You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Quickie on Multi-Classing  (Read 3169 times)

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
Quickie on Multi-Classing
« on: April 05, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »
Am I able to go 19 Wizard, then decide to take 1 rogue as my last level?
I'm not to sure if this is shunned upon, but I'll do it anyways! Unless of course it breaks the rules.

Wanna pump up that OpenLock  :roll:

I plan to log on one last time, and only to kill myself as an example of Garda Oppression.
YO BROHZ! FRONT ON MY BLOG: http://robbythedude.tumblr.com/[/ur

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Quickie on Multi-Classing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 12:55:56 AM »
About multi-classing the rules say the following:
- Classes must be no more than 10 levels apart when multiclassing.

So, 15 wizard / 5 rogue would be the most wizardy combination allowed for the two classes.

Personal opinions on skill dumping aside, it's useless to pick rogue for Pick Lock because wizard needs just a few points in it and items + buffs handle the rest. There's not a single lock in the game that I've found which my wizard couldn't pick. There are other build-wise "good" reasons why multi-classing to rogue is preferred by some players.
My pure wizard gets 35 in pick lock, which is something not even all pure rogues get.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 01:06:12 AM by tzaeru »

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 01:02:07 AM »

So, 15 wizard / 5 rogue would be the most wizardy combination allowed for the two classes.

Personal opinions on skill dumping aside, it's useless to pick rogue for Pick Lock because wizard needs just a few points in it and items + buffs handle the rest. There's not a single lock in the game that I've found which my wizard couldn't pick.
Thinking of it, I am pretty sure no pure rogue gets pick lock to 55 which my pure wizard does get.

How the hell?
My knock doesn't work...You using knock?
WHOA BROH, PLEASE INFORM!

I plan to log on one last time, and only to kill myself as an example of Garda Oppression.

tzaeru

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »

Personal opinions on skill dumping aside, it's useless to pick rogue for Pick Lock because wizard needs just a few points in it and items + buffs handle the rest. There's not a single lock in the game that I've found which my wizard couldn't pick.
Thinking of it, I am pretty sure no pure rogue gets pick lock to 55 which my pure wizard does get.

How the hell?

Err, I thought that wrong a bit. I mean, can do DC 55 locks, not getting the skill to 55. Geez. So asleep, tzaeru, so asleep..

But.. Last I tried knock worked just fine. It adds 1 point / 2 levels to your open lock. Whilst generally items + knock is waay enough, if one adds in Emp. Cat's Grace and Shapechange it goes up to 35 for me, more if you had taken full points in open lock which I have not.

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
How the hell?

On this server, it works as a buff to the open lock skill.  Various other changes here:

http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=2173.0

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 01:46:14 AM »
Thank you to the two of you <3

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 07:22:32 PM »
I'd like if knock could be cast on 'other', too.  Just so it could be used to buff the rogue in the party so the wizard doesn't have to do a one-man show.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 07:32:04 PM »
it can't be, but we have asked for it in the past, hopefully someday a Dev will be inspired

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
I'd like if knock could be cast on 'other', too.  Just so it could be used to buff the rogue in the party so the wizard doesn't have to do a one-man show.

It'd be nice if Knock were 5 + (1/4 caster level) instead of 1/2 caster level. The spell is terribly worthless as scrolls, on items, or as a spell for low levels.

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »

It'd be nice if Knock were 5 + (1/4 caster level) instead of 1/2 caster level. The spell is terribly worthless as scrolls, on items, or as a spell for low levels.

I agree with you on that one, but that might be a tad bit overpowered and shun the rogue a bit.
Being able to cast it on others though.. +1
Should make it happen, that'd be awesome.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
I think the problem is that the 'target' of the spell is hardcoded.

You can change what it does, but not who it does it to.

The only way I can imagine it working with my limited knowledge of NWN scripting, would be to make it affect everyone nearby, giving them the bonus. (Imagine a Bless, but instead of +1 AB it improves Pick Lock by the appropriate amount)

This could work, since there's rarely going to be a situation where many people with good lock pick is a significant advantage to one person with good lockpick.

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 08:45:02 PM »
I think the problem is that the 'target' of the spell is hardcoded.

You can change what it does, but not who it does it to.

The only way I can imagine it working with my limited knowledge of NWN scripting, would be to make it affect everyone nearby, giving them the bonus. (Imagine a Bless, but instead of +1 AB it improves Pick Lock by the appropriate amount)

This could work, since there's rarely going to be a situation where many people with good lock pick is a significant advantage to one person with good lockpick.

+1
It really wouldn't make difference if it targeted one person or the whole crew, just as you said, not to many people will benefit from it.
And if they did benefit from it, I wouldn't think it'd be a problem because obviously the dungeon around the chest has been safely cleared out so the party would open it anyways.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »

I agree with you on that one, but that might be a tad bit overpowered and shun the rogue a bit.
Being able to cast it on others though.. +1
Should make it happen, that'd be awesome.

The bonuses are exactly the same, one merely makes the spell more useful between lower levels or as items with CL 3.

5 + 20/4 = 10
       20/2 = 10

Current     New
Level 5       +2            +6
Level 10     +5            +7
Level 15     +7            +8
Level 20     +10          +10

*Robbythedude*

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:58 PM »
HerpDerp..
Did the math wrong in my head  :?:

I do like that suggested idea, would make it a bit more useful for the lower-level casters.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:48 PM »
Maybe that suggestion should be pulled off into a seperate one about Knock, then. :P