything but just being there to support me.  During that time was my sixteenth birthday. Aderyn and I were already widows.  It did not seem like there was much to celebrate.  People looked at Aderyn and I as if we had committed some crime because of the amount of time we spent together.  I thought it would have been easier for people to accept what was between us considering we had both played our parts for the people by marrying others we did not love.  As widows I thought it would have been more accepted to spend time with each other and yet we faced their scorn.  We never did anything other than sit or walk and on the occasion Aderyn would hold me. There would always be eyes upon us and people shaking their heads as if we had done something wrong.  The whole time Aeronwyn refused to take a husband even though she had many opportunities to do so.  She was, perhaps, even more stubborn than us having seen what Aderyn and I had been through.  This caused even more tension around us.  Some even said that our foolishness would bring the wolves upon us all like we had created some bad omen.  I began to wish each day that we could escape Verbrek and soon enough my prayers were answered.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:49:56 PM by ForestDreamer »

ForestDreamer

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »
It has been some time since I have written in my journal. I can not be more thankful for my life. The conditions are challenging in Barovia but it feels like a heaven in comparison to what Aderyn and I had to endure in Verbrek. It almost seems like a distant memory and that perhaps that life did not happen to me. It defined us to what we are now and I am more determined to embrace the 'Woodcutters Axe' so that I can one day return to Verbrek with Aderyn and free our people from the oppression of the wolves.

I find it amusing that people seem to consider those from Verbrek as simple folk but they will always think what they want to.

I have never been one to hold much hope in faith but I do feel like we have been guided along a bigger path. In this.. We have embraced Ezra and hope that she can guide us.

Every day I wake with Aderyn by my side. Although I still dream of Verbrek and it chills me to the core, it is comforting to know that he is there and that this is not a dream that I will someday wake from.  Every day I see the strength in him and watch as he grows from that little boy I met and turns into the spirited and determined man he has become.

My strength is in you, Aderyn.