Author Topic: Weight problem  (Read 2175 times)

Green Monster

• Undead Master
  • Nougat-pilfering cheese-cretin
Weight problem
« on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:31 PM »
No, my character isn't getting fat. I'm just wondering if there's any way that umbrellas, fans, and violin bows could all be made to weigh less. They weigh 4 lbs each, that's more than a bit excessive. Umbrellas in real life weigh about 1 lb afaik (and I don't mean modern ones made of aluminum), and fans and violin bows should weigh even less. Would it be possible to give them reduced weight property without raising their prices?

Oh, and also, the papers you get back from the Presses du Savoir in Port-a-lucine all weigh 0.5 lbs when most papers weigh nothing. And the papers you get from the press cant be burned in a fire like normal paper either.

I'm sure this has probably been brought up before, but I was unable to find it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:31:28 AM by Green Monster »
Sadie Halloway (nope, no giant graphic, sorry ;-P )

Miuo

Re: Weight problem
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
Same general topic http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=22464.0

But a bump on this, i agree Miuo is getting so bogged down with things that i'v picked up to help enhance rp. :bump:

Miuo

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 07:26:15 PM »

Miuo

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 10:30:22 PM »
:bump: Biweekly forum bump :dancing: :cheer:

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:23:34 AM »
Ditto all of this.  I run my characters pretty darn close to the razor's edge on weight, simply because I don't tend to make gorillas out of them during creation.  I went to the store to buy an umbrella for one of them, saw the weight, and simply skipped it.  Along with the fan, different outfits, and extra anything.  Although it may be somewhat realistic to have certain weights on items and have them take up a certain amount of space, the fact that its an utter pain in the butt to store ANYTHING in-game makes it unfeasible to utilize a lot of these items.  If every time I wanted to switch between adventure/roleplay I had to run back and forth to the Warehouse (or Sotre) and pay more fang to collect what I wanted and store what I didn't need (or buy it again) for the upcoming task, I could just as well never leave the Warehouse/Store.  And there isn't much of an RP crowd hanging out in those places.   :D

If you want actual realism, let me rent an apartment in town, store my crap there, and have it be persistent between reboots.   ;)  Until then, maybe we can find a solution to the weight issues?  I mean, IRL, my character wouldn't wander around constantly in armor and with weapons, carrying all of their life on their back, so occasionally having a fan or umbrella would not be a weight issue.  But, since I have to store everything on them like a pack mule, I will guarantee the Weapons and Armor will be favored over the fashion accessories until they come WAY down in weight.  Since this is an RP server first and foremost, it stands to reason you would want to facilitate that, even if it meant literally standing around handing out free, weightless, otherwise useless RP fashion items...mugs, umbrellas, fans, instruments, books, and what have you.  The fun stuff that has no value while fighting off a werewolf in the forest.

Just some random thoughts.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
There's a way to store the stuff you don't carry with you IC in the Warehouse District, I think.

Still, wouldn't mind seeing RP items be a bit lighter.

Badelaire

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 08:16:37 AM »
Wouldn't mind seeing plate back to its original weight value of 50lbs basic :/

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:10 AM »
There's a way to store the stuff you don't carry with you IC in the Warehouse District, I think.

Still, wouldn't mind seeing RP items be a bit lighter.

Sure.  And every time you want it, you have to walk there, pay the fee, walk back, RP, then walk there, store it again, and walk back for a second time.  Thats literally all you would be doing if you wanted to store commonly used items at the Warehouse.  And thats a lot of work for a violin, umbrella, or fan.  Its very handy for storing a heavy object you rarely use (or want to sell)...other than that, not so much.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »
Wouldn't mind seeing plate back to its original weight value of 50lbs basic :/

I'm happy with my 48lbs plate.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
there is one Full Plate weighing in at a mere 90lbs out there