You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Spears in NWN. Why are they two-handed?  (Read 9408 times)

Kagetora

• Undead Master
Spears in NWN. Why are they two-handed?
« on: April 08, 2011, 06:18:57 PM »
So, I have a question...why are all spears in NWN two-handed weapons?

All throughout history, when spears were used, they were used both two-handed (as in many Asian cultures that didn't typically use shields), and one-handed, usually coupled with a shield (typically in early warfare around northern/southern Europe, western Asia, and Africa).

Most two-handed spears were actually much longer than what is depicted in NWN, more akin to pikes than spears.

It sure would be nice to have spears in NWN made into one-handed weapons.  Then one could play, for example, a Greek, Celtic, Norse, or similar character and use more authentic fighting styles (spear and shield with a back-up weapon).  I can't imagine this would be unbalacing in any way...one can already get a variety of one-handed weapons that do 1d8 damage...spears just do it piercing instead of slashing or bludgeoning.

Is it possible this could be implemented?  I know if it were, I'd probably make myself a new character, just to take advantage of the coolness factor...

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Spears in NWN. Why are they two-handed?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 07:07:13 PM »
Not possible. It's hard-coded into the engine.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »
Fair enough, if a lame decison by the original designer.  Thanks for the answer.

I don't suppose its possible to make NEW spears that are one handed and add them to the game?

Miuo

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:37 PM »
Could always just make spears with AC stats on them. Since they could be used to Block?

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:37 PM »
Maybe get the CEP guys to add the appearance of a Spear to a sword/rapier/something? That'd work just as well, I think.

Revenant

• Noot Noot
  • Dark Lord
  • Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »
I've seen tridents made one-handed on another server somewhere, though I forget which.  I doubt it'd be worth prioritizing or working on it though.
Vicerimus Mortem.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 01:30:42 AM »
You'd basically have to make them a new weapon, but then you wouldn't be able to use feats like weapon focus on it because again, hard-coded. :-/

Mailbox0000

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 01:56:53 AM »
Tridents are one-handed... they can be purchased in Blaustein. There's also a two-handed variety.. so be sure to check the trident's stats before making a purschase.  But if you're planning on going there.. hide yo kids.. hide yo wife.

Problem is, no feats apply to them, like focus, ect.  I -would- like to see some sexy one-handed tridents implemented though.. I mean, why not?

Thani

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:36 AM »
Okay, so even if you manage to make 1-handed spears, none would seriosuly weild one into combat due to lack of feats that go with it, but it would look cool when you walk around with it... (Yeah, not all of you need feats etc, but still, if this goes through, I'm making a dual-spear weilding STR rogue.)

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:01:16 PM »
Its not about what "feats" I can have with the weapon, or how powerful it is, or whatever.  Its about injecting a little more accuracy and atmosphere into the game as a whole.  Like I said...as far as effectiveness goes, it's nothing but a longsword that does piercing damage.  Big deal.  It's a shame that none of those things would apply to it, because it would mean that when actually fighting seriously you'd have to put it away and pull out the "back-up" weapon, i.e. the one you did have all the feats attached to, the one you could actually find magical versions of, and so on.  But as far as RP value, well, isn't that what the server is supposed to be about?

And you could feel free to handicap yourself and dual-wield them...since neither is a "light" weapon, it would be the same as dual-wielding a pair of longswords, with those attendant penalties.  Go for it.

A trident is close, and I wonder if with the resting/crafting you can alter the head to look more spear-like.  Anyone tried this out?

Mailbox0000

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 12:19:57 PM »
A trident is close, and I wonder if with the resting/crafting you can alter the head to look more spear-like.  Anyone tried this out?

If I recall correctly, there are quite a few looks, but they are all trident-like in appearance.  I could be wrong though.  I'll be a doll and go check.

Thani

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
Well, I know its about the RP value, still you can easily see who's a fighter and who's a cleric, by simply looking at the weapons they have... Typical fighter has a big magical two-handed sword and a cleric has a shield and a morningstar... Not everyone has it like that, but there are so many who do...

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »
Okay, so even if you manage to make 1-handed spears, none would seriosuly weild one into combat due to lack of feats that go with it, but it would look cool when you walk around with it... (Yeah, not all of you need feats etc, but still, if this goes through, I'm making a dual-spear weilding STR rogue.)
It's unlikely to "go through" unless the CEP adds one in the future

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 01:12:24 AM »

If I recall correctly, there are quite a few looks, but they are all trident-like in appearance.  I could be wrong though.  I'll be a doll and go check.

I found one for sale in Vallaki, on a merchant.  They are all trident heads, but...it's at least close.  1d8, one handed, spear-like...doesn't look horrible.  I'll just roll with it for now.

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:43 AM »

Actually it's a 2-minute edit of baseitems.2da

You just change WeaponSize from 4 to 3 on line 58.
Order of Zarus Forums

Antonus Taran - Zarusian War Chaplain

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 02:13:05 AM »

I thought Doom had made custom spears for the halflings in the ML faction because they couldn't use two-handed weapons? 
Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Antonus Taran

• Undead Master
  • The Order of Zarus
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 04:00:27 AM »
CEP comes with a new short-spear weapon class, he probably used that.
Order of Zarus Forums

Antonus Taran - Zarusian War Chaplain

"Rejoice! Let the glory of battle envelop us! Let our enemies fear us, for we are Zarus' wrath!"

Hanzo

• Undead Master
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »
NWN 2 comes equipped with the Monkey Grip feat that allows you to wield spear in one hand and shield in the other.

"The sword is the soul. Study the soul to know the sword. An evil soul, an evil sword."

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09:13 AM »
there is monkey grip in NWN1 too afaik.

Makeithome

• Undead Slayer
  • "Antagonist"
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »
There is an option to make one handed spears in the Toolset Actually, but there animations look... off. Besides, good thing about a spear was that you could keep your enemy at lengths.

"Some men aren't looking for anything logical. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 01:15:28 AM »
there is monkey grip in NWN1 too afaik.
nope

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 03:30:42 AM »
is it possible to get a pitch fork and torch in both hands?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 03:34:11 AM by Stravokov »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
Trident and torch.... tridents look enough like pitchforks.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2011, 05:21:44 AM »
Trident and torch.... tridents look enough like pitchforks.

There are pitch fork appearances for tridents.