You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Suggestion  (Read 2648 times)

Taty

• Dark Power
Suggestion
« on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
 Any who have been on POTM for any length of time know that server crashes with roll backs are a constant danger. Last night we had one where many of us lost about 4 hours worth of play rewards. Now I know the onus is on us to save (which of course I and most of my party did not do) but it occurred to me that since the server is responsible for the problem, perhaps it could play a role in a safeguard.

I am not a techy person so I really do not know how practical this suggestion is but would it perhaps be possible to have the server auto save ones character every time they passed through a transition ? If so it would save a lot of headaches and make future crashes and roll backs less profound.

~Taty~

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 08:58:39 AM »
Autosaving is possible. I've known it from a server I played on. It saved like once every 15 minutes.

Might be well be worth it to try prevent the agony of rollbacks.

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:01 AM »
Now I know the onus is on us to save (which of course I and most of my party did not do)

For what it's worth, I was saving religiously last night and *still* lost everything in the rollback.  Whatever happened with that crash, I'm not sure autosaving would've made a difference  :(

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
Koopa troopa server only saves when you login and out and in again.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

urathraviel

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:37:27 AM »
hmm so what does the 'save character' radial option do than?

Vespertilio

• Never met a Dark Lord, not a
  • Dark Power
  • We can't stop here, this is bat country!
    • Messages from Nihil
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
Logging off and back on is worth doing to be assured you won't lose items or rollback.  Not something to do every time you wish to save but, in cases of level up, buying a rare-ish item or gaining a lot of gold, it is worth doing.  It only takes a few seconds to do, and better safe than sorry when it comes to something that might be lost in a rollback and can't be replaced.

I could just run into the room and punch you in the balls; sure, that's scary. That's entertainment. But it isn't horror...

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:39 PM »
hmm so what does the 'save character' radial option do than?
This.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
My old server also had an autosave script every 15 minutes or so. Though it's save character option also worked to prevent anything lost during a crash as well. Last night I had to get a few items placed through both crashes, regardless of the fact I used the save character option on the radial menu.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 03:29:26 PM »
Well if a crash corrupts the current information, then you would have to load an older variation that is uncorrupted, and under these very rare circumstances, you would loose everything saved after that point