You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Madame Vadoma - more conversation choices?  (Read 2349 times)

Telkar

• Dark Power
Madame Vadoma - more conversation choices?
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
The one in the mist camp. I'm talking about the point where you can choose to either ask "where to find great treasure" or "leave". It fit for one of my characters, but my other is less interested in treasure and seeks to just destroy evil. Could a choice similar to that be added in? And maybe other choices depending on other objectives...knowledge, action, suicide. :p

Just a thought.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Madame Vadoma - more conversation choices?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
It's not possible to detect evil in Ravenloft though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Sure it is. Just step outside and look around. Evil everywhere.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
Well, you could define it differently, like monsters and aberrations of nature. *shrugs*

Miuo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
(Steps outside and sees a little girl fetching water from a well) EVILLLLLLL! (shoves her in and walks away dusting hands off at her good deed)  :devil:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 03:28:45 PM »
Hmm, perhaps great power?

Though, I would say, it won't be held against anyone if they asked for treasure when their character would ask for some equivalent.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 03:38:50 PM »
I guess it doesn't matter much as it'd lead to the same answers, but I just felt weird asking about great treasure with my paladin.  :)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
Yeah, I understand. I guess your paladin might figure out that scrying for great treasure is the best way to scry for great evil in these lands ;)

If it becomes a problem, I'll look at it.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 08:53:37 PM »
Sure it is. Just step outside and look around. Evil everywhere.

Thats not entirely fair. Not everyone outside is evil. Usually just the ones wearing black...oh wait.....nevermind.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:26:52 AM »

:lol: In that case Vadoma might just point to the same three (maybe more) places every time... Zalaph, Jezry and Strahd. No?

But if it were scripted in a way that would give direction to a place with a spawn suiting the asking characters level... that would in fact be interesting.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »

:lol: In that case Vadoma might just point to the same three (maybe more) places every time... Zalaph, Jezry and Strahd. No?

But if it were scripted in a way that would give direction to a place with a spawn suiting the asking characters level... that would in fact be interesting.

That'd be interesting, yep. So far I've used her scrying 4 times - none of the times has been useful. First she told me to go to Perfidus.. Err, no. Sorry. Then to Zalaph.. As if I was running to other side of the server and risk being beaten by stacking Shadow creatures. Then she told me to go to caves in Blaustein. Otherwise good, but I just came from there. Guess the spawn had one of those sudden, random increases. Then she suggested Perfidus again.

But then, if she gave you good challenges according to your level, it'd feel a little OOC. But right now I've never found her useful at all.

dark_majico

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 04:03:42 AM »
It's not possible to detect evil in Ravenloft though.

Could she scry for injustice? Chaos, law, good (to give the evil characters something to thrawt)?

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
Detect Evil already detects Chaos (as in alignment) in Ravenloft. Not really sure about injustice, because "justice" varies depending on the laws and generally accepted morals/ethics of the community. Someone's idea of justice isn't going to always be anothers. Look at the Muslim honor killings for a sense of completely warped "justice". However, I think the Dark Powers would just thwart scrying for "injustice" for the same reason as evil. Simple amusement. But to know that the detections are going to be reversed, it would be metagaming for an evil character to try and use that detection to find good/lawful characters.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

dark_majico

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
My orrigional thought was that in the world of D&D injustice is definable because the game mechanics need it to be to work. They rely on black and white ideas of good and evil. Some monsters are by definition evil, and some creatures are by definition Good. Smite evil works because everyone knows what it is going to smite without having to worrie about perspectives getting in the way. An evil villain might think he is just in his actions, and he has a very good reason to burn down a villag full of innocent bystanders to get to his intended target but even with his warped sense of moral compass that vaillain is still evil.

However having thought on this, injustice requires evil to work (even a good character carrying out injustce is doing something evil) and the dark powers wouldnt let you scry for evil, so meh, egnore that one.