You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Feat: Extra Lay on Hands  (Read 2678 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Feat: Extra Lay on Hands
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »
Just curious how hard it would be to implement this feat? It'd be nice to be able to heal a team member AND myself after a big battle, and I noticed a few other PotM custom feats around.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Feat: Extra Lay on Hands
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:55:24 AM »
Likely very easy to implement and up to DnD, but I'm for a big no to it, because my little goon at level 16 might do 144 damage to an undead foe, meaning he can take most non-fighter undeads in a single strike (and the touch attack hits pretty much always. High BAB tends to beat dex AC..) or heal himself from badly wounded to full.

Having that ability more than once a day feels like a major overkill to me.

Badelaire

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
The problem is if you start tinkering around with the class traits of one particular class then people are going to want it for others as well. Monks would want extra wholness of body, Blackgaurds more spell like abilities, assassins more illusion spells a day and so on. The act of laying on hands should be almost exhaustive for a paladin to channel their diety's power into someone, not a trivial ability to pop a heal whenever and wherever.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 12:23:30 PM by Badelaire »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 12:40:55 PM »
fighters would want the entire power attack line and weapon focus line

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 01:01:17 PM »
fighters would want the entire power attack line and weapon focus line

We should get them regardless. :fighter:

As it is, I think we have other classes that could use some tinkering before we worry about things like this. :coughpalemastercough:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Darkelf30420

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
lvl x Cha mod = laying of hands

Plus first lvl healing at 1d8+lv {max is +5}

Pallys get spells at lvl 4 so heal light should be d8+4, and you get cure moderate too right for second lvl spells?

All in all Pallys should stop wasting spells slots for self buffs if they want to be healers.

My two cents

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »
 :rock:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7QYNgJwDwk[/youtube]

Badelaire

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 05:15:26 PM »
:rock:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7QYNgJwDwk[/youtube]

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:47:42 AM »
As it is, I think we have other classes that could use some tinkering before we worry about things like this. :coughpalemastercough:

Totally not quoting this as a push to make Pale Master more awesome. Not at all, nope siree, not me, nu-uh...  :allears:

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 03:00:12 AM »
I only asked about this because of some of the current feats such as Extra Music or Extra Turning...

But, though my question was unanswered, it seems the community is against it. That said, I think this topic can be locked.

Also, I support the Pale Master improvements as well.

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 06:37:09 AM »
Just my 0.2 On t his. In PnP a Paladin can heal X amount of HP a day, he's not forced to do it all in one go. Obviously that can't be replicated in NWN but it would be nice to perhaps have a look at a way to make LoH a little more flexible. I agree that doing it more then once a day would be a significant advantage, and while not "Game Breaking" it would certainly give high Charisma build Paladins a opportunity to exploit the system horribly.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 07:40:43 AM »
Just my 0.2 On t his. In PnP a Paladin can heal X amount of HP a day, he's not forced to do it all in one go. Obviously that can't be replicated in NWN but it would be nice to perhaps have a look at a way to make LoH a little more flexible.

I can think of quite few ways how that can be done in NWN. Whether it's worth the trouble, though, is different thing.

Being able to heal or damage 600 worth of hitpoints at level 20 3 times per day by touch attacks seems a bit over the top. A tiny wee bit. :P

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
I kinda like it how it is. On a high-level Paladin, with Heal having its usual 10hp/level nerf, Lay On Hands is the most powerful heal in the game. Even at mid level it's powerful.

It's the 'Oh, f***' button.

'Oh, f***, teammate is down...' zap them back to full health with your Lay On Hands!

'Oh, f***, big bad evil undead...' zap them to death with your Lay On Hands!

Fun part coming when one of your teammates gets killed BY a big bad evil undead. And you can't do both.