Author Topic: The +5 Varnishes  (Read 37657 times)

Romar Notten

Re: The +5 Varnishes
« Reply #200 on: May 25, 2011, 07:27:32 PM »
For those who have not been updated on the status of +5 varnish components, given how rare it is to acquire the +5 varnish component, I don't think an overabundance of +5 varnishes will ever be a problem again.  Based on the knowledge I have, I'm assuming there is only one enemy that drops the component right now.

There's more then one thing that drops it, but I'll never tell :twisted:

I don't think it would be fitting for magical essences (varnishes) to have a system in which could destroy your weapon. If that was the case I wouldn't even be doing Alchemy.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 07:34:36 PM by Romar Notten »

Jay

• Dark Power
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2011, 02:54:30 AM »
For those who have not been updated on the status of +5 varnish components, given how rare it is to acquire the +5 varnish component, I don't think an overabundance of +5 varnishes will ever be a problem again.  Based on the knowledge I have, I'm assuming there is only one enemy that drops the component right now.

There's more then one thing that drops it, but I'll never tell :twisted:

I don't think it would be fitting for magical essences (varnishes) to have a system in which could destroy your weapon. If that was the case I wouldn't even be doing Alchemy.

I agree, it would make varnishes pointless because you wouldn't want to risk your (rare and expensive) magic sword on an extra 1d4 damage in combat, making varnishes redundant except as very lame grenade weapons.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
As a bit of a side-suggestion...

How hard is it to make Fire  / Acid / other varnishes? I don't think anyone will find an imbalance in them, and perhaps improving their power or frequency would make it more feasible for throwing on weapons in dungeons rather than reserving for extremely rare occasions.

I mean it's not like you can't make yourself happily immune to the elements, so PvP wise it should be a nonissue.

Badelaire

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2011, 08:15:58 PM »

How hard is it to make Fire  / Acid / other varnishes? I don't think anyone will find an imbalance in them, and perhaps improving their power or frequency would make it more feasible for throwing on weapons in dungeons rather than reserving for extremely rare occasions.

I mean it's not like you can't make yourself happily immune to the elements, so PvP wise it should be a nonissue.

Personally I can make literally hundreds of 1d8 cold varnishes for order (if anyone actually bought them) and a few dozen 1d4 electrical because the area I get them from requires you to have at least 10/- cold DR to survive and is seldom visited (it's not Jezra's). The places where I know acid and fire reagents drop is so far lower than my level that I'd be an absolute crap-bag to go clear out a dungeon solely for them when other PC's can benefit more. I struggle to find magical varnish reagents than any other due to the frequency their progenitors are farmed.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:26:08 PM by Badelaire »

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #204 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:14 PM »

Personally I can make literally hundreds of 1d8 cold varnishes for order (if anyone actually bought them) and a few dozen 1d4 electrical because the area I get them from requires you to have at least 10/- cold DR to survive and is seldom visited (it's not Jezra's). The places where I know acid and fire reagents drop is so far lower than my level that I'd be an absolute crap-bag to go clear out a dungeon solely for them when other PC's can benefit more. I struggle to find magical varnish reagents than any other due to the frequency their progenitors are farmed.

This is a problem I often have. And people either refuse to sell the components cause they have their own private alchemist or they ask idiotic prices so as I'd have to charge thousands for weak varnishes. Which is idiotic.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2011, 10:20:50 PM »
Hmm, maybe we need to add elemental reagents to mid/high level dungeons too, so that low level areas aren't the only place to acquire such reagents.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Zedrik

• Warbird
  • Dark Lord
  • The Hellrabbits are watching you.
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2011, 11:21:16 AM »
Hmm, maybe we need to add elemental reagents to mid/high level dungeons too, so that low level areas aren't the only place to acquire such reagents.
Preferably areas that aren't Perfidus.

Warning: Don't provoke the high-level Falkovnian wizard. He bites. (And not in the good way.)

WildPirate13

« Reply #207 on: June 03, 2011, 07:42:42 PM »
The elemental are in place already and are more powerful than the spells!!!  There is even a negative energy now using the cool ectoplasm..

Still hate the +5 varnish. +3 should be max.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2011, 05:46:29 AM »

They Just add lately  new reagents in the Sullen woods and they are even weightless

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »
I know the ones you are talking about and that's not what I was trying to recommend. Badelaire said that acid and fire reagents only spawn in low level areas, so it might be practical to have acid/fire reagents spawning in higher levels too, so as not to clear a low level dungeon needlessly just for reagents.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
lots of Fire reagents in the Alhoon lair