You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Improved two-weapon  (Read 2793 times)

Pocika

• New to the Mists
Improved two-weapon
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
My char is a ranger so he gets the dual wield feat (which includes 2weapon fight & ambidexterity). He would get the improved 2weapon fight at lvl 9.
I don't want him to be a ranger anymore, and also don't want to take these prequisites just for the improved feat. I wonder why I couldn't learn the impr.
2weapon fight before lvl 9 if I have all the prequisites in form of dual wield? At lvl 9 it's free, but I wish I could spend a feat for it now.
Think about it please, it would be good :)
Thanks.

Shadowthrone

Re: Improved two-weapon
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
Bioware made it so that you can't select the dual wielding feats whilst taking a ranger level because they get them for free.

Also I don't think the rangers dual wield ability counts for the prerequisites to improved two weapon fighting.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:23:24 AM »
Bioware made it so that you can't select the dual wielding feats whilst taking a ranger level because they get them for free.

Also I don't think the rangers dual wield ability counts for the prerequisites to improved two weapon fighting.

TO get the same bonus a regular character needs to take two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting , and ambidexterity. thats three feats vs zero. the main drawback is a ranger is limited to light armor.

Pocika

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
In thic case it's 'just' two free feat. Because actually I want to take up the Improved feat.
You are right about the light armor thing. My char always wears light armor so I didn't think about it. In this manner it would be too big advantage.
Anyway I think it's a big mistake that multiclass rangers cannot achieve Improved just if they reach lvl 9 of ranger. Even a wizard could achieve it.

So I come up with this: they could have take this feat (not for free) if their total class levels reaches 9 and if they are meet with the requirements (cause a lvl 9 ranger is not needed to be have a 15 dex or above to get it) And of course only in light armor.
Or it's overcomplicated? :)

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:49:50 AM »
Uhm.... Improved Two-weapon Fighting requires a +9 Base Attack Bonus as well, so you know. Hence why Rangers get it at level 9.  :)
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Pocika

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »
Not the level 9 is the problem.......

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
In thic case it's 'just' two free feat. Because actually I want to take up the Improved feat.
You are right about the light armor thing. My char always wears light armor so I didn't think about it. In this manner it would be too big advantage.
Anyway I think it's a big mistake that multiclass rangers cannot achieve Improved just if they reach lvl 9 of ranger. Even a wizard could achieve it.

So I come up with this: they could have take this feat (not for free) if their total class levels reaches 9 and if they are meet with the requirements (cause a lvl 9 ranger is not needed to be have a 15 dex or above to get it) And of course only in light armor.
Or it's overcomplicated? :)

I think the problem you have is thinking in terms of levels. If you have 9 total levels but have non-warrior levels, you won't meet the +9 AB requirement. To be able to select Improved Two Weapon Fighting as a general feat you need: two-weapon fighting, ambidexterity, base attack bonus +9, and you can't take it on a ranger level-up either since they get it free after getting nine levels in Ranger. You also will probably have to take two-weapon fighting and ambidexterity on non-ranger level-up's too.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Pocika

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:34 PM »
Uhm.... Improved Two-weapon Fighting requires a +9 Base Attack Bonus as well, so you know. Hence why Rangers get it at level 9.  :)

Oh, I see. Sorry I wrote wrong. After lvl 9, not before :D

Darkelf30420

• Outlander
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 08:34:35 PM »
No your duel weild does not count twards improved two weapon fighting. if you look closely when lvl-ing you'll see ambedexterity and two weapon fighter are always on your feat list, even if you have a lvl in ranger.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:56 PM »
No your duel weild does not count twards improved two weapon fighting. if you look closely when lvl-ing you'll see ambedexterity and two weapon fighter are always on your feat list, even if you have a lvl in ranger.

THis...its comparing apples to oranges. the net result is the same but the feat progression and skill/ class requirements are entirely different.

Darkelf30420

• Outlander
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
THis...its comparing apples to oranges. the net result is the same but the feat progression and skill/ class requirements are entirely different.

I agree.

I'm simply stating from PnP rule set.  "A ranger is treated as "if having"....as long as they wear light armor."   They never accually have said feats. There in lies the problem I think you are missing.

though...

A rogue that has evasion as a class skill/feat and if s/he multi-classes with another calss that offers the evasion skill/feat, s/he would get the improved version.

I do see your agruement.  If this was PnP as a DM I would offer it to you, as long as you met the improved two-weapon fighting prerequisits.