Author Topic: Zalaph...  (Read 5003 times)

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
Zalaph...
« on: March 05, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »
Okay, so it was to become an epic battle betwin Zalaph the shadow dragon and Fabius Rakarth the prophet of WAR! Fangs and claws meeting cold steel and an iron will....
Fabius stood victorious raising the bloodthirster to to roof, his plated boot on the head of Zalaph and roared out his war cry to his lord.

Now to the topic...and i want to make sure all know that this is no complain or anything, just a question upon if this is right or something wrong with the script maybe.

It was a rather high spawn in the coal mine...
On Zalaph i found a diamond, a diamond ring, an emerald, 50 gold coins.
There was nothing more on him, not even the dragon blood.
Nothing else was either to be found in his cave.

Just wonder if this is correct or something wrong with his loot maybe as that seems to be a bit punny consider what you have to fight to get it  :D
If this is as it should then it be all fine with me as the battle it self is rather rewarding ;)

//Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 08:00:34 AM by Metal_ash »

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Zalaph...
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:27:18 AM »
I meant to mention this too. Incredibly disappointing goods, especially from a dragon like that.  :o

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 10:30:03 AM »
Isn't a normal diamond worth ~2000 in raises?

Metal_ash

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
A normal diamond as that one i found is worth 2000 indeed when it comes to raise.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
Sounds like a good-ish haul, then.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
It isn't. One diamond isn't that great.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
What would be considered a good-ish haul in value?

4000g? 8000?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:54:51 PM »
That loot is actually rather good in terms of value. The problem is that gold is underevaluated. That haul was around 7000 in value.

shadymerchant

• Dark Power
  • Legendary Pimp Cat (Circa 1876)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
For one of the toughest NPC's on the server, fought only by the highest level parties, that is a small reward. The risk is a complete party wipe at the least, and a DM placing crippling curses on you in other cases. When a party is willing to face Zalaph in order to attain 7000 gold, which could very well be 1500 a piece, then you will know the server economy is strained. As it is, it's just the challenge that makes it worth the trek for the rare players that are looking for it. Arguably, that might be the intent and if so that works.

Strigoi

• Vampire Extraordinaire
  • Dark Power
  • i never drink vine...
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:26 PM »
well if you think about it, Zalaph's real wealth is stashed behind the Dwarf kings throne.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
For one of the toughest NPC's on the server, fought only by the highest level parties, that is a small reward. The risk is a complete party wipe at the least, and a DM placing crippling curses on you in other cases. When a party is willing to face Zalaph in order to attain 7000 gold, which could very well be 1500 a piece, then you will know the server economy is strained. As it is, it's just the challenge that makes it worth the trek for the rare players that are looking for it. Arguably, that might be the intent and if so that works.

True. If I wanted money, I'd go on a bounty killing spree in Port-a-Lucine for easily more than 7000gp. From someone like Zalaph, I'd rather see the possibility of some rare equipment along with that jewelry. At least that would make sense to me for a dragon's hoard.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:15:53 AM »

True. If I wanted money, I'd go on a bounty killing spree in Port-a-Lucine for easily more than 7000gp. From someone like Zalaph, I'd rather see the possibility of some rare equipment along with that jewelry. At least that would make sense to me for a dragon's hoard.

But then if there was only the possibility of rare equipment, and not guarantee, we'd stilll end up with fights that only turned up minor loot stashes.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:41:48 AM »
Zalaph isnt much of a challenge for the high level chars, and if he had a guarantee of great loot, no one would ever find anything living in the Coal Mines.
Keep him at the same as he is now, maybe up the chance for some items [but not to much]
And the blood never actually did anything

Blacky Rose

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »

Perhaps Zalaph could drop reagents that could be used in various crafting systems which might result in Dragon blood varnish, Dragon horn composite bow, Dragon scale armor etc.
Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:46 AM »

But then if there was only the possibility of rare equipment, and not guarantee, we'd stilll end up with fights that only turned up minor loot stashes.

Indeed, but the glass is half-full. We'll also have rare loot instances.

Zalaph isnt much of a challenge for the high level chars, and if he had a guarantee of great loot, no one would ever find anything living in the Coal Mines.
Keep him at the same as he is now, maybe up the chance for some items [but not to much]

Yea, that'd be feasible. And Zalaph is a big challenge for highbies, to me, but that's besides the point.

Emomina

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
The reagent idea from Blacky is great, I would love to see that.
I survived the Blue Water Inn Massacre and all I got was this t-shirt.

Kenkaku

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »

Dragon-hide leathers anyone!  :D

A lot of possibilities from something like a Dragon. Greater Varnishes, Awesome Armour backings, Perhaps teeth to craft exceptionally sharp blades.
I am but a blade, A simple tool of destruction.

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 02:28:46 PM »
Indeed, but the glass is half-full. We'll also have rare loot instances.

Still, it might still result in posts saying 'I killed Zalaph and all I got was this stupid shirt!'.

You might get folk going in there and finding +5 Vorpal Trowels of Smiting, but they'd just be happy with themselves, whilst those going in and finding a few thousand coins worth of junk will be posting to say the loot still needs adjusting.

I suppose it needs a dev to see if the loot you got actually represents an average haul, or if you just really hit the left of the bell curve.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »

Dragon-hide leathers anyone!  :D

A lot of possibilities from something like a Dragon. Greater Varnishes, Awesome Armour backings, Perhaps teeth to craft exceptionally sharp blades.

Sounds pretty awesome, but there's just one problem I see...there's only one dragon around, Zalaph.

I can imagine instances where two people encounter each-other, wearing their dragon scale armors and blades like: "Heyy, where'd you get those dragon materials?" ..."Zalaph, you?" ..."Same". Like Zalaph is some sort of recyclable entity. It would be better if dragons were more common, but that's just not Ravenloft. All the other things you can use for crafting isn't gained from any specific individual which I think is for just this reason.

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 06:09:15 PM »
Sounds pretty awesome, but there's just one problem I see...there's only one dragon around, Zalaph.
Why not move his personal loot to a placeable nearby, like a nest.  When Zalaph is "killed" he could be scripted to send yellow-text describing how he somehow escapes.  Instead of there being a corpse he could just leave.  A few materials could be found in that nest, or about his lair, could fulfil the desire for crafting components.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Anarcoplayba

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 07:47:11 AM »
We can respaw. Why he wouldn't?
Noignar Huillen: Ilmater Cleric.
Hedien Gine: Arrow and Bow Artist.
Dolin Schneim: Dwarven Soldier

Threefold

• Dark Lord
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 09:04:29 AM »
Isn't his power like, linked to the Shadow Crystal, and so ICly he DOES regenerate and replace himself?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53:26 AM »
possibly

Illy-Dan

• Undead Slayer
  • Who is John Galt?
    • Grey Wardens.com
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 04:00:07 AM »
We can respaw. Why he wouldn't?
I don't think the respawning is meant to be all that IC...

To my knowledge its more of an OOC consideration so we don't lose our characters to a single mistake.

"Enemies, as well as lovers, come to resemble each other over a period of time."
— Sydney J. Harris

Hades

• The Tyrant of the Mist
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »

Yeah the blood definitely did something.  Back in beta testing days I played an RDD named Antias.  He was roughly level 18 and befriended Zalaph.  Zalaph willingly gave Antias a vial of blood once per week.  Antias would drink it and if he succeded in the fortitude saving through - One of his Stats would permanently increase.... 
"Alexander the Destroyer"

"In a closed society where everyone is guilty, the greatest crime is getting caught. In a world full of thieves, the greatest sin is stupidity" ~ Hunter S. Thompson