Author Topic: Dodge...?!  (Read 5647 times)

harlock

• Undead Slayer
Re: Dodge...?!
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 12:07:03 AM »
If it is meant as a counter to attack rolls, i guess you are aware that no character of that level has any chance of matching that roll with his BAB in touch attack rolls. Even in grapple checks that is nearly impossible to match. But obviously, it is quite common as a counter to attack rolls.

I use dodge only when dm is asking me to, like: "in the floor some armst starting to appear " i use dodge to avoid them etc. as for the attack rolls like touch attack etc i send in pm my AC that i find the normal counter for attacks :)

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
Well there has always been a misconception of what AC is, most think its like DC [Target number for skill] and a flat number.
When infact it works like a skill. In PnP you can take 10/20 on skills. These mean that you automatically get the result of you rolling a 10 or a 20 [20 is only under very very unimportant rolls] and then you add your skill modifier. Now AC works exactly like a skill that you take 10 on. There are optional rules where you do an opposed roll vs attack. This results in a more complicated and time consuming system

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 03:08:40 AM »
In PnP you can take 10/20 on skills. These mean that you automatically get the result of you rolling a 10 or a 20 [20 is only under very very unimportant rolls] and then you add your skill modifier. Now AC works exactly like a skill that you take 10 on.
I don't remember that rule, regardless whether it exists or not, taking 10/20 considers the roller to have attempted the task 10/20 times and/or taken 10/20 times as long to do the task.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 06:47:36 AM »
In PnP you can take 10/20 on skills. These mean that you automatically get the result of you rolling a 10 or a 20 [20 is only under very very unimportant rolls] and then you add your skill modifier. Now AC works exactly like a skill that you take 10 on.
I don't remember that rule, regardless whether it exists or not, taking 10/20 considers the roller to have attempted the task 10/20 times and/or taken 10/20 times as long to do the task.
I am not sure whether that is in fact written somewhere in the tomes of knowledge - but HellsPanda is right there. That is the very principle that D20 is based on when nit comes to opposing checks. The base AC of 10 is - taking the game mechanics into account - the same as Take10 on behalf of the defender, which delivers the average result of rolling a D20, spares one rolling every time and still bears a significant chance of a failure in many situations.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
Take 20 assumes taking 20 attempts and 20x the time, generally using brute force things. You're going to fail over an over before you succeed, so it's only used on tasks with no consequence of failure (For example, Escape Artist to get out of ropes binds in an unguarded room)

As a comparison, it's like practicing for a Long Jump personal best, repeatedly performing the task, sometimes botching your jumps, sometimes getting alright results, but eventually making it after enough attempts.

Taking 10 assumes one careful attempt without taking much risks, with time to concentrate and focus on the task (not being threatened). For example, say your long jump personal best is 6m, and there's you're standing in front of a pit that's 4m across and has spikes at the bottom.

Instead of getting the fastest, best runup you can, sacrificing control, you go a little slower, control your movement, and take one good leap that hasn't got the power to get you anywhere near your record, but dosen't have the chance of slipping up, tripping, or otherwise blundering and falling to your death, whilst having enough distance to clear the gap. It makes no difference if you make it by half a meter or two whole ones. It does make a difference if you don't make it.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 09:02:11 AM »
yes, thats how the skills work.
I was speaking mechanically.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

Seems you've got one over me there, I've personally not heard of AC being rolled, but it might just be that I took a simplified rule and ran with it.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2011, 12:21:15 PM »

Seems you've got one over me there, I've personally not heard of AC being rolled, but it might just be that I took a simplified rule and ran with it.
That's going quite off-topic now... and it is highly theoretical.
No, in DnD AC is not rolled for - but the system is basically the same as if the defender would have the option to roll and just always takes ten to speed it up.

I fear your interpretation of take-10 and take-20 are slightly too sophisticated for a mechanism that simply deals with statistics.
Take ten represents a - or rather: EACH - single try, because in an ideal world where statistics work, the average result of any number of rolls on a D20 is 10.
Take twenty assumes that you have an unlimited number of tries and that a failure has no consequences - so if you try long enough, you will eventually get a twenty which represents the best result you can achieve at that time.

Yes... essentially that was in fact what you wrote, but with another focus.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

KBlackwell

• Undead Slayer
  • Back, after 10 years
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
Is there another [attack] vs [defence] system in place for actual attacks?  Something that could actually be roleplayed with, instead of just left clicking and letting them fight it out.  I've seen more than a few times when [attack] vs [defence] should have been used instead of [TA] vs [Dodge], and with [Dodge] being fixed, I think we really need one.
Adelaide D'Amore - Deceased.
Sylveen Cassowary - Active

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 07:20:04 AM »
They attack with their AB vs. your AC.

Would be cool to have a system that just displayed such, like the Dodge one now does.

( Then again, you will sort of have to take in things like vs. Evil, vs. Race, etc, out of the system )