Author Topic: Thoughts on items on the ground?  (Read 3448 times)

Miuo

Thoughts on items on the ground?
« on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:40 PM »
Normally when i'm walking about i will pick up all dropped items all items from kills and the like to make things less cluttered or laggy. The only time i ever set items out is when ever Miuo donates to the ML temple, which i leave all near the door. Usually the items are picked through quickly enough and the rest is gathered up and sold.

The other day while rp'ing with another at Deg a woman came through went to the NPC sold things before going to the side room to rest, not before tossing a rusted blade onto the ground and then leaving. I kindly Pm'ed her to ask if she could put the item in the trash barrel, which was only just outside the side room door. She said she didn't know there was one, i told her where it was. Only to receive a message saying "As a CN char i sometimes do this, so do -Not Tell me how to play this game" .

I failed to really see the point how being CN equaled being a litter bug of this. . .but it got me thinking, is there a way we can add perhaps a timer onto items, and if they are left out after so long the go poof o.o?

Which also got me thinking about merchant. And i thought it would be a neat idea to add kind of a merchant stall set us, something like this where the tables have inventory pages. Figured since most large items are kept as Bank Notes, also the cover over the table and merchant would help keep the wares safe from the effects of the elements such as rain and such.

What are peoples thoughts on making it so doors close automatically after being left open for a said amount of time? I personally find when tons of doors all left open during the middle of the night somewhat atmosphere breaking. Then agains these are just personal thoughts would like to here what others thinks ^-^
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:25:42 AM by Knas »

Saruven

• Outlander
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »
What are peoples thoughts on making it so doors close automatically after being left open for a said amount of time? I personally find when tons of doors all left open during the middle of the night somewhat atmosphere breaking. Then agains these are just personal thoughts would like to here what others thinks ^-^

How about, the more your ratio of opening doors to closing doors skews, the greater the chance to randomly encounter a weredoor in the wilderness.  An unsuccessful saving throw against the weredoor's bite transforms you into an open door.  Completely immobile, all you can do is plead with passing adventurers to close you, as it is the only thing that will break the spell.  That should fix the problem of people leaving doors open.

MadMage99

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »
the only problem I see with all these is that they'd require scripts to run constantly to check for these conditions. Therefore we must ask ourselves, what's more lag-inducing? litter left everywhere? or a script going off to clean it up. Plus items accidently getting deleted because they dropped on death would be annoying...

So here's my vote. Items that get left for more then say.. a day. get eaten. pretend some scavenger or monster made off with them. Merchant stalls sounds downright smexy. andI don't care about doors... go ahead. leave it open. just don't cry when the DM rushes a pack of weremink in to punish you.  ;)

GunzNrosZ

• Outlander
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 12:28:15 AM »
When I get lag on nwn , I shut the game off and reboot my comp. That always solves my lag problem if I have any at all.

As to the person leaving the item on the ground....thats one of many items that gets left on the ground be it from players purposely putting them there or just not picking up all of a kill. That happens all the time in Port. But all the bodys vanish at dawn. Port being only one of the many places drops get left.

Doors being closed.  Another I could careless about. I have some characters that close all door others only when other characters are round and some that dont at all.
As was said before. If a DM runs a bunch of nueri in so be it.

But Muio why didnt you say something in character instead of sending this person a pm. Seems more of a personal problem of yours more then anything else.
In real life do you as every perosn that throws a cigerete butt on the ground to pick it up?  To send a pm to someone about that seems like your spoiling there imersion in the game to me. But asking them in character, now thats the way to go.

Anyway when lag gets too bad DMs restart the game. Win /win there.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:37 AM »
random thoughts or on this?

cause i could go for some rum...yet i need some sleep aswell kinda late...or early here depends how you see the proverbial glass.

i rather not have permenant stalls out there at time the outskirts are lagggggggy      as for the doors  most do close automaticly but takes awhile.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Miuo

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:39 AM »
My char couldn't see what the women was doing, less i can see through walls, and i also don't see how that equals immersion when the char is alone in a room? If i do actually see things left about i do try to rp my character upset about such that people are to lazy to walk a few feet over to throw something out rather then tossing it where they stand, or with her anger that people needlessly kill something and do not put it to use.

If her char was trying to create a sense of immersion they could of added a @mark saying someone had carelessly dumped their unwanted junk on the floor and left it. Just dumping items without any rp, or mark left behind to add to it seems just lazy to me. And if i saw someone flicking Cigerete butts all over the place i woulds say something, since the act is just ignorant.

And yush, i agree if such would only add possible lag then it is not worth it. On the door note though, iv never seen a DM or herd of a DM doing that because people have left doors open, iv seen them spawn things that forced there way in. But nothing thats ever wandered in on its own, Garda need to crack down on the ill mannered outlanders! With them leaving doors open, running around half naked and dumping trash all over! :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:52:20 AM by Miuo »

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:25:25 AM »
First off, please be a bit mindful not to bring the personal quarrel you had with the player into the discussion and I edited to the topic to suit the .. well topic.

