You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: HELP! Multiple Connections - Same IP  (Read 2263 times)

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
HELP! Multiple Connections - Same IP
« on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »
Tonight I downloaded and set up PoTM on my friend Ashley's laptop, everything was going smoothly, until we both attempted to log onto the server at the same time.

When I logged in, it disconnected her, but left her character standing there. When she logged back in, the first copy of her character remained standing there, and a new carbon copy version was created and placed in the OOC lounge, and disconnected me, leaving a copy of Jadow standing there. When I logged back in, the process repeated. Disconnecting her, leaving her standing there, and creating a copy of Jadow.

Then, it would like.. move me around between the various copies, of both MINE and HER character.

I have a feeling it has to do with the Ports or some such. But any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Jadow Valroth - Fighter/Rogue
Chanler Dermar - Cleric of Pelor
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Victor Malvaious - Paladin
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Jerrick Malas - Fighter/WM
Myth Valandil - Bard

BrightLights

• Outlander
Re: HELP! Multiple Connections - Same IP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 03:18:18 AM »
That's how it is--it's an NWN problem, not you guys, and not the server. IP addresses on multiple accounts and the like can't log in at the same time--it either crashes the server, or... something? RL probably has something in place to boot either one of you as the other logs in, to prevent that.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:38:12 AM »
This is screwing things up big time for me.

Two Alexandria's on the log in list before entering the server.
'Alexandria' is "nearby" but she's not.
She isn't even on Jinx's playerlist.
Vasco just sent me a tell, can't respond, he's not on my playerlist...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:40:03 AM by AcidZealot »

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40:32 AM »
Regarding multiple computers on the same network and Neverwinter Nights online play:

Quote from: Bioware technical support
If you have multiple computers behind a firewall and you want to play multiplayer with 2 or more of them at the same time, you must ensure the Client Port setting for each computer is set to a different value. You will find this entry in the file nwnplayer.ini Simply double click on it to open it, and look for the Client Port= line in the [Profile] section. Change this from the default value of 5120 on each machine. You have to stay in a certain range, so use numbers like 5121, 5122, 5123, etc.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »
Yeah, that was us.

What's odd about this is, when I first started playing here, it was me and two other friends playing from the same connection, at the same time. So all three of us were playing and there was never an issue. I tried the port deal, making hers 5121 and mine 5122.. But it had the same effect.
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:42:48 PM »
There is a value for the Game Port and also a Client Port in the nwnplayer.ini file. The Game Port value appears before the Client Port does, however the Client Port is the correct one to alter in this case. It might warrant double-checking that you have altered the correct value in the file.

I'm afraid I am unaware of alternative solutions to that particular problem if everything does check out however.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 11:54:11 PM »
I got this off of neverwinterconnections.com

If you have multiple computers behind a firewall and you want to play multiplayer with 2 or more of them at the same time, you must ensure the Client Port setting for each computer is set to a different value. You will find this entry in the file nwnplayer.ini Simply double click on it to open it, and look for the Client Port= line in the [Profile] section. Change this from the default value of 5120 on each machine. You have to stay in a certain range, so use numbers like 5121, 5122, 5123, etc.

Jadow_Valroth

• Undead Slayer
    • My facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
Oooohh... I changed GAME PORT, not CLIENT PORT.. I'll have to do that next time she is here. I was having issues changing that file at all on her computer however.

Everytime I attempted to change a value and save, it would go to Save AS, and then not allow me to even do that. I'll have to scope it out.. Fuggin windows 7.
Ravish Yale - Wizard
Kaliev Valen - Druid
Myth Valandil - Bard

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 07:48:11 AM »
Oooohh... I changed GAME PORT, not CLIENT PORT.. I'll have to do that next time she is here. I was having issues changing that file at all on her computer however.

Everytime I attempted to change a value and save, it would go to Save AS, and then not allow me to even do that. I'll have to scope it out.. Fuggin windows 7.

The game is most likely installed to a location where administrative privileges are required to modify content. To get around that you can run Notepad in administrator mode and then open the file (Right click on shortcut/executable, Run as administrator from the drop-down menu) or alternatively you can save the file you are attempting to edit to another location where such privileges are not mandatory for modifications (such as Desktop), make the changes there and then copy and paste the modified file back to the original location.