Author Topic: Question about the XP cap and duration  (Read 4930 times)

Kagetora

• Undead Master
Question about the XP cap and duration
« on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
So, for days now I've been getting the "you are getting too much XP" messages when I rest.  I really don't play all that much...just in the evenings.  I even took the entire day off yesterday, didn't even log in.  What the heck do I have to do to stop getting this message?  I mean, at this point, I can't even really play it seems like.  RP gives XP, adventuring gives XP, do I just have to log on and leave myself somewhere for hours?

I guess I don't understand the system.  Could someone explain a bit more in depth?

Thanks.

Vaku

• Undead Slayer
Re: Question about the XP cap and duration
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:59 PM »
Just to start this post off, you are allowed to keep gathering xp and rping without losing any speed on your real level. From what I understand, we level at the same pace with respective levels.

I suppose what happens is that the messages scale with the amount of xp the cap allows you to gather.

To better illustrate, imagine you do an action the gathers you 10xp. 10 is the average xp you are able to gather from that action.
If you continue gathering xp, the script will recognize the pace you are advancing in your level and lower the gain, to say, 8xp.  If you are slowing down at gathering xp with your peers of the respective level you get an increase to xp. It will then go to 12xp if you are not playing as often. I believe there are extremes but they do not ever really cap I think. Not sure though.

Think of the scale like this.

2xp 4xp 6xp 8xp 10xp 12xp 14xp 16xp 18xp
                         |                        |                              |
               Playing A Lot!            Average                 Not Playing A Lot!

Each number comes with their own message, 10 being the standard. 2xp would be something like the "Proverbial wall" message and 18xp the "You are falling behind" or something like that message.

I don't have all the messages down but I believe that gives a relatively clear image. Anyways, what should be gathered here is that no matter the pace you advance in your level you will be about the same level as your peers given you play regularly. You will get your level when the math works itself out. So in essence, take a couple days off from the game if the mood hits you or do some hardcore grinding in a craft or RP.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:21:06 PM by Vaku »

Bato

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
You still get experience, just it's cut down. Take heart in one thing, when you get to higher levels it'll start to take hardcore farming for several days to hit the cap.
My low levels always hit proverbial wall easily and without even trying. But I have actually tried to get my level 11 to the wall. I got bored before I got off fresh enough to take in more.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
Yeah, it seems as if I am just going to live there for now.  I took another couple of days off from my main, and when I rested last night, I was back to the "take in whatever the mists can throw at you" message.  It lasted until the next rest, 30 minutes or so later.   :?

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 09:13:03 AM »
You still get experience, just it's cut down. Take heart in one thing, when you get to higher levels it'll start to take hardcore farming for several days to hit the cap.
My low levels always hit proverbial wall easily and without even trying. But I have actually tried to get my level 11 to the wall. I got bored before I got off fresh enough to take in more.

Used to be the opposite, high levels were capped easily, there was time when Suz was always capped just from rp, now she only gets a satisfied or better in a serious dungeon or a dm event.

Actually I find the new xp messages confusing, they seem to roll back all the time, I don't know what they mean any more.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
Actually I find the new xp messages confusing, they seem to roll back all the time, I don't know what they mean any more.
Ditto.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »
Ditto.

Third-ed
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:44:18 PM »
I never pay any attention to the caps or the messages, I just keep playing and having, when I level; I level but I don't pay much attention to it till I level.

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:01:49 PM »
Ditto.

Third-ed
Quattroed.....I just keep watching for "trivial"

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
I never pay any attention to the caps or the messages, I just keep playing and having, when I level; I level but I don't pay much attention to it till I level.

Best possible attitude. Usually the case with RP characters because they have busy lives and purposes that dont involve killing things and looting. I'm much more aware of my dungeoner characters xp than my rp characters.

~Taty~

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »

Best possible attitude. Usually the case with RP characters because they have busy lives and purposes that dont involve killing things and looting. I'm much more aware of my dungeoner characters xp than my rp characters.

~Taty~

'Dungeoner characters'? 'RP characters'?

wut?

Since when couldn't one be both? O_o

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:13:29 AM »

wut?

:thumbup:

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 04:52:09 AM »

Could you help me track down this 'rolling back' preferably by screenshots or exact feedback messages? I wonder if something is up.

One thing that could influence it though is the many crashes due to hackers lately and their crashing the server.

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »

wut?

:thumbup:

Never said they couldn't, but mine tend to be polarised, and surely you know there are pc's who do not dungeon.

Kagetora

• Undead Master
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 09:33:08 PM »

Could you help me track down this 'rolling back' preferably by screenshots or exact feedback messages? I wonder if something is up.

One thing that could influence it though is the many crashes due to hackers lately and their crashing the server.

I got this to happen to me as well.  No screenshots, sorry...wasn't EXPECTING it to happen, so I didn't take any the first time I rested.

Basically, I got the "becoming trivial" message one rest, then all subsequent rests it has gone back to "far along your chosen path/mastery" messages.  And constant threats about getting too much XP and needing to slow down.   :?  I think if that were actually true, I might have levelled sometime in the last 3 days.   :P

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 03:41:17 AM »
Ditto.
Third-ed
Quattroed.....I just keep watching for "trivial"
++1
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Khornite

• Grognard
  • Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »
So, for days now I've been getting the "you are getting too much XP" messages when I rest.  I really don't play all that much...just in the evenings.  I even took the entire day off yesterday, didn't even log in.  What the heck do I have to do to stop getting this message?  I mean, at this point, I can't even really play it seems like.  RP gives XP, adventuring gives XP, do I just have to log on and leave myself somewhere for hours?

I guess I don't understand the system.  Could someone explain a bit more in depth?

Thanks.

During my time on the server I danced with the cap more then anyone I knew. In the long run it really doesn't make a difference at all. Me personally, I avoided it like the plague, others seem to just grind through it and we pretty much progressed at the same rate, it's really just a matter of preference. Personally I never understood the point of it or why it was thought of as a good idea and the more I found out about the mechanics behind it, the less sense it made. So, in all honesty it doesn't make a difference, the time you loose from avoiding it is time that could have been spent gathering EXP and pushing through the cap, so really...it makes no difference.
"No, you." -Captain America

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 04:40:31 PM »
Make alternate characters.  Hit the cap, switch to someone else.  By the time you reach the proverbial wall with one guy, you're back to fresh with that other guy.  Make a few alternate characters, and make the most of your time if you have it.  If you don't have much time, make an alt anyway.  Alternates are good things to have regardless.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 05:53:09 AM »

Taty

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 10:29:11 AM »
I think I may have been confused by the change in messages, both the thriving and new dawns  messages which used to decribe how close one was to level now seem to describe your most recent activity. Both of those messages were the ones I thought was rolling back.

~Taty~

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
I think I may have been confused by the change in messages, both the thriving and new dawns  messages which used to decribe how close one was to level now seem to describe your most recent activity. Both of those messages were the ones I thought was rolling back.

~Taty~

That is the same thing that has been happening to my two 9th level chars. Thanks Taty i could not figure out why i was not leveling.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Shadowthrone

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 11:20:07 AM »

I've noticed that the progress message (how far you are through your level) seems to go back when you havn't been gaining much xp, for example I could see the midway message after gaining a proud but then get the previous message on my next rest when nothing much has happened.

WildPirate13

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 11:53:10 AM »
I have noticed roll backs.. as well. There may be a number of reasons. One thing I did notice which was very odd one day my Character Sheet had a 0 for exp... and did for a few days after I noticed. My exp is lets say higher. I sent a tell to the DM channel no response and then a tell to I think Jugnaut or Ivan and the next day my exp was back to above zero. One thing I dont like about the hidden exp is that it is not known.. the other thing that I like about the exp system it you cant easily number crunch activity for best exp gain... reducing hardcore grinding.
 Maybe a monthly email report to your exp could be useful lol... like that would happen. Rollbacks happen...

Saruven

• Outlander
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »
the other thing that I like about the exp system it you cant easily number crunch activity for best exp gain... reducing hardcore grinding.

I don't really see a point to hiding the XP.  The way the XP cap seems to work keeps people leveling at the same average rate so there's not really a point in knowing how to grind XP optimally.

The exceptions would be if you earn so little XP you're under the tail of the XP cap, or if you earn so much you're above the head of the XP cap.  I don't think it's humanly possible to level to 20 completely through "mental and physical exhaustion", though.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 12:36:57 AM »
I've known lots and lots of people who manage to "number crunch" and grind out the best xp gains just using the rest messages. I doubt having the xp hidden really changes that much.
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."