Items on the ground don't create that big a lag issue. (Not saying it doesn't create lag so please don't create unnecessary litter) our server is strong enough to handle it and with resets they're cleaned out anyway. I don't think a script like that is necessary.

I believe it was brought up in the past and that the majority of people didn't mind being able to browse the items on the ground. Also being able to spawn larger placeables will be very open to abuse as you'd be able to block stuff with them.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:41:29 AM »
well, as far as some areas there could be a trash fairy put in maybe? Of course it wouldn't be a fairy, but the concept is the same. A creature which will go around at certain intervals, pick up things on the ground, and deposit them into the trash can.  If you wanted to keep a donation area inside the church, then just make a donation box, and people can put stuff in it for donation items, and anything left on the ground could just be cleaned up by a ml temple acolyte (trash fairy). I'd say that would be a simple fix, I don't think that the scripts running for that in one or two area's would cause too much clutter/lag.

Or, just make a temple shop with the trash fairy, ie, low cost items for sale, but wont buy anything.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Prefabs.Detail&id=661

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
Re: Thoughts on items on the ground?
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
The problem is some people come from  servers where responsibility is scripted , leave the doors, it starts conversation & adds to the realism

ThAnswr

• Dark Power
  • We all end up the same: Level 20 or dead.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »
If hides, weapons, skins, herbs, etc. are being left on the ground, the smart thing is to pick them up and sell them.  You can make a small fortune picking up rat corpses other players have left behind. 

It can even be made part of one's rp.  It's not glamourous, but the coin does add up. 

Sig by Garison

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter Thompson

"Rock is overpowered, paper is just about right" - Scissors
Thanks Aahz

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »
Big credit to merchants for doing what they are doing. ;)

Thankless job being a PC merchant, much like a DM's sometimes.

They need encouraging.

dark_majico

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:56:18 PM »

But Muio why didnt you say something in character instead of sending this person a pm. Seems more of a personal problem of yours more then anything else.
In real life do you as every perosn that throws a cigerete butt on the ground to pick it up?  To send a pm to someone about that seems like your spoiling there imersion in the game to me. But asking them in character, now thats the way to go.

I suspect if Muio had have said something in character then said person would have just burst out with a vile (ooc) rant. Only differense between that and the tell is it would have been public.

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 06:46:35 AM »

How about, the more your ratio of opening doors to closing doors skews, the greater the chance to randomly encounter a weredoor in the wilderness.  An unsuccessful saving throw against the weredoor's bite transforms you into an open door.  Completely immobile, all you can do is plead with passing adventurers to close you, as it is the only thing that will break the spell.  That should fix the problem of people leaving doors open.

What ever happened to Mimic's too?  Treasure chests that eat you when you open them... 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
What ever happened to Mimic's too?  Treasure chests that eat you when you open them...

Fourth edition.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 12:12:14 PM »
I've considered the mimic, trapper, lurker above, cloaker, and the executioner's hood just one small step up from the wandering damage table. They are just silly.

http://screamsheet.wordpress.com/2010/12/31/the-room-of-death/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:15:23 PM by Aahz »
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 06:30:51 AM »
mimics. . .I seem to remember a rather nice mimic for nwn at one point, haven't seen it for ages though. . .I will do a little looking.

*after some looking*
 I have found such. . .
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Creatures.Detail&id=251

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=37

I think I like the script one more than the creature one, but I guess they would have to be tested.

DM Tarokka

• Dark Power
  • Fata volentem ducunt, nolentem trahunt
    • Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 07:53:32 AM »
Big credit to merchants for doing what they are doing. ;)

Thankless job being a PC merchant, much like a DM's sometimes.

They need encouraging.

Definitely.
http://www.facebook.com/CiaranII
Pokemon Go! 5688 6574 4676

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
mimics. . .I seem to remember a rather nice mimic for nwn at one point, haven't seen it for ages though. . .I will do a little looking.

*after some looking*
 I have found such. . .
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Creatures.Detail&id=251

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Scripts.Detail&id=37

I think I like the script one more than the creature one, but I guess they would have to be tested.

lol that script is very cool.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »
Mimics are already included in CEP I believe :) the creature appearance at least.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
ME GO GEM.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Sewerprince

• Undead Slayer
  • Sometimes it be like that
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
Garda need to crack down on the ill mannered outlanders! With them leaving doors open, running around half naked and dumping trash all over! :D

This is how the Garda see all the trash  :P
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRUgkhxu26Q[/youtube]
Hargen-Caliban Artist Extraordinare
Pavel Leclerq-Tradesman For Hire
Costin Banicu-Garda With That Dawg In Him

Miuo

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
Ahahahhahah :wakka: