You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Beetle ecology  (Read 1662 times)

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Beetle ecology
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:58 PM »
After battleing my way through a group of scarab beetles today (each dropping one piece of Monsterous chittin) I came upon two stag beetles & the hive mother , yet none of thes last few tough enemies had any chitin on them at all.

Due to the fact that only huge hook horrors & huge umber hulks have thick chittin (both of which are extreemly rare) , might I suggest the Hive mother is added to the drop list of Thick monsterous chittin drops ?

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
Re: Beetle ecology
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:12:58 PM »
Though I don't entirely agree on the rarity of Larger Umber Hulks and Hook Horrors, Scarab Beetles are significantly more common and, consequently, their absurdly more powerful brethren. Stag Beetles and Hive Mothers having Thick Monstrous Chitin would be very helpful as, at the moment, the only reliable source of Chitin, thick or otherwise, is Har'Akir and even there it's somewhat of a rarity to obtain what you need most of the time. It would make a lot of sense as well since Hive Mothers have some thick freakin' skulls. I think I usually have to dish out a nice 150-200 damage to them every time I see 'em.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
Tarin said the Huge varieties not the large, the huge are slightly more rare than the large ones

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:50:25 PM »
Tarin said the Huge varieties not the large, the huge are slightly more rare than the large ones

Both of which drop Thick monstrous chitin, but yes, Greater Umber Hulks and Hook Horrors are pretty rare. The Large versions aren't quite so rare, though. More rare than the scarab spawns, but not exceedingly so.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

MadMage99

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:31:24 PM »
Wait, whut?

I just ran into a ton of Large umberhulks and hook horrors the other day searching for thick monstrous chitin plate. I think there were at least two pages full, by the time I was done
. and I didn't even go that far. I wasn't even trying for thick chitin.. I just wanted monstrous... maybe I just got lucky but, didn't seem all that hard to me.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 01:13:48 AM »
uhm caves towards the dwarven city contains umbers and hooks   i got a few there. so nope not just har akir
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:28:43 AM »
I don't think adding mid level crafting materials to a low level area would be appropriate.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:54 AM »
Thanks for the responce Knas  :D , I'll just kepp on buggin' highbies  :twisted:

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »

Both of which drop Thick monstrous chitin, but yes, Greater Umber Hulks and Hook Horrors are pretty rare. The Large versions aren't quite so rare, though. More rare than the scarab spawns, but not exceedingly so.

There rare but if you start in the cave in the south woods (the one with the waterfall in front) and work your way underground towards the dwarven mines the odds are decent youll encounter a few. Id say you'll see them about 1 in 4 / 5 trips...of course the odds are about equal that youll see some black slimes too.