Author Topic: The +5 Varnishes  (Read 37659 times)

Shadowthrone

Re: The +5 Varnishes
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 05:08:30 PM »
I carry about forty greater magical varnishes on Sofiya.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
Just for overview, and I realise this is an OOC giveaway, but how many of you carry around the +5 varnishes and how many of them do you have?

Yesterday was 4 +5 varnishes on Delarion (level 16) and two hearts. Now 1, gave 3 away. I noticed I could grab 3 hearts every few days if wanted to, but Holy Sword kind of makes it useless to have more than one for a backup.

I agree +5 varnishes would be cool coming from Zalaph's dragon blood and things similarly epic. And maybe increase such a DC to 40, if say +4 were 35.

Dunno. Stuff seemingly epic is still farmed by those able - and willing - to. I don't like the idea that if I had an evil wizard, minding his own business in that summoning circle, he might die before I can blink. With Premonition there's at least a theoretical chance that someone has time to intervene or the Improved Knockdown spam has a pause long enough for quicken Iron Horn.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:42:50 PM by tzaeru »

Hanzo

• Undead Master
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
It seems that the main focus of everyone here is the use of the varnishes for weapons only. They help out a great deal with hitting yes, but while using another varnish instead I mainly use them on armor, and they help a lot in the event that one of my characters is the last one standing amongst a large party and everyone is in need of rescue, or there is a surprise high respawn and everyone forgot to rest.

"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul, an evil sword."

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Kolgrímur(lvl 19): 10 varnishes or so, making them himself when hearts cross his path.

Aliel(lvl 10): 10, bought from Jinx.

Isolina(lvl 11): 5-10, bought from Haustfer 'long' time ago.

Yea...I don't go out of my way for any crafting stuff really. Just use them as they come.

Miuo

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 08:41:32 PM »
[Had no idea they could be tossed on armor] Oooooh :o

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 08:50:02 PM »
Besides premonition, do we really need +5 ab for anything? +4? I don't see a reason to put such a powerful effect in game (via potions of all things!) with such a limited need. I know this is a low magic server, not a no-powerful-magic server, but I think things like this ruin the atmosphere when they are introduced and available in abundant quantities.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Generally I dislike the fact that overcoming damage reductions no longer requires race/alignment specific weaponry or witchcrafts, but it's enough to throw in a +3 or +5 varnish.

+4 would still be somewhat of a nice compromise, I guess.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2011, 10:18:35 PM »
Generally I dislike the fact that overcoming damage reductions no longer requires race/alignment specific weaponry or witchcrafts, but it's enough to throw in a +3 or +5 varnish.

Or throw on an enchantment spell. It's pretty much just as common. Nothing varnish specific.

Oh but how I wish we could have this nice material specific DR like in nwn2... :allears: ...but that's another discussion.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2011, 10:26:24 PM »

Or throw on an enchantment spell. It's pretty much just as common. Nothing varnish specific.

That's witchcrafts!  :P

Shadowthrone

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2011, 10:42:59 PM »

That's witchcrafts!  :P

And +5 Greater Magic Weapon requires a level 20 caster.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 11:39:51 PM »

Oh but how I wish we could have this nice material specific DR like in nwn2... :allears: ...but that's another discussion.

I don't.  That just leads to people carrying around a golf-bag full of weapons.  "Lets see...I need the adamantine sword this time..."

WildPirate13

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2011, 12:07:51 PM »
Its just a witch slap on some varnish and string em up! lol!

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 01:40:26 PM »
I would not say that the reagents are SUPER easy to come by, anymore.
Reiko has quite a few of them, but the character I have played mostly since the changes to the Alhoon lair occurred has not had nearly as easy of a time getting some.

I see the +5 varnishes as checks and balances, there is an element of real risk if a spellcaster goes Armageddon nowadays. Those sorts of things were always done a bit too frequently before there was an element of real risk.
And I may be wrong, but I don't think any melee character has brought the chaos with the use of varnishes, its more of a deterrent.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:36 PM »
well for a char with high stealth, or invis potions, of around level 13+ you can pretty much target just the Hags, and do Forest Fane/Marsh and just kill the hag without clearing the spawn enough to damage its status. And each hag heart is 1 +5 varnihs, its alot better than it was during the 12 Iron Golems in a High Alhoon spawn

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:55 PM »
I see no problem with there being -one- item that can cut through the half-dozen protective wards mages can cast.
As far as i am aware there are no +5 vs [Alignment] weapons on the server and not everyone has the strength to carry around all the weapons required to do this even if they did.
A mage can kill other classes by picking from a plethora of spells at his disposal, (Mind spells vs fighters/Rogues. Fort spells vs Casters) the fact that people can have a chance to fight back without having to be friends with -another- high level caster balances the server well i think and means that mages have to think twice before throwing their levels around.
Just to crunch the numbers for you. A cleric/Mage can cap out at AC of 45-60. That is beyond most Fighter classes AB considering the magical weapons available on the server. Spells like Implosion, Missile Storm, Bigby's, EVT, Wail of the Banshee, Acid Sheath and Hold Monster Can win a fight for you before it even starts. I respect the right for Mages to be respected for their power, but that doesn't mean you should push the server down the route of the only way of defeating them being another mage.
As far as PVM goes. Three characters with over fifty levels between them (My Paladin being the only "Caster") went silver mining the other day, and were forced to retire after three deaths and about 10k worth of expendables were used for 10 precious Silver ore. A Single high level sorcerer was able to Solo the place the following day.

Edit: Grevis carries about 4 Greater Varnishes on him, he's never had the chance to use one.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:48:48 PM by Jay »

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:03 PM »
I am not opposed to the existance of the +5 Varnishes, I am opposed to the ease of aquiring them. Higher DC to craft them, and making them drop from the most dangerous monsters available

WildPirate13

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2011, 03:40:48 PM »
How many varnishes.. 200 +5 some industrious person put together..

I am 18th and cant create a +5 with greater magic weapon.. Sorry but this add on is broken. There is a reason for classes isn't there?  It gets silly when spells can be found in potion bottles like mords dysfunction its just laughable. Justification is player balance wtf! The four break down of classic classes. It does not seem to matter really. Meh! I hope the next cc and the devs when they have time to look at this it will come out positive.

If you want to have the mage abilities play a mage. If you want the cleric abilities etc  etc. Now if you have access to oodles of +5 varnishes and top end gear. Well your the 500 pound gorilla that can do it all and have a wicked natural ab.

Set me up with a Fighter/Rogue and some varnishes! Woohoo! O ya throw in ... never mind.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2011, 03:46:42 PM »
I could have produced far more if I wanted to, but I dislike farming dungeons repeatedly. And I especially dislike doing them alone

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:52 PM »
How many varnishes.. 200 +5 some industrious person put together..

I am 18th and cant create a +5 with greater magic weapon.. Sorry but this add on is broken. There is a reason for classes isn't there?  It gets silly when spells can be found in potion bottles like mords dysfunction its just laughable. Justification is player balance wtf! The four break down of classic classes. It does not seem to matter really. Meh! I hope the next cc and the devs when they have time to look at this it will come out positive.

If you want to have the mage abilities play a mage. If you want the cleric abilities etc  etc. Now if you have access to oodles of +5 varnishes and top end gear. Well your the 500 pound gorilla that can do it all and have a wicked natural ab.

Set me up with a Fighter/Rogue and some varnishes! Woohoo! O ya throw in ... never mind.

You can't really say that, in Vanilla D&D most 18th level fighter classes would have at -least- three +4 items of some description. On this server you're lucky if you have a one +2 item. No-one is asking to have access to a mages spellbook as a Meelee class, they just want to have the opportunity to fight one without having to rely on another player to buff them first.

WildPirate13

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
Someone please do a list of spells available in potion and item form usable for the poor fighters.

Sadly +4 items would not be in existence for very long in any given domain if you look at he cannon material. I hope Strahd goes out and does collections of toys sometime like a reverse Santa Claus lol

KD is removed then we can talk turkey for balance. That is not classic PnP either. The nerfs are immense for the Arcane users in addition but that is off topic.

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »
IMO +5 varnishes should stay if someone has enough of their free time to run around the server with some specific potions and target specific bosses to get the resources let them do it. They ll probably wont have time to do anything else or will play all day long. None of my characters had any +5 varsnishes whatsoever and I see no reason for their removal really.

Give a group of non casters a chance when they do not want go all the way OOC to find a caster or there is no high lvl caster on the server.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

WildPirate13

« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:48 PM »
+5 is now considered a chance...

I miss the good old days.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2011, 11:30:24 PM »
IMO +5 varnishes should stay if someone has enough of their free time to run around the server with some specific potions and target specific bosses to get the resources let them do it. They ll probably wont have time to do anything else or will play all day long. None of my characters had any +5 varsnishes whatsoever and I see no reason for their removal really.

Eh, for PvP purposes you get enough of them for weeks after some few hours. Less if you happen to be a rogue with shady tactics. :P

It's easy to not see the reason if you have none of them and do not rely on damage reduction buffs.

I see no problem with there being -one- item that can cut through the half-dozen protective wards mages can cast.
As far as i am aware there are no +5 vs [Alignment] weapons on the server and not everyone has the strength to carry around all the weapons required to do this even if they did.
A mage can kill other classes by picking from a plethora of spells at his disposal, (Mind spells vs fighters/Rogues. Fort spells vs Casters) the fact that people can have a chance to fight back without having to be friends with -another- high level caster balances the server well i think and means that mages have to think twice before throwing their levels around.
Just to crunch the numbers for you. A cleric/Mage can cap out at AC of 45-60. That is beyond most Fighter classes AB considering the magical weapons available on the server. Spells like Implosion, Missile Storm, Bigby's, EVT, Wail of the Banshee, Acid Sheath and Hold Monster Can win a fight for you before it even starts. I respect the right for Mages to be respected for their power, but that doesn't mean you should push the server down the route of the only way of defeating them being another mage.

No offense, but these arguments don't hold very well with anyone who has a solid clue of how PvP actually works. Non-polymorphed pure wizard likely has at most around 30 AC. Strong fighter or sneak attacking rogue hits over premonition and eats the whole reduction quickly. Those damage reductions are also vulnerable to spell breaches - any level 2 wizard, bard, sorcerer, or around level 10 rogue can remove a lot of essential buffs from a wizard with a simple, relatively cheap and often found scroll (lesser spell breach). On top of that, generalist wizard has least spells per day of any other 'pure' spell casting class, sucky AC and low HP.

If one goes without preparation against a buffed up wizard, it's his fault he dies. Dream catchers work against hold monster, for a sneaky rogue acid robes cut enough of the damage to kill the wizard with sneak attacks.

For pure wizards/sorcerers, damage reductions are pretty much the only protection there truly is. That, and shapechange, during which you can't cast, and which isn't exactly unbeatable.

Claiming that prior to +5 varnishes only way to defeat a buffed mage was by another mage is so horribly wrong. It's just false to no point. Granted that defeating a prepared mage requires some thinking, they are still very far from unbeatable. I'd rather like to see someone fight a multi-classed cleric. Then we're talking of an unfair fight - unless your mage friend is there to dispel.

Give a group of non casters a chance when they do not want go all the way OOC to find a caster or there is no high lvl caster on the server.

This is, again, off the point. The varnishes are not so common that most characters who have them would use them in a dungeon. Their primary function isn't dungeoning, but targeting a wizard or sorcerer for a quick take down. Therefore they do not serve the purpose of balancing PvM. Also, does +1 AB and Damage really make that much of a difference in a dungeon? (If we compare to +4 varnishes)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 01:21:15 AM by tzaeru »

Springer

• Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »
If PvP is played for the win then no matter what vanishes you add or remove winner would be the one who hitted first with decisive blow. All these dream catchers, firepipes and whatnot coulld work if wizard comes out in the open and says. "Listen everyone! I am going to cast Hold monster." Usually if participants use such stuff for quick take downs that means they do not let the other party time to prepare. Be it wizard who casted Time stop and then Stone to flesh or rogue using varnish to sneak the wizard.
Ricard Dateel
Tullus Araphenson

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2011, 01:04:40 AM »
you dont need anything higher than +3 for PvM