Author Topic: The +5 Varnishes  (Read 37653 times)

tzaeru

• Dark Power
The +5 Varnishes
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:26:13 PM »
Hi.

Are the +5 varnishes really necessary? I don't really see their purpose, except in that they remove the only protection pure non-AC hogging wizards and sorcerers have. Premonition and Greater Stoneskin are anyway hit over by strong fighters or sneaking rogues and removed in matter of rounds, so the +5 varnishes seem like a vast overkill. Not to mention that level 20 caster no longer has that unique capability of enchanting a +5 weapon.

And to the same breath, the ingredient required for these varnishes are tad bit too common. Skillful rogues can farm 3 of them every few hours, and the rest of high level characters in a bit more time.

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
Re: The +5 Varnishes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:46:21 PM »
One word.
Perfidus.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
One word.
Perfidus.

If you're referring to the demonologists, I never needed +5 weapon against them. Knockdown/hiding behind obstacles does the work, and even better does Lesser Spell Breach.

I don't know what else there would really require a +5 weapon.

EDIT: Adding that I've never actually done the place in full.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 01:57:27 PM by tzaeru »

Shadowthrone

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
I would prefer if Greater Magical Varnishes offered a +4 enhancement and I barely play casters myself. +5 enhancement is never a "must have" in PvE, all they really mean to me is that my rogue can melt down a mage in seconds.

I would also prefer if the reagents spawned in high level dungeons rather than mid level dungeons. Not only do I think they are too common but it means the mid level dungeons are constantly farmed by high levels for the reagents. Unfortunately the only high level dungeon available at the moment is Perfidus, but personally I'd prefer it if they spawned there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:12:14 PM by Sheltatha »

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
While I've made a lot of varnishes with my pc alchemist, I've yet to use a +5 enhancement varnish.  I have not found the arcane based reagents easy to come by but I have always opted for ic trade and purchase of the hearts with other pcs over farming them as a player of a rogue, so this may be why.  While my pc could creep up and stab hags selectively, it is counterproductive imo to do so.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:44:59 PM »
You would have to use a lot of varnishes to make it a regular weapon in Perf and PVM in general. That, of course, is the problem. They are fairly common, and they are the extreme end of the balance spectrum. I still see mages casting premo as they stand around these days, as if it would even matter when I have the varnishes on hand to end them in seconds. It makes high level DR spells a non factor. Even at +3 varnishes would cut through nearly every form of DR, including that of greater undead, and +4 is basically for the AB boost. +5 is just overboard, and entirely too common to boot.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:13:27 AM »
You would have to use a lot of varnishes to make it a regular weapon in Perf and PVM in general. That, of course, is the problem. They are fairly common, and they are the extreme end of the balance spectrum. I still see mages casting premo as they stand around these days, as if it would even matter when I have the varnishes on hand to end them in seconds. It makes high level DR spells a non factor. Even at +3 varnishes would cut through nearly every form of DR, including that of greater undead, and +4 is basically for the AB boost. +5 is just overboard, and entirely too common to boot.

I agree.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »
I dont know , it helps my monk hit alot of things he would not do so because of his monk abilities. Thier just not for swords anymore . I like them.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 02:59:33 AM »
+5's are excessive, there really is no need for them. And if they are to exist. They should drop from creatures like malthor, zalaph and prisoner

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 03:03:52 AM »
I don't think we really need anything above +3.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 03:25:37 AM »
I don't think we really need anything above +3.

Personally I'd drop +3 varnishes and make players have to rely on race/alignment specific weaponry or witchcrafts in overcoming damage reductions. But then, I am biased due to having a wizard and would happily settle with +4 varnishes being the maximum. ;)

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
Lesser +1, strong +2, greater +4. Sounds fine. Or change the whole system and make five types from +1 to +5. But that would be overly complicated.

I agree +5 varnishes would be cool coming from Zalaph's dragon blood and things similarly epic. And maybe increase such a DC to 40, if say +4 were 35.

The enchanting system becomes a factor in it too though, but I don't really know that system.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
Enchanting is mostly a factor worth investigating if you have a heavy weapon or bow. Or something rare like kukri.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
Since the varnishes have come in, there have been less mages terrorizing the outskirts from within premonition and acid sheath, so I'm not sure it's that bad of a thing.  It might not be fair, but it's probably also similarly not fair how powerful implosion is, and that doesn't require any component at all to use.

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
Since the varnishes have come in, there have been less mages terrorizing the outskirts from within premonition and acid sheath, so I'm not sure it's that bad of a thing.  It might not be fair, but it's probably also similarly not fair how powerful implosion is, and that doesn't require any component at all to use.

+1

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 12:59:39 PM »
I agree with everyone else on this matter. I'd like ot see the + drop to max +4. This way having a powerful witch around would mean a bit more then just not having to use their own resourses for warding.

I think all we need now is Spell Mantle in potion form and spellcasters will be completely obsolete.

Let see  right now a pure fighter or Barb can do this : Any Stat potion they need, Hevanly Armor, Clarity, Haste, +5 Varnish/ AB boost and Armor/shield boost,Elemental Warding or Varnish based warding, whetstone, Firepipes. Then all the fighter needs to do is throw a Disjoiner at its opponent and spam knockdown and the fights over.

Ps: I think a drinkable Ultravision is needed too.!!

kanedellesk

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
That's all based on the assumption that A) The fighter/barbarian has a friend who can make that stuff, B) Has the coin for it, and C) probably has rogue levels since some of the items listed require UMD.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
Since the varnishes have come in, there have been less mages terrorizing the outskirts from within premonition and acid sheath, so I'm not sure it's that bad of a thing.  It might not be fair, but it's probably also similarly not fair how powerful implosion is, and that doesn't require any component at all to use.

Do you really think that is the cause? We've gradually lost all the high level outskirts stormers, and "well there's varnishes now.." was likely not the reason. Except, of course, in the case of Mayvinds gnome, who in fact was killed as a result of varnishes cutting through his DR. So, uh, i guess you could say varnishes enabled the killing off of what remained of those who would have.

But this is getting off topic. Fighters have many toys now, and they were introduced for balance and convenience purposes and have largely succeeded. I don't want to take them away. It's simply a matter of a commonly crafted material invalidating not only a level 8 spell, but the entire means of defense for a class.  That is overboard.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Just for overview, and I realise this is an OOC giveaway, but how many of you carry around the +5 varnishes and how many of them do you have?

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 02:54:20 PM »
Currently my merchant pc has 10 Greater Magical Varnishes in stock.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 03:18:31 PM »
Currently have 4 Greater Magical Varnishes on Boyo.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:21:10 PM by Kenkaku »
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Mailbox0000

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
I just think they should be a bit harder to come by.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
I have made around 200 +5 varnishes, 40 or so after iron golems where removed as a source, i am erring on the low side now. All this was as niko. Last. batch i brewed was 10 that had Been gathered over few days

Vespertilio

• Dark Power
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
I have made around 200 +5 varnishes, 40 or so after iron golems where removed as a source, i am erring on the low side now. All this was as niko. Last. batch i brewed was 10 that had Been gathered over few days

O.o

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:16:10 PM by Vespertilio »

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
I only have two. I know it's all i need for a major engagement amd i can easily replace them. I've given away about 10 hag hearts.