Author Topic: The +5 Varnishes  (Read 37668 times)

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
Re: The +5 Varnishes
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2011, 02:21:51 AM »
IMO +5 varnishes should stay if someone has enough of their free time to run around the server with some specific potions and target specific bosses to get the resources let them do it. They ll probably wont have time to do anything else or will play all day long. None of my characters had any +5 varsnishes whatsoever and I see no reason for their removal really.

Eh, for PvP purposes you get enough of them for weeks after some few hours. Less if you happen to be a rogue with shady tactics. :P

It's easy to not see the reason if you have none of them and do not rely on damage reduction buffs.

I see no problem with there being -one- item that can cut through the half-dozen protective wards mages can cast.
As far as i am aware there are no +5 vs [Alignment] weapons on the server and not everyone has the strength to carry around all the weapons required to do this even if they did.
A mage can kill other classes by picking from a plethora of spells at his disposal, (Mind spells vs fighters/Rogues. Fort spells vs Casters) the fact that people can have a chance to fight back without having to be friends with -another- high level caster balances the server well i think and means that mages have to think twice before throwing their levels around.
Just to crunch the numbers for you. A cleric/Mage can cap out at AC of 45-60. That is beyond most Fighter classes AB considering the magical weapons available on the server. Spells like Implosion, Missile Storm, Bigby's, EVT, Wail of the Banshee, Acid Sheath and Hold Monster Can win a fight for you before it even starts. I respect the right for Mages to be respected for their power, but that doesn't mean you should push the server down the route of the only way of defeating them being another mage.

No offense, but these arguments don't hold very well with anyone who has a solid clue of how PvP actually works. Non-polymorphed pure wizard likely has at most around 30 AC. Strong fighter or sneak attacking rogue hits over premonition and eats the whole reduction quickly. Those damage reductions are also vulnerable to spell breaches - any level 2 wizard, bard, sorcerer, or around level 10 rogue can remove a lot of essential buffs from a wizard with a simple, relatively cheap and often found scroll (lesser spell breach). On top of that, generalist wizard has least spells per day of any other 'pure' spell casting class, sucky AC and low HP.

If one goes without preparation against a buffed up wizard, it's his fault he dies. Dream catchers work against hold monster, for a sneaky rogue acid robes cut enough of the damage to kill the wizard with sneak attacks.

For pure wizards/sorcerers, damage reductions are pretty much the only protection there truly is. That, and shapechange, during which you can't cast, and which isn't exactly unbeatable.

Claiming that prior to +5 varnishes only way to defeat a buffed mage was by another mage is so horribly wrong. It's just false to no point. Granted that defeating a prepared mage requires some thinking, they are still very far from unbeatable. I'd rather like to see someone fight a multi-classed cleric. Then we're talking of an unfair fight - unless your mage friend is there to dispel.

Give a group of non casters a chance when they do not want go all the way OOC to find a caster or there is no high lvl caster on the server.

This is, again, off the point. The varnishes are not so common that most characters who have them would use them in a dungeon. Their primary function isn't dungeoning, but targeting a wizard or sorcerer for a quick take down. Therefore they do not serve the purpose of balancing PvM. Also, does +1 AB and Damage really make that much of a difference in a dungeon? (If we compare to +4 varnishes)

Quoted for truth

I hate to sound like some kind of elitist, but if you've never PVP'd on this server, or done so at mid to high level, I'd hope you would think before posting about how it works. My weapon master can crit for 170 + damage, and he's spent many encounters deterred only by the fact that he is losing -50 to damage reduction. Nevertheless, he's never failed to kill a mage. That was before +5 varnishes. I would be hestitant to even make use of them even while they are in, because i would feel like a cheap son of a gun killing a high level, fully buffed mage in one hit.

My mage on the other hand makes no use of DR, as he is an AC wizard/dual wielding spell fighter. These varnishes would knock him into the range of 30 AB and 45 to 50 AC, and if he was to dual wield sneak attack a mage, he would be landing somewhere around 30 damage a hit with 4 attacks per round. In all likelyhood he could kill any pure mage on the server before they stood up from being KD'd.

That isn't "balancing" anything. That is taking a pure wizard build like Delardious, who relies on high level DR spells, and making them completely defenseless. Add to that how easy it is to farm them and there's really no limit to how much carnage a player could cause.

Oh, and just for reference, a meleeer (no rogue/mage classes) can acquire improved invis, haste, mords, tensor, greater stoneskin, and various other potions in a short amount of time. They are not as easy to get as +5 varnishes. With all the tools the server has given him, he has absolutely no need for +5 varnishes, but they woud (again) just make even the idea of a pure mage pretty laughable in the context of a threat.

In fact, let me demonstrate how these things play out.

Player A has decided he wants to kill Mage B who is is fully prepared/has greater stoneskin or premo

Player A must decide if he is going to open the barrage with a disjoiner to dispell the mage or if he will just use varnishes to start KDing him. If player A uses the disjoiner, Mage B may have time to cast Timestop, and thus gain the upperhand for its duration. Luckily because he has varnishes this isn't really much of a choice. He can open up by KDing the mage, cutting through all of his DR, and killing him before he stands up and has a chance.

Battle is over.

This isn't complicated. DR is part of the classes defense. It no longer has a defense when +5 varnishes are put into the mix.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 02:34:49 AM by shadymerchant »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2011, 02:51:28 AM »
Oh, and just for reference, a meleeer (no rogue/mage classes) can acquire improved invis, haste, mords, tensor, greater stoneskin, and various other potions in a short amount of time.

Honestly, with the powerful additions of alchemy, and herbalism, I am not sure we can even properly call ourselves a "low magic" server. We are more of a "mid", somewhere between low/high. And with the caster nerfs that we've had, to promote partying and the low magic atmosphere, I think the "balance" is pretty funky right now for nonclerical caster-centric classes. Clerics can always fall back on the benefit of wearing armor and equipping shields/weapons when their buffs are neutralized. Mages/sorcerors don't have that safety net. A wizard without spell defenses is just a sitting duck.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2011, 02:54:48 AM »
moving the hag hearts to +3, and implementing Malthor and Prisoner keeper somethings for the +5 would pretty much remove the issue of +5s

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2011, 02:57:46 AM »
moving the hag hearts to +3, and implementing Malthor and Prisoner keeper somethings for the +5 would pretty much remove the issue of +5s

They'd still be used when guaranteed win matters the most.

But then, for these rare cases, caster might do well to have a good listener/spotter and a buffed fighter with him.

I'd rather be without +5 (even the +3 are a little there and there to me) but your suggestion would of course be one type of a compromise.

EDIT: A remaining problem would be that there are already enough of G. Varnishes in circulation that they'll be high-level PvP tool for at least a year more.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:10:11 AM by tzaeru »

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2011, 04:04:36 AM »
I don't know.  I'm just glad there's a chance for a melee to overtake a mage in premonition and acid sheath.  It wasn't possible before, particularly for the undead spellcasters out there, where one can't even rely on sneak attacks or critical hits to beat the damage reduction.

That was the main strategy before.  Stand in premonition and acid sheath, talk about how good you are, cast disabling spells on fighter, etc.

And saying a fighter has too many buffs at his disposal (when referring to fighting mages) is misleading.  Most of the spells we're talking about are potions from the herbalism craft, and most of these spells are caster level 3.  Some are a little higher, maybe around level 7 for improved invisibility, but this basically means they will not ever pass a dispel check against a cast of Mordenkainen's Disjunction.  So much for all those buffs.

What we're seeing is that the comfort of a mage has been disrupted in one particular scenario: unsupported (no spellcaster friend nearby) melee vs mage.  So now maybe the mage needs to be the one with backup in order to survive the encounter, instead of the melee?  I don't know.  It doesn't seem unfair to me, it just seems different.  Before +5 varnishes, I would never try to take on a high level mage by myself on my fighter.  I would refuse to engage in any confrontation because I knew I would lose.

I think there's something good going on when no character ever feels safe.

I should also point out that non-suicidal fighters in most situations will bide their time and wait for the right opportunity.  I think too many of our spellcasters got comfortable with being in control in any situation where they had the time to cast two spells - Premo/Visage and Acid Sheath.  Now wizards (the ones who should be more adept at thinking and finding the right opportunity) might actually have to find the best time to make their move.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:08:28 AM by Bad_Bud »

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2011, 04:42:57 AM »
Please keep this thread constructive and not for venting frustrations.

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=16791.45

Shadowthrone

« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »
I don't know.  I'm just glad there's a chance for a melee to overtake a mage in premonition and acid sheath.  It wasn't possible before, particularly for the undead spellcasters out there, where one can't even rely on sneak attacks or critical hits to beat the damage reduction.

That was the main strategy before.  Stand in premonition and acid sheath, talk about how good you are, cast disabling spells on fighter, etc.

And saying a fighter has too many buffs at his disposal (when referring to fighting mages) is misleading.  Most of the spells we're talking about are potions from the herbalism craft, and most of these spells are caster level 3.  Some are a little higher, maybe around level 7 for improved invisibility, but this basically means they will not ever pass a dispel check against a cast of Mordenkainen's Disjunction.  So much for all those buffs.

What we're seeing is that the comfort of a mage has been disrupted in one particular scenario: unsupported (no spellcaster friend nearby) melee vs mage.  So now maybe the mage needs to be the one with backup in order to survive the encounter, instead of the melee?  I don't know.  It doesn't seem unfair to me, it just seems different.  Before +5 varnishes, I would never try to take on a high level mage by myself on my fighter.  I would refuse to engage in any confrontation because I knew I would lose.

I should also point out that non-suicidal fighters in most situations will bide their time and wait for the right opportunity.  I think too many of our spellcasters got comfortable with being in control in any situation where they had the time to cast two spells - Premo/Visage and Acid Sheath.  Now wizards (the ones who should be more adept at thinking and finding the right opportunity) might actually have to find the best time to make their move.

You're talking like +5 varnishes are your only weapon against mages, you know that isn't the case.

A Disjoiner potion for example may strip away everything but at least there's a window for using an escape mechanism. They're also a lot harder to come across (thus "fairer" in my mind.)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:54:11 AM by Sheltatha »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2011, 06:57:29 AM »

You're talking like +5 varnishes are your only weapon against mages, you know that isn't the case.

A Disjoiner potion for example may strip away everything but at least there's a window for using an escape mechanism.

Continuing on this, my mage during mid and high levels has died in PvP to following scenarios:
  1) attacked while resting in an inn room
  2) attacked by fully buffed G. Sanced cleric whilst lacking round based buffs
  3) targeted by lesser spell breach of a level 8 wizard while fully buffed, after which beaten to a pulp
  4) death attacked whilst fully buffed - assassin waited for acid sheath to go off, then beat him to death
  5) flesh to stoned

So far no one has disjoined me, and that'd give at least time to react unlike all the scenarios above. I haven't yet been defeated by +5 varnishes, but I bet that'll happen sooner or later and adds to one of these "YOU DIE INSTANTLY"-scenarios.

Disjoiners, g. sanctuaries, death attacks, sneak attacks, knockdowns, waiting for buffs to go out, spell breaches, so forth are enough of a bane of the mage, there's no need for +5 varnishes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:00:20 AM by tzaeru »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2011, 07:02:45 AM »
disjoiner would be in the same category as the spell breach by a level 8, only it would be usefull vs a cleric aswell

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2011, 08:36:38 AM »
I'd rather like to see someone fight a multi-classed cleric. Then we're talking of an unfair fight - unless your mage friend is there to dispel.
A certain 8th level multiclassed cleric had absolutely no problems to beat two 8th and a 12th level fighter-types with potion-based buffs to pulp. Repeatedly.

But what are we talking about here? Which wizards CAN actually get a X/+5 DR? Not that many, i bet.
Besides that, such a DR is not that big a problem. An AC of >40 is a much greater problem, but i doubt a wizard can get that.
So there are characters who can't beat a DR of what? 20/+5? 30/+5?
Bring a Rogue along and let him shine. Or any other character that has a decent chance of inflicting >40 damage per hit. Or defeat him in another way. Thinking just a bit, almost any class can contribute to bringing him down. But this requires a coordinated attack - hard if it is the mage that has surprise and full buffs on his side.
Some classes of middle-range level can actually inflict up to 40-70 damage per hit (maybe even more EDIT: 170??? seriously?? Who complains about +5 varnishes then?) without any buffs and magical equipment.

I would not care if +5 varnishes would be removed or made insanely hard to craft.

I did not even know until now that such varnishes actually exist!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:41:43 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2011, 08:40:38 AM »
I'd rather like to see someone fight a multi-classed cleric. Then we're talking of an unfair fight - unless your mage friend is there to dispel.
A certain 8th level multiclassed cleric had absolutely no problems to beat two 8th and a 12th level fighter-types with potion-based buffs to pulp. Repeatedly.

But what are we talking about here? Which wizards CAN actually get a X/+5 DR? Not that many, i bet.
Besides that, such a DR is not that big a problem. An AC of >40 is a much greater problem, but i doubt a wizard can get that.
So there are characters who can't beat a DR of what? 20/+5? 30/+5?
Bring a Rogue along and let him shine. Or any other character that has a decent chance of inflicting >40 damage per hit. Or defeat him in another way. Thinking just a bit, almost any class can contribute to bringing him down. But this requires a coordinated attack - hard if it is the mage that has surprise and full buffs on his side.
Some classes of middle-range level can actually inflict up to 40-70 damage per hit (maybe even more) without any buffs and magical equipment.

I would not care if +5 varnishes would be removed or made insanely hard to craft.

I did not even know until now that such varnishes actually exist!

Shapechanged wizard might have AC around 45. Multiclassed wizard/rogue too has probably around 45 to 50. Any wizard at level 7 can do 10/+5 damage reduction - the spell is called stoneskin. ;)

We're mostly talking of Premonition (and Greater Stoneskin) though, since that's what a wizard who's targeted by +5 varnishes would likely have on. Premonition is 10 damage absorbed per level before it ends, and the reduction is 30/+5.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:44:07 AM by tzaeru »

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »
I hate to sound like some kind of elitist, but if you've never PVP'd on this server, or done so at mid to high level, I'd hope you would think before posting about how it works.

I would have hoped that enough of you would know by now that i don't generally add to a discussion unless i have a valid opinion, but apparently you've decided i have had no experience with PVP, or in testing out caster classes and i won't waste time trying to refute that simply because you've made your "STFU n00b!" statement quite clear.
You could have simply responded with a counterargument instead of making vague sweeping generalisations regarding the players rather then the system, but whatever. I've said enough. You agree or you don't, this has dragged on long enough.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »
Shapechanged wizard might have AC around 45. Multiclassed wizard/rogue too has probably around 45 to 50.
So THIS is what i woud call a problem for a non-caster. But on the other hand, the offensive potential of a shapechanged wizard does not appear that hard for me. Or did i miss something else? A wizard that can't cast any more is nothing i worry about.

Any wizard at level 7 can do 10/+5 damage reduction - the spell is called stoneskin. ;)
ok, right. But... 10(!)/+5?
You make such a fuss because of a DR of 10?? (EDIT: ok, 20 or 30 for greater Stoneskin? But still...)

We're mostly talking of Premonition (and Greater Stoneskin) though, since that's what a wizard who's targeted by +5 varnishes would likely have on. Premonition is 10 damage absorbed per level before it ends, and the reduction is 30/+5.
Hm, the absorbing of damage is completely new to me... and it sounds quite hard at first glance. Sure, it takes some time, but seriously... we are talking about a class with D4 HD.
How long can it take to munch through that spell? 3 rounds?
It just depends on whether we are talking about a duell situation (yes, some classes of similar level might have a problem there) or a mixed team?

I am still way more worried about the multiclassed cleric.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:13:29 AM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:

Characters in stock:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2011, 09:14:27 AM »
well with the +5 you kill the mage in 1 hit, without it the fight lasts long enough for both players to have a chance for some input into it

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »
well with the +5 you kill the mage in 1 hit, without it the fight lasts long enough for both players to have a chance for some input into it

Just what i think... it seems i completely fail to see the problem for the +5 varnishes being required that badly...
Currently playing:

Characters in stock:

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2011, 09:20:17 AM »
I hate to sound like some kind of elitist, but if you've never PVP'd on this server, or done so at mid to high level, I'd hope you would think before posting about how it works.

I would have hoped that enough of you would know by now that i don't generally add to a discussion unless i have a valid opinion, but apparently you've decided i have had no experience with PVP, or in testing out caster classes and i won't waste time trying to refute that simply because you've made your "STFU n00b!" statement quite clear.
You could have simply responded with a counterargument instead of making vague sweeping generalisations regarding the players rather then the system, but whatever. I've said enough. You agree or you don't, this has dragged on long enough.

Both me and shady gave counter-arguments to what you claimed. No need to martyr yourself.

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »

Instant death spells kill in one hit too. And virtually every Caster i have PVP'd with has not been shy about using them.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
death spells also have several counters that arent very difficult to aquire of a decent level to block all death magic attempts

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 09:40:18 AM »
Im pretty against the +5 varnish thing.  Thats more power than most mages get at level 20.  Mages have been nerfed enough already.  One disjunction and your mage is already an easy target, let alone throwing +5 into the mix.  I play a fighter/wizard and I've rarely ever had trouble killing mages or passing through damage reduction in the past without the need for +5 varnishes.   I just dont see the need for them.  They seem more like overkill to me.   Especially when now any lvl 1 fighter can get them and use them.  I've been on the server since Beta Testing and I've seen countless PVP's here.  +5 items have never been needed in the past and I still dont think they are needed now.  I'd rather see them removed.  These are tools more geared towards Soloing which is something this server has never really been about.  If your fighter cant beat a mage, then find a friend to help you or learn to pick fights you can win.  If you cant go to that epic level dungeon alone --- then dont go to it.  Find a party to go with you.  Its not that hard.  I for one, tend to favor solo dungeoneering over groups but even I know that sometimes you have to have help with you.  You dont see me running for those Varnishes.  No, instead I simply look around IC for people to go with me. 

If you want to have all the melee and a host of spell buffs then either Multi-Class Fighter/Wizard or play a Cleric.  EARN your +5 Enchantment if you want it so bad.   It doesnt make sense to me that a level 20 wizard or cleric has to play on the server and grind and grind and grind for more than a year in most cases to get their +5 weapons when anyone else can walk into the outskirts and simply ask for one from some generous feeling player who has a stockpile of them.

Vote = +1 toward No More +5 Varnishes.  Dont want em.  Dont need em.  Dont like em.  Please remove them.  If not -- Then please return GMW to its original state and nix the heavy nerf on it.  That nerf was put in place to make things like +5 items more difficult to obtain basically meaning if you want +5 you have to be pure.  If anyone can have them simply by asking or crafting then I see no further reason for the GMW nerf to still be in place.  Either remove the +5 Varnishes or remove the GMW nerf please.
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
If your fighter cant beat a mage, then find a friend to help you or learn to pick fights you can win.  If you cant go to that epic level dungeon alone --- then dont go to it.  Find a party to go with you. 
Same idea should be applied to wizards aswell dont you think?
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
keep the +5 varnishes, make them more difficult to aquire by only having the most dangerous monsters drop the reagents.
And do not return to the old version of GMW, that would just encourage multi class solo mage/fighters.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
If your fighter cant beat a mage, then find a friend to help you or learn to pick fights you can win.  If you cant go to that epic level dungeon alone --- then dont go to it.  Find a party to go with you. 
Same idea should be applied to wizards aswell dont you think?

Im not saying it shouldn't.  And in some cases yes a mage does need help against a fighter.  But it shouldnt be because of some bulls*** +5 varnishes

If I have to play a pure wizard and spend over a year leveling him to have access to his CLASS GIVEN +5 weapons...  Than a class that DOESN'T GET MAGIC TO BEGIN WITH shouldn't have access to it on day one of creation.  Its just stupid.  No get rid of them.  Either that or REMOVE the GMW Nerf for wizards. 

Allowing non caster classes to have more powerful spell buffs (in this case GMW) than pure caster classes is just stupidity.  Period.  You want buffs?  Play a caster or make friends with one who will buff you.   

Here's an idea:  Why dont we just remove Mages, Clerics, Bards, Druids and all caster classes from the template?  This way, we can just turn all of their spells and abilities into potion bottles and everyone can play a fighter or a rogue.  Then we could all use those +5 varnishes instead of spending our time leveling and earning them.  We'll just make Petre sell them.  Yeah lets just do that.  Lets just take away EVEN MORE appeal from the spell caster classes.  They already got nerfed nearly out of usefulness and now they dont even get to use their Damage Reduction spells to save them from the Fighter who already has way higher AB, Triple the HP and Death Ward Potions to make them immune to any death spells.  And remember, I play both sides of the field here.  None the less that doesn't stop me from seeing how overly useless magic is becoming more and more each day.

I mean, come on... 

Necromancy:  Removed by Death Ward Potion
Spell Protections:  Removed by Disjunction
Damage Reduction:  Now removed by +5 Varnishes
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
death spells also have several counters that aren't very difficult to acquire of a decent level to block all death magic attempts

Most instant death spells are high level, to use one of Mayvinds characters (since other mages i have played against are still here and I'm not going to broadcast their DC's) had a DC of a 7th level spell at 28.
Very few characters can bounce a DC 28 of their saves, and before you start going on about KD, you may want to remind yourselves that Acid Sheath will kill most characters in 3-4 hits depending on level and by the time you've tossed out a dispel of one type or another, they have hit you with a one-shot kill spell or a timestop.
Also spells like Greater missile storm do not allow a save and do 120 points of damage on average, 240 if maximised.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:25:22 AM by Jay »

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
It seems to me mainly that the abundance of the +5 varnishes is an issue. I'm not sure I'm convinced it's obliterating mages' chances in PvP however. It may mean that you have to run and keep distance until you are able to dispel, have friends to melee (anyone recall the term meleers?) and act as support, throw in a summon to divert the strikes, or otherwise. I'm not perfectly sure it has to be a bad thing that spellcasters may have to do more than stand their ground, hurling spells while premonition wards off attacks.

I'm not saying that I'm certain it's not an issue either though. But have we had concrete experiences with these things? Have lower or equal level fighters proven to generally overpower mages now?

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
death spells also have several counters that aren't very difficult to acquire of a decent level to block all death magic attempts

Most instant death spells are high level, to use one of Mayvinds characters (since other mages i have played against are still here and I'm not going to broadcast their DC's) had a DC of a 7th level spell at 28.
Very few characters can bounce a DC 28 of their saves, and before you start going on about KD, you may want to remind yourselves that Acid Sheath will kill most characters in 3-4 hits depending on level and by the time you've tossed out a dispel of one type or another, they have hit you with a one-shot kill spell or a timestop.
Also spells like Greater missile storm do not allow a save and do 120 points of damage on average, 240 if maximised.

You are mistaken in multiple points here.

For one. Most paladins, barbarians, clerics, and such at level 15 would have more than a 50% chance to save a DC 28 death spell. There are also death ward potions existing, which would need to be dispelled first. As an example, my unbuffed paladin (level 16) has 55% chance to save a DC 28 death spell. Buffed, that chance is around 75%. If he's prepared, the mage has time for 1 or 2 spells. (I suggest empowered damage spells)

For two, at caster level 20, acid sheath's average damage is 43,5 per hit. Average level 20 cleric has unbuffed HP of 200, needing five hits. Buffed, it's six hits. Barbarian would need a lot more hits. Clever rogues have their acid robes at hand, and on top of that Lesser Spell Breach (easily available, castable by a level 2 bard, wizard, sorcerer or a level 10 rogue with UMD - from a scroll, which are cheap and readily available in loot) is likely to remove Acid Sheath. You can also IKD, heal, do it again.

For three, average damage of G. Isaacs on PoTM at caster level 20 is 70, not 120. Maximized the average damage is 100, not 240. empowered it is 105.

It seems to me mainly that the abundance of the +5 varnishes is an issue. I'm not sure I'm convinced it's obliterating mages' chances in PvP however. It may mean that you have to run and keep distance until you are able to dispel, have friends to melee (anyone recall the term meleers?) and act as support, throw in a summon to divert the strikes, or otherwise. I'm not perfectly sure it has to be a bad thing that spellcasters may have to do more than stand their ground, hurling spells while premonition wards off attacks.

I'm not saying that I'm certain it's not an issue either though. But have we had concrete experiences with these things? Have lower or equal level fighters proven to generally overpower mages now?

Even if made harder to get, certain groups of players will always farm enough of them to be used in most crucial PvP situations. And there are already so many in circulation. It's mostly that there's absolutely zero time to even try doing anything if a sneaking rogue, or g. sanced cleric with +5 varnish attacks you. On other hand, I'd like to imagine that something as powerful as +5 enchantment is reserved for pure casters, be that cleric, wizard or a bard.

Before +5 varnishes a mage could hardly just stand still with premonition if there was a high level rogue, cleric, paladin or a talented fighter about. Plenty of tools to get rid of the premonition as it was, but those tools required more risk than throwing in a varnish.

In PvP, summon doesn't divert anyone who's good in what he does. It's run over with haste potion, knockdown, die mage, die. I also know at least one example where a rogue took out a high level mage in around 3 seconds with +5 varnishes.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:29:56 PM by tzaeru